I lost to an 0-3 GT Team

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by JOEDESIGNS, Mar 3, 2009.

1. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

I lost to an 0-3 GT Team

Such a horrible game. The computer made sure I lost. 2 55+ yard kicks from a kicker who is rated lower than mine. I missed a 40 yarder by 10 yards. :mad: Oh and lets no forget the FB who rushed for 141 yards. Pathetic. Wait until these guys load up on 5*****'s.

COMPUTER GAMES (n)

2. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

That sucks AMP. I am with you on computer games -- I hate losing to them so much. I find they are tougher than user games, but no matter how much I hate losing either, I can stomach a user-user loss more easily. At least knowing that what I am playing against has a brain makes me feel better.

I hope you win every game that isn't vs. me so we can tango in the ACC CG again. See you in a few weeks.

3. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

Oh I'll be there. I just hate how the computer gets a kick in the ass, and bust out 70 yard runs. Users I play can't do that against my D. These sliders are brutal.

4. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Eh, they aren't too bad. I routinely get stomped in the face by the CPU in another league I am in. I can certainly attest to your defense against users, that is for damn sure. :(

:D

5. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

What is it...two or three in a row? :D

6. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Two -- you got me both times last season.

Actually, now that I think about it, you have won 1 in a row. I took you down with Syracuse AT Marshall! (since this is text, you can't tell but that statement is dripping with sarcasm, haha!)

So, yeah, two. We will see if I have any answers this time. I certainly have more weapons than in the past. Looking forward to it, whether I win, lose close, or lose big.

7. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

I think your the favorite in this one. We're at Miami and I'm trying to figure out how to stop that receiver of yours. Oh yeah, just put Harris on his back. CHA CHING!!

I think it's less than a TD this year that decides the winner.

8. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

Yeah, the catch-up mechanics are a bit brutal. I couldn't stop a single thing Northwestern threw at me this week. Managed to edge it out by grinding out the running game and taking down the clock, but it was ugly.

And yeah, the CPU kickers have way more range than we do. That is one thing that could be changed in the sliders.

9. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I am definitely NOT favored -- I use Young sparingly to keep within the normal confines of a sim game. NOT being at Doak will be huge for me, because that place gets LOUD (as you know)! It should be a good game, but I think FSU wins 35-27.

*EDIT* I use him sparingly on the DEEP ball, since there is no defense that can contain that. As far as normal routes underneath and to the sidelines and such, I will hit him when I see him open.

10. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

As far as the kicking goes, I didn't recruit a kicker in my other league. I converted a QB that has 75 kpw and 75 kac, and he BLOWSSSSSS! His max is like a 35 yarder. Definitely makes you pay for not recruiting special teams.

11. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

Obviously I feel your pain as I have managed to get beat by the CPU - Wisconsin, LSU, and UCF so far. The sliders are probably about right, at least for my talent level or lack thereof. I would love these close games vs. the CPU if I was playing in an offline dynasty but in this OD it sucks because I know that everyone else has apparently 'figured out' what works vs. the CPU and will not be beat by it. Some of you guys have close games vs. the CPU and that warms my heart but the guys that are consistently 50 - 7 are a bit discouraging. I agree that user games are easier and I have not had one yet that wasn't close and decided by a few points late or some unfortunate turn(s) of events.

12. Razcalking1978

Yeah, fair or not, when I see people beating superior teams 50-7, the CHEEZE bulb goes off in my head.

I barely beat Northwestern with a far superior Wisconsin team.

How the hell do people beat Florida with Eastern Michigan in some of these leagues? These types of things are even happening in the OFFSL - teams killing teams they have no business even being on the field with.

13. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

These are interesting questions. First - I think the CPU "keeps up" with us. I notice the CPU manages to score when we score, and bog down when we bog down, at least to some degree. I'm seeing the big scorers gets scored on big, generally speaking. I see the aggressive defensive guys (blitz after blitz, etc.) get burned alot. The CPU QB seems to almost always make the right decision.

I think the biggest difference comes from those who know how to play D. By this, I mean the guys who can manually switch to a CB and pick that looping pass the CPU throws a half-dozen times a game. If those plays becomes picks, then scores can get lopsided. In my opinion, the big swings come from stick skill on the defensive side of the ball more than anything else.

Also, I think there are some money plays out there that are being used much more than we realize. Option plays are the most common (the distance-pitch, the perfect toss while in the grasp, etc.) - this is where we get the 8+ypc stuff. No one is lining up, handing the ball off, and averaging ten a carry. Maybe the big speed guys can call a pitch at the right time, but it's more likely we simply know what works aginst the CPU. We have some go-to stuff. Not sure I'm willing to do anything about that; what we have seems to, for the most part, work.

Just a few ideas.

AG

14. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

The in-the-grasp pitch from the option is, for the most part, actually pretty spot on. If there is traffic around, the ball ends up being knocked all over the place. If the pitch man is wide open, the qb pitches it in real life, as he did a great job selling the option to his contain man. Occasionally though, you see the crazy-ass pitch that you all know what I am talking about.

There are running plays that you can run up the middle and average 6 or 7 a carry, but 10 is impossible (on a SEASON basis -- a back could break a huge run and skew his average for a game). I personally love running between the tackles and following blocks because the outside game, with a fast enough guy, is just too easy. Now, in real life, if your guy is lightning quick, he would be able to get outside and burn the defense as well, but I get no joy out of that in the game. Same with running deep routes constantly -- against a user they will eat you alive with pressure before your deep routes can develop.

I agree that user-defense is the key in these games against the CPU. If you cannot manually cover backs and/or wide receivers, you are going to have a tough time. You have to learn how to generate pressure withOUT using the guy you manually control.

I also agree that everything seems to be going okay with everyone. The complaints about gameplay in user games are very rare, which is the most important thing. There is always something you know how to do that the other user cannot stop, but if you use it sparingly and don't exploit it (use it within REASON), all is well with the world.

15. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I think we have a pretty good setup. I've thought about proposing defensive adjustments on both sides of the ball (our d awareness leaves guys standing around sometimes) but I can't think of a way to balance it. If it becomes harder for the CPU to score, WE will still have our go-to stuff, so it's likely that a change would punish the CPU more than challenge us. I would like to see the CPU rush better against us, though. We're still leading in most rush D categories. But I'm pretty happy overall. I get a little nervous in big CPU games, and I've had to make big plays in almost every game. I think it's working.

AG

16. Juggernautblitz

Raz, I'm glad you brought that up because I didn't want to go there and always seem like the negative one. When I consistently see teams beat the top CPU teams 50 - 7 the cheese detector goes off in my head also. I think it is probably done with go-to plays and 98/99 speed guys that can simply outrun the CPU but I'm sure there is a lot of skill involved as well. Not sure anything can be done about the possible cheese since it is between the user and himself but I just like to play the game as the game is intended to be played and it seems to me that on this setting, that is a pretty good challenge vs. the good teams.

17. Razcalking1978

Agreed - I don't mind at all that the CPU is able to score on me. I just don't get how some people are winning games they should be crushed in.

Blitz - I agree that it probably has to do a lot with the killer speed. It's especially ridiculous that players with lower OVs are coveted because of high Speed ratings, but that's the game's fault; not much we can do about it. Hopefully it's fixed in the next edition.

18. Juggernautblitz

Yeah the speed thing is an issue. If a guy is rated 70 overall with 98 speed, he should not be a viable receiver if he has a very low catch or route running rating or shouldn't be a good DB if his awareness or coverage skills suck. I agree that needs to be tightened up in 2010.

19. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

In another league I am in, we have a speed limit (for OFFENSIVE players only) that goes as such:

5-star Recruit: Any speed.
    4-star Recruit: A speed maximum
    3-star & Below Recruit: A- speed maximum

The premise behind this is that if your guy is THAT fast, he would be a higher rated recruit, and the game over-values speed. There is no limit on defense because even these "speed-limited" recruits get faster as time goes on, and it is hard enough to stop the pass as it is.

When you look at the stats, it is pretty easy to see who is cheese against the CPU. One example I will use was that Florida guy last season, Young J maybe? His stats were f'n absurd.

20. Razcalking1978

That recruit speed limit idea is a good one to look at if the next version of the game has the same problem.