I suggest slider changes

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by Hellisan, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I suggest slider changes

I'm not sure what you guys are thinking but I have done a little bit of testing and I think the game can be made more fun/realistic with some slider changes. Specifically to QB accuracy and the pass defense ability of the defenses.

The thing that sticks with me and makes me hate this game is that you can't throw anything other than slants, posts, and derivations thereof against man defense (unless a linebacker is on the coverage)

In test sessions I've put the defensive pass coverage at 45 (one notch down) and seen an improvement. I think we should look at this and consider putting pass defense of both the CPU and HUM teams at 35 or so, but also dropping QB accuracy significantly to counter. Also maybe adjust how difficult it is to run the ball, somehow...

Fosh, thoughts?

2. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

*CRICKETS*.... ha, that's what you get when ask Fosh to think.

3. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

Honestly I'd like to see what teams look like progression wise before making any slider changes - because I think play on the field is going to change pretty drastically.

I mean right now some teams have got 90+ overall guys at every position. Sure its easy to run the ball when your OL has a bunch of 95s, but when you start throwing 83 overall freshman into the mix things are going to be very different.

4. BlyGilmore

btw personally I'd like to see our "you can move one guy before the snap" rule modified a bit.

the rule was originally put in place so you could move defenders into a position to fix a hole caused by a multiple wide receiver formation. i.e. your SS is covering the slot receiver in man-to-man coverage, but the game keeps your safety 15 yards off the line.

instead folks are moving safeties around and putting them in positions where they aren't blocked on runs, can blitz from the far outside and not get picked up, and generally greatly change the look of the play they picked.

i.e. taking their safety and looping him far outside and coming back inside to get the sack, or bringing him inside the box, but right behind an OLB so he isn't blocked clogging the middle of the field.

it'd be different if this game didn't have options available to defenses, but there are multiple formations available (4-6, 4-4, 4-2-5) that bring safeties down toward the line, multiple shifts you can do to move players around, etc.

so i propose we change the rule that you can pick one player on defense, but can not move him drastically - keeping him at approximately the same depth and position on the field as he originally lined up - with allowance for a couple of setups left, right, back or up.

5. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Yeah I see your point Bly but that rule has way too much gray area in it. I want to move the guy but how much can I move him... What If I am rushing around before the snap and move him too much and he gets a sack or crazy int......opens up too much bullshit. Helli will love it!!

I can tell you after progressions this season there will be multiple teams with plenty of 95+ rated players......especially MIAMI.........that team will be like playing the "ALL MADDEN" team. it is really disappointing. It really kills strategy vs a team that has every starter with 95+ ratings.

6. BlyGilmore

Yeah its pretty retarded. gotta love how EA always misses these kinds of things.

7. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I mean it really is UNBELIEVABLE. I mean if you sim just 1 or 2 years in an Online Dynasty you will see it. It is mindblowing how anyone can not say anything....."hey look guys every player on my team progressed +5 OVR.......thats cool, right???"

I mean WTF EA????:confused:

8. BlyGilmore

its just painfully obvious they don't actually play a dynasty, online or not, before releasing the game. i.e. take last year. if one person had simmed an online dynasty season with one other guy involved just to see what the offseason looked like, they would have noticed the whole "yeah how come my HB who said he was coming back is gone, and i have 10 hours of recruiting" thing.

this year if they had simmed into season two they would have noticed "wow - my team doesn't have a starter under 95 overall - that's weird."

but they don't. they rely on computers to test games too much. and when they do bring community folks in to play games they are limited in what they can see, and often don't want to rock the boat too much and jeopardize getting invited back next year.

9. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Yeah the Community days are purely for Marketing IMO.

10. BlyGilmore

exactly. and as it is now it is too open to playing around to try and find an advantage on defense.

its a rule that was put in place to allow the defense the flexibility to adjust to the offense - but as the game has evolved and holes in the defensive AI have been plugged up, it has turned into "where can I put this player so he can wreak havoc."

IMO taking a safety and putting him in a position where he's not blocked like a linebacker, but can play like a linebacker, is just as bad as taking a DE and spreading him way to the outside, or pulling him off the line before the snap.

11. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

See that's part of my point. let's take Mo. not only is he great at PLAYING safety but he lines up pretty close to the line. I don't have a problem with that..... as long as every route in the game that gets open against man defense isn't running right at him! Slants? They go toward Mo. Flat Crossing routes? Generally makes him come down a bit but after the catch he can hit you with the safety that pops the ball loose or hurts somebody every time he makes contact. Post routes? Again, right toward him.

But for me it's bigger than that. I just get tired of calling all the same plays! If you adjust the AI so you can throw an 8-yard hitch with some likelihood of success against Man defense... But also adjust so QBs aren't nearly as accurate.. the game and playbooks will really open up. Regardless of where folks line up.

What I want is more variety in terms of how things work. Maybe get a guy open with a 10-yard In route only to have my QB overthrow him....

Last thing.... There was an update last night that some people are saying involves online game sync issues as well as *drum roll....* player progression.

http://www.operationsports.com/foru...etty-sure-ea-just-released-another-patch.html

12. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

my issue is though, sometimes as a LB, the positioning is off from a default formation... i will be shaded to the wrong side of the center and have to cover the HB who is opposite side of where im lined up. It would be impossible for me to cover him without manually moving my LB over to the other side of the center to be heads up on him.

13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    This is interesting. When I play with my safety and I get close to the line, I usually use the show blitz option. I rarely move my safety close manually outside of the general area I have to cover especially if my guy is assigned to play that zone. I don't move him much. That rule is really designed for what 1 or 2 guys in here? Many others use the LB or DE. That's like me saying we should then limit bump and run coverage or something.

I tend to agree with helli with the sliders. Plenty guys run predictable plays though and generally I can guess it's either going to be a slant, cross, or post. I've learned to know how and when to throw the other routes like in, out, corner and curl routes. Only thing is lowering QB accuracy that much maybe brutal. You think INT's are bad now...imagine the totals with these new adjustments.

14. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Did they take the ability to line up man coverage?

It used to be you could push a button and then hit right i think and it would allign coverage for you.

15. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yeah I don't know, I would really disagree with a rule where we tell people exactly where to line up. I think the spirit of what Bly is referring to is keeping the guy in the general area of where he lines up. I.E. with the MLB you should be able to line up pretty much anywhere between the OLB Ryno. At least that was my interpretation... I'm o.k with a generalized rule like that... Keep the guy in the same general area, that seems obvious almost...

And where Mo lines up it basically looks like a flipped alignment where he's really playing SS with the FS. Don't have a problem with that.

Would like to see a rule where we have to attempt to make a play from where we line up though :)

And switch to a new guy if there is no opportunity to make a play from there. Reason i say that is I see people line up at position X, and instantaneously after the ball is snapped they move to position Y (closest guy to the play) Not only does it just get confusing seeing icons switching all over the goddamn screen, they also get superhuman block shedding at the new position.

16. BlyGilmore

This. And if you change where that guy lines up using in game audibles, shifts and flips, that's fine too.

The issue I have is with calling a 4-3, using the "show blitz" option, then taking the deep safety, moving him up so he's on the level with the LBs and tucking him in either right behind an LB or pushing him far outside the tackle box. I saw both things a few different times from a few different opponents.

If you're calling a 4-3 it should look like a 4-3. If you use in game shifts it should look like like a 4-3 with a shift. It shouldn't look like some kind of hybrid new fangled defense. That isn't what straight ball is about.

I'll use the DL example again. I think everybody would say taking a DL and pushing him outside the tackle or TE and three yards off the line is cheese. So why would bringing a safety three yards in and off the line be different? In both cases you're manually moving a player out of his natural position to gain an advantage over your opponent and the AI.

The show blitz thing is another topic. IMO I'm not sure folks should be doing that 2 out of every 3 plays - but then again i'm also a heavy run team and it can be chalked up to game planning so i'll stay out of that.

17. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

There are a lot of different interpretations of what straight is.

Some would say it's anything within the rules. other people want to do more, to make the game look as realistic as possible.

Pretty much the least straight thing I've ever heard.... A conversation from last night in our side league:

New guy that we just let into the league: "So yeah this guy was talking trash saying he could beat me, and so we're playing. I have Trindon Holliday at QB running the option and he can't stop it! Holliday has like 400 yards already!"

18. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

You guys lost me already....Ill just pick my defensive player and not move him.

Sometimes I hot route defensive players but that about it.

19. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    that shyt doesn't seem like it works...triangle right i believe...ehhh, I'll have my man who's suppose to be on the WR across the damn field...smh.

20. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Well I know I'm not trying to gain an advantage or anything...nor do I think tucking him behind a LB or around the D-line is my intention...in fact Helli got what I do a lot and that's I am basically using the FS as my SS.

And even then what's the different between the show blitz option when in reality, they are moving everyone up and making it looked like a fangled defense?

It's a difference from the dline...that's been a known glitchy thing to move the dlinemen outside the normal regulations. Using the safety and bringing him up is what u'd normally see on sundays and saturdays in this matter. Shyt and many can attest to this, that I run the risk of getting beat, especially now that the blocking is IMO better this year than last. Many of times I've been stuck inside the shuffle while the runners get away from me.

21. jfosh

jfosh Super

I definitely think the QB accuracy needs to go down. 20-23, 22-23 seeing to many games like that.

If you lower the pass coverage wont you see the linebackers get taken advantage even more?

I'm not sure we need to lower running the ball for humans. Maybe I'm not everyone but I did not rush for a 100 yards against 3 out of the 5 humans I played against.

22. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

can we turn off quiz the qb? and home field advantage during bowl games?

23. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Any changes i would make would not take effect until Jugg's games.

So maybe next season? Would love this for the conf. championship games too... Jeesus, I'm in atlanta and the crowd is against me.

24. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Always been a huge gripe of mine. Its also funny how in the dynasty headquarters it says Auburn AT Nebraska eventhough its a bowl game.

25. jfosh

jfosh Super

Thats what happens when your the #2 seed in the SEC.