I can't believe its been 20 years

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Nautica, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

Its been 20 years since the release of Nirvana's Nevermind. What an amazing album and one that single handily catapulted grunge rock into main stream media.

The early 90's was a great time for Rock with bands like Pearl Jam, Jane's Addiction, Bush, Alice in Chains, Candlebox, Silverchair, Sponge and STP.

What were some of your guy's favorite songs from that era?

2. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

It also was the end of guys like Axel Rose and Vince Neil, for all intents and purposes.

3. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

the funny thing is that the gunners hit their prime in the early 90's

4. dakota7

They burned out bright on Use Your Illusion.

5. Darkwing

Darkwing One Nation Under God

Who? Lol

6. dakota7

Kids these days.

7. Darkwing

Darkwing One Nation Under God

My girlfriend's dad is a STP fan so I took him down to their free Final Four concert this year. Man you should've seen the wack jobs there lmao, it made up for the terrible music

8. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I remember those days fondly and still have tons of their CDs on my ipod - Alice in Chains (5), Candlebox, Pear Jam (10 including a 2 disc bootlegged jive album I bought in Italy), Smashing Pumkins (whom you didn't mention) (5 plus a bunch of singles), Soundgarden, STP (3), Temple of the Dog (Pearl Jam + Soundgarden = unbelievable album), the "Singles" and "The Crow" soundtracks with lots of the above groups on it.

I listen to just about everything except for disco and pop (Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, Michael Jackson, Madonna, etc) and even though I mostly listen to Hip Hop and R&B now, I'll still listen to anything on my ipod (7200 songs) when the mood strikes. I'll still listen to those above, Blues (John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, etc), Classical (Mozart, Bach, etc), Country (Garth Brooks, Trisha Yearwood), Hip Hop (Lupe, Mos, Cube, Ghostface, etc, etc, etc), lighter Metal (AC/DC, Aerosmith, etc), Heavier Metal (Metallica, Megadeth) Thrash, (Anthrax, D.R.I.), Punk (Dead Kennedys {hence the jello1717}, The Exploited, Charged G.B.H.), R&B (Jill Scott, Anthony Hamilton), Soul (Al Green, Bill Withers), Reggae (from Bob Marley to Patra to Sean Paul), Rock & Roll (Black Crowes, Janis Joplin), and Techno (from mellow stuff like Armen Van Buuren to crazy ass shit like DJ Irene).

For the groups you mentioned, PJ's "Black" is still in my top 5 songs of all time. Despite my 50 most played songs being dominated by Lupe Fiasco, Floetry, and Jill Scott I've got 3 or 4 Smashing Pumpkins songs that made the list. I still remember the first time I saw the video for "Man In The Box" and that and Rooster will always be classics. "He Calls Home" is beyond awesome and there's too many awesome songs from Pearl Jam to even bother listing (they're still in my top 5 favorite bands of all time and were my #1 for quite a while). From STP, "Dead and Bloated" is probably the 1st song I heard from them and will always be a favorite. "Interstate Love Song", "Sex Type Thing", and "Plush" of course are awesome. From Nirvana, my favorites are probably their most popular ones: "Rape Me", "Smells like...", "Heart Shaped Box", "Lithium", etc.

I've been listening solely to Zeppelin this week, but now you've got me in the mood for some grunge! While the 80s was possibly the worst decade for music ever, the 90s was one of the best.

• Like Like x 1
  9. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

I remember when I finished Q course I was sent to Ft Lewis. Pearl Jam, Chains, and Soundgarden was something very new to me, but loved it as soon as I heard it. Still throw it in my stereo at the house or go in the basement and crank up my Strat. It's funny to see the look on my son and his friends when they're over and hear me playing or listening to it.

10. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

jesus what is with the youth movement in the E these days? No culture, no identity.....lol

11. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I HATE billy Corgan, listening to him makes my ears bleed...lol

12. jello1717

Outside of Vedder, Corgan is a better singer than anyone in the bands you listed.

13. dakota7

I like the Pumpkins, more so their early stuff than the later work. I lost interest after Melon Collie

14. jello1717

Ditto. The last album I have from them was either Mellon Collie or the boxset of singles, whichever came last.

15. dakota7

Nah, I bought Adore......that thing hasn't seen the inside of a CD player in 13 years.

16. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

Corgan better than Cornell? I want to know what shit your smoking that allows you to hear that...lol

17. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

One band that was WAY ahead of their time in the early 90's and has one of the greatest song writers, Tool. Probably one of my favorite bands of all time

18. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Gish was my favorite album by the Pumpkins. I'm with Jello on all of the bands mentioned above, we have very similar tastes. Alice in Chains was my all time favorite, especially their Jar of Flies EP. To this day Nutshell is still one of my favorite songs, puts me into a deep trance.

• Like Like x 1
  19. jello1717

I don't know Tool. I might have to check them out.

20. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Good choice, sick drummer. To this day, I still question who is a better drummer, Tool (forget the name) or Jimmy Chamberlan from Pumpkins.

21. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

Tool is probably one of the most talented bands all across since zeppelin.

22. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

Neil Peart

23. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Great post.

For me, grunge music and the music of the early 90's in general is a very personal thing and something that I relate to well with others that also feel that style of music. For one thing I grew up in Seattle, and had a chance to see a lot of it first-hand. Additionally, my family liked to go camping a lot, and I used to take my walkman and a few of these albums and get some perspective time just listening to these albums by myself out in the Pac NW wilderness. Also, the term "grunge" never meant anything to most people in Seattle... It was a term people clung to that were looking for something different and wanted to get into that style of music from other parts of the country. I think it was almost a reaction to the fact that it was something fresh and new that wasn't coming from Los Angeles.. You never heard anybody EVER refer to it as grunge where I lived. It was usually just a debate on the whole which band was best thing... We loved all of them. All these bands ever were - to me - was local rock bands that I loved. That they happened to play their instruments in a slightly different tuning setting, or wear slouchy clothes, meant very little to me.

While most people think of the faster hit songs when they think of these bands, I think the more solemn songs like these are really underrated...

Pearl Jam - Garden

Soundgarden - Searching with my Good Eye Closed (most people think of Superunknown, but Badmotorfinger is a top 10 album of all time for me... They were good enough as a band to really feel listenable... Room a Thousand Years Wide is fucking sick).

Alice in Chains - Nutshell

Temple of the Dog - All Night Thing

Nirvana - Something in the Way

With regards to Nirvana, it's weird to say, but I'm more into them now than I ever was back then. At the time, I considered the other three bands listed above to be more talented / better. I wasn't even really allowed to listen to rock music before say freshman year of high school (1989) due to my mom's religious beliefs, so imagine her consternation when this became the only thing I listened to. So anyway bands like Nirvana, Mudhoney, Sonic Youth, etc. I'm still discovering to some extent.

24. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

If I would have mentioned Rush, this post would have made sense.

25. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Tool is my favorite band.

I think if you do, you'll like them. Their talent level is unreal, in my opinion... Their sound wouldn't work with a "virtuoso" type guitarist, but that's the only thing they don't have. Adam jones reportedly gets nervous wondering if he's gonna be able to play certain parts of their songs during the beginning of tours, lol... But I think they have one of the top 2-3 rock singers I've ever heard, and one of the best drummers.