Huskies win an exciting one against Cal with a last minute end zone INT

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

The mindset of the Washington Huskies coming into their matchup against hated Cal was not good. At 3-3 and with some of those losses not even close, the team knew they had to beat Cal to salvage their season. On the cusp of falling out of the Top 25, the Huskies needed a win and needed it bad. They got it with a 28-24 nailbiter over a superior Cal team in rainy conditions.

The strategy coming into this one was to bend but not break. We bent, alright, to the tune of 20 first downs and 462 yards of offense for the Bears. Both teams appeared tight in this game. We had our best two pass catchers make drive-killing drops in this game, and dropped about 3 sure-fire interceptions throughout the game. Cal had miscues of their own, struggling to protect the passer at times. Anderson would run around like a chicken with his head cut off and then throw an ill-advised pass but the Huskies just could not make them pay.

The bend-don't-break strategy worked on their first drive as Cal got it into scoring range but we forced a field goal, and Cal led 3-0.

The Huskies looked like they would strike right back, but Nick Montana stupidly decided before the play who he was going to throw to and that guy was blanketed and the pass intercepted in the end zone. Cal would parlay that into a 10-0 lead as Pat Anderson found Mike Smith from 18 yards out. Cal's slot guy Mike Smith had 10 catches for 138 yards on the day, but dropped a huge pass in the closing moments as well.

Cal got a little bit too cavalier on the next drive and we corrected that with a 53-yard touchdown pass over the top to WR Kevin Smith, making it 10-7. The rest of the game it appeared they left nothing open deep.

The defenses really settled in during the end of the first and most of the second quarter. Cal kicked a field goal to widen the lead to 13-7 heading into halftime.

Deontae Cooper came up huge on the opening kick of the second half, darting through traffic for a 92-yard kickoff return that put the Huskies on top 14-13. It was a thing of beauty, and appeared to stun Cal as we were able to contain their offense for much of the third quarter. However, they managed a drive at the end of the third quarter and regained the lead at 16-14 with a 41-yard field goal.

Cooper struck again early in the 4th quarter as the Huskies offense now looked like it had woken up and was moving the ball down the field pretty well. We had gotten away from the ground game but changed that in the second half and Cooper had 91 yards on the day. He scored from 10 yards out to give us a 21-16 lead.

Cal knew they had to do something and they came up with a great drive. Led by the power running of Calvin Cameron (15 car, 96 yards), the Bears were able to chisel their way through the porous Husky defense and made it 22-21 with a touchdown. They had to go for the 2-point conversion to take a field-goal sized lead, and converted on a nice play from the pistol formation, making it 24-21.

With 2:36 to go, the goal was to score with as little time left as possible. Cal made that difficult however, by bringing up 3rd and long from the 19 yard line and then covering all the short zones. The only thing open was a dagger down the middle and that went to Matthew Berry, who made a huge catch in the end zone that gave us a 28-24 lead.

Cal had 1:08 left to win the game. We had made Pat Anderson very uncomfortable in the pocket in the second half as MLB Ron Flynn (8 sacks on the season) continued to show his ability to make offensive linemen look stupid, and JUCO Transfer Jimmy Hamby continues to blow up the opposing QB.

We got Anderson on the run again on a broken play and it looked like he was going down but he lobbed up a prayer to 6'6" WR Robert Dockery, who came up with it in a crowd for a 50-yard gain. The Huskies really had to regain their composure as coach Clark was going nuts.

Luckily for us, Junior CB Wes Baker made the game-ending play in the final moments. Baker who had been getting either beaten like a drum or carved up all day (choose your description) stayed with his man in the end zone and made a definitive grab then stepped out of bounds to effectively end the game.

Baker doesn't look like much on paper but now has 12 interceptions in his career including 8 last season. The Huskies (4-3) are done with their user games for the rest of the season and hope to win out to get to 10 wins. The 6-star prestige rating is probably a thing of the past, though.

Game had an 1816 Greatest Games score, easily good for #1 for me

2. jfosh

jfosh Super

What can you say about this one?? It was a great game going back and forth the whole way. Washington bent but refused to break inside the redzone. Cal had 6 chances and were forced to kick 3 FG's.

The pick on the final play was horrible...I yelled so loud it woke up everybody in the house. Great game played by both teams. Cal's second loss of the season takes them out of the National Title picture. But the PAC-10 Title is still within reach.

OUR MAIN FOCUS NOW IS TO RUIN UCLA's SEASON!!!!!!

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Hey foshie, I wanted to give you credit you have really improved user-wise on defense. You made a play with the safety that would have made MoGriff proud, picking off a pass. I felt safe just throwing it right at you and you made me pay, almost cost me the game...

4. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Fosh sucks and I cant wait to make Cals season worse then it already is.

5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I taught fosh well....j/k lol

Damn helli, I ain't realize you had 3 losses.

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I lost to the cpu :(

I lost to Stanford with my wife and daughter single-handedly ruining my chances (first play of the game my wife walks in front of the TV and I freak out and get caught for a safety)... then she actually got worse after that if that was possible (repeatedly yelling for me to come help her lol) and my newborn baby girl was screaming the entire game.

I lost a game when I was on Auto to UCLA.