I Think I Finally Understand

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Old_Elkpride, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Old_Elkpride

Old_Elkpride Walk On

I Think I Finally Understand

After trailing USC 0-38 in the third, asked shaunlmason to finish against the computer.

Shaunlmason had a very small playbook. Those 5 plays: WR Screen, Run up the gut, deep pass, and the favorite curl route was all that seemed to be in there. If you wanna know what USC's gonna do, there's your gameplan right there.

These sliders are flawed in so many ways. When I load the box and USC's McKnight gets 6 yards a pop atleast who's going to ever win? Perhaps all the other high ranked teams like the Ohio State's, Texas', ect. ect.

That's the thing though. These sliders heavily favor talent, and do not favor skill at all. You guys hit the nail on the head when you said this wasn't for stick jocks. I feel I'm a pretty good player, but Shaunlmason ran vanilla crap all day on offense, and vanilla on defense.

This sliders parallel nothing of real football. This slider set is for gamers who just wanna pop on the xbox and win every game with a top 10 team.

With these sliders heavily favoring the top teams and punishing severely the lower teams, I don't really see the point of nething. We can all play out our games and beat up the CPUs, and the user vs user games will be talent vs talent.

We should simply sim the user games and recruit, I don't see the point of playing unless your talent parallels the other.

Quite frankly I don't think Shaunlmason was that good. I couldn't even tell, he didn't have provide any skill to win.

Perhaps this league isn't for me and you guys were right. Old Fellas Football League seems to have been built for exactly those guys. Players who can pop on twice a week and sit back in their chair and rollover teams with their talent and feel good about themselves.

This dynasty is the Anti Stick Skill players. If you have two hands, aren't blind, and have the IQ of a monkey and most importantly have better talent, you're gonna win every time.

The game was a joke. I don't know how everyone else plays but if Shaunlmason gets a thrill outta that crap it's pretty sad.

Skill is a nonfactor here. It doesn't exist.

That is all.

2. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

You must be pretty good to get blown out 38-0. Suck it up and get better. Vanilla=Soft. Soft=Easy. You must be blind and only have one hand to get beat by such a crappy player.
    Hope I didn't ruin your thread but you can't come in and talk crap about anything and then when you play a user and get worked blame it on the sliders. The sliders have the same effect on both teams, therefore different sliders equal similar results. USC should win the Pac 10 easily and after he beats me I will congratulate him and run off with Snoop Dogg and a couple Trojan cheerleaders.
    [​IMG]

3. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

And I think that will be a farewell speech.

The upside? We didn't waste any time making you a banner.

The downside? We had to listen to you on our forums for a couple of weeks and we shouldn't have considered you in the first place based on your comments over on MM.

4. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Keepin' it 1hunnah.

Featured Threads:
    Wow, good game to you too.

Your right, my offense was vanilla. Because you couldn't stop it.

It doesn't matter if you could, because you and your "stick skills" couldn't move the ball on me.

I am trying my best to not be an asshole, because I am playing with a virtual NFL team, but did you expect to kill me because this is an "old guys" league?

You said it yourself "If you have two hands, aren't blind, and have the IQ of a monkey and most importantly have better talent, you're gonna win every time".

I have a good team, I expect to beat you. I didn't expect you to cry about it.

For the record, I ran curls 6 times (I counted), 3 screens (WR, not HB) which gained about 12 yards total.

The rest of the time, I pounded the rock, because I didn't want anyone complaining about sweeps, tosses, etc with a 97 speed HB. You started to press up on me cause I was running it, and I threw over your safeties two times, because they are pretty slow.

Good lord, I didn't have 100 yard rusher, didn't abuse the speed I have on offense, and you STILL are complaining.

I have played just about everyone here, and I have NEVER heard anyone complain about my style. I have been beat badly, and I have beat people badly. Sorry for the virtual whipping you just took, I hope your ego gets over it.

Maybe you should go back to MaddenMania buddy.

5. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Interesting. I play as MSU, and almost (and should have) beaten a ND team that is rated well above me. You need to switch up your defense if it only takes 5 plays to beat you. This is just a sad excuse from a frustrated man.

6. bogey21

bogey21 Walk On

Hate to say I saw this comming but....

Raz pretty much took the words out of my mouth.

7. Old_Elkpride

Old_Elkpride Walk On

My "ego", lol my ego has nothing to do with this. I came in here with a positive attitude that I wanted to get my team to win every game and we wouldn't back down from anyone. I post that I think the sliders may be easier against the CPU and the CPU should challenge us all and people take it like I'm saying "these sliders suck and I'm a beast."

I was simply saying perhaps they needed to be made more difficult. Teams were destroying other teams. Hell, we have a 65 point cap rule that many seemt to have to struggle not to score over. Idk how many scores I've seen in the 50/60s.

The fact of the matter is, when you say "get better" you're not understanding stopping simply curl, slants, WR screen, and running up the middle plays when you call a defense to stop those and it still doesn't work there is nothing you can do to "get better."

When I run a 5-2 and blitz the two MLB and I'm exactly right that he's going up the middle, and he blows past them, breaks tackles, ect. ect. for 8-10 yards what is there to do? Perhaps I should go goaline and then he can hit me over the top like he did everytime I was in man.

My comments at MM? I simply stated I thought the move to be independant wasn't a good one at the time. It was very soon after you guys had moved over here, and you hadn't grown to anywhere the size you have to now. Idk why me feeling that moving over here was bad constitutes "we shouldn't have let you in here in the first place."

Maybe I should go back to MM? Well shit that's not a bad idea the sliders require skill in user vs user. These sliders make user v user games like middle school fights. The USCs, tOSUs, Texas', ect. are the big bad bullies and the lower teams are like the scrawny little kid that always gets his lunch stolen.

Wow JC Spartan you beat Notre Dame. Notre Dame and Michigan State have identical talent, they were both outside the preseason top 25 just barely. Congrats you have an Impact Runningback who can run up the middle for 10 yards every play. Wait till you play a team like Ohio State.

I don't understand why you people attack each other. You treat simple discussion like blasphemy in a church. Just because you guys feel you've built up something that you think is "good" and you're enjoying cuz you rip apart oppenents every game (Unless your a crap user team in a user v user game) that doesn't mean your right. There is no way you can see these sliders are close to sim. Any college football team can lose any week, Appalachain State against Michigan for example. NO team here would ever lose to a I-AA team with these sliders.

These sliders don't make you pay for lack of skill, making mistakes, ect. Glad to hear you guys are just loving it. I'm 3-1 and I can say I haven't played one game that feels even close to football. Against the CPU im supposed to run it up the middle very play, sub out my players in the second half, and make the stats look realistic. I can't play and try and grind out a win against a CPU.

Against users, whoever can run up the middle, and throw occasionally and not make mistakes will win everytime. Talent is the top factor here. Recruiting could fix that for programs like Oregon State, but hell we aren't going to even get three seasons done at this pace.

I'll go out on a limb, OSU, USC, or Texas will win the National Championship.

Man, I bet you guys get excited when you play a game of Tic-Tac-Toe as well.

8. PK55

PK55 Rabid Football Fan

How many yards did Oregon St. rush for?

Just curious.

9. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    We don't. Overall, I think we have a pretty mature group of players here. You were the one that came in here attacking me. I told you good game when you quit, and didn't even get a reply. You know what I am thinking? "Wow, this kid is a sore loser."

Do I agree with you about the sliders? Against the computer, they are pretty easy with good teams. We use the same set in the Prestige league, and I won against an even rated team in OT last night. It varies game to game. When we ran the lower rated team league, I lost to the CPU three games in a row.

Bottom line is, these are pretty easy sliders. We just changed them to Heisman not long ago, we are trying to get some playing time before making judgement on changing them. Sometimes it takes a little bit of time to develop a good persepective on what needs to change.

Back on the topic of our game. I averaged about 4.5 ypc I think. That isn't exactly running all over your defense despite you trying to stop it. I played Tressel ball against you, because I have beat myself in a few user games because I turned the ball over to many times. My goal going in was to run the ball, get you to commit to stop it, then open up the passing game. I did that. I am sorry your gameplan against me didn't work.

I said ego because you are assuming that your stick skills are better than mine. Based on what?

Do I need to come to Centerville and buy you an ice cream cone so we can be friends again?

10. Old_Elkpride

Old_Elkpride Walk On

Something like 39 yards on 12 carries. It was stupid, the only reason I was even gaining yards was because Rodgers was just using his speed. His defense was so stacked it didn't matter. His curl route, slant, WR screen, and deep post when I run man combo was very effecient as well.

11. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    They only had 71 total yards, so not many.

Rodgers had 41 I think.

12. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    That's exactly the point here. I didn't have to show you anything flashy, because my defense smothered you.

13. Elk, I hate to say it man but most of us that have been here a long time saw this coming. You are the one that came here attacking. Learn to adapt man. Sorry, you seem well spoken but I do not think you are cut out for these leagues. After the whole, advance thing, easy sliders, rushing stats, dude my wife knew you were gonna run and she does not even play. I would stack the line too until you could beat me with the pass.

Sorry bro but I really don't think this is the league for you.

14. Old_Elkpride

Old_Elkpride Walk On

I'm a sore loser? Okay I asked if you could just continue vs the CPU and you said yes so I was just gonna respond GG in your game report. I did already.

4.5 YPC, don't even go there dude. You were getting 8-10 yard chunks all game. I stuffed you in the backfield several times and the remainder of the game started to play to stop the run first and foremost and you still averaged 4.5 ypc.

Tressell Ball? Thats a nice name for "I'll run up the gut every play cuz I can get 8-10 yards on nearly everyone" ball. Don't kid yourself, you play conservative with these sliders and were winning 38-0 in the third over me.

I said based on the sliders we can't determine anything. No skill was required. Your game plan was easy to predict, but with the sliders impossible to stop. Your defenses were pretty lame too in terms of sim, I loved how you simply loaded the box and blitzed the like hell on every down. You were running all sorts of defenses, idk what your base defense even is.

4-3/3-4 are useless in this league. These sliders require zero skill, they're talent favored, and they create no fun IMO. Wow it's so fun to pretend I only scored 50 points on the CPU when it should have been 100 if I tried. It's fun getting destroyed by ranked teams cuz they get 10 yards a pop and cun run anything we me worrying about stopping the run along with every other curl and slant route that is money.

Buy me an Ice Cream Cone? That's cute. You can have it, maybe you can munch on it while lambusting CPUs week in and week out in this dynasty. The ice cream might make it even more exciting!*I)@H!

I'm not a quitter, I'm just looking for fairness, realism, and most importantly fun. Even if we had a slider set where I got destroyed by USC every year, atleast make the CPU games competitive and fun.

For some of you who have "had games close with these sliders" don't kid yourself. It's just a byproduct of running up the gut every play with your second string guys in the second half and they start having some success.

These sliders don't need much more judgement. After 5 weeks it's pretty easy to see that the sliders are so easy that people are almost struggling with staying under the 65 point cap.

15. Old_Elkpride

Old_Elkpride Walk On

I'm not arguing about the defense. You played a defense I have never seen in college football team ever play. It was funky but it worked I guess. Congrats on finding a defense that works great and gets plenty of pressure with your studs.

The thing is, your offense wasn't even trying, I was calling defense that predicted what you were gonna run correctly and you were still having great success. That shouldn't happen. You shouldn't complete 25/27 passes or whatever it was.

MileHigh, I could care less what you wife thought. What does she reading the boards have to do with anything? You saw this coming? You saw what, I was going to get smashed? Is it illegal to get smashed? Now I'm being booted?

I'm not going anywhere unless I'm removed. With the angry and bitter people here though, that will probably come to pass.

You have created a dynasty that isn't college football. You have created a video game. You have made this into a game of poker. The best cards will win. Sorry but college football is like chess, there are a multitude of factors other than the "talent". Various strategies, coaching, playcalling, ect. ect. matter too.

There are many stubborn people here. The group has created a religious type online dynasty. If you question things, you're going to be attacked, shunned, ect.

I'm not even allowed to express my thoughts about the dynasty without getting verbally attacked. I didn't atack you Shaunlmason, I said what happened. You agreed that what I said was true, you just don't agree that it calls for change.

16. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Yes, you quit. I just burned the clock against the CPU. Before I even finished the game, you had posted HERE complaining

McKnight: 19 - 80 yards - 4.2 ypc 3 TD, long of 21
    Gable: 17 - 81 - 4.7 ypc, long of 12
    Johnson: 6 - 18 - 3.0 ypc, long of 4

Actually move the ball and make the game close and I would have had to open up my offense a little more.

My base defense is Multi-D. The whole goal of the defense is to not give your opponent a constant look. I blitzed where appropriate. To be pretty honest, I ran a mix of Cover 2/Cover 3 on first and second and blitzed on third about 70% of the time.

This was a peace offering, geesh.

We all have the same goals. It may not happen until NCAA '10. Most of us realize that and are trying to enjoy what we have right now.

Then give some constructive criticism with stats and we can have that discussion.

17. Razcalking1978

"I knew exactly what USC was going to do and I still couldn't stop them!"

Shocker. I imagine plenty of USC's real opponents said the same thing. That's why the players have different ratings. Some of them are better than the others.

18. Old_Elkpride

Old_Elkpride Walk On

I messaged you and you said yes you would just finish? Yeah dude I quit, what reason did I have to play for? I saw enough enough of your offense. It was so fun guessing if it was going to be a curl, slant, or run up the middle.

The stats have nothing to do with anything. The only stats you need is 38-0 third quarter and you admitting you ran a super vanilla offense.

It's pretty easy for you to offer easy explanations to all these questions when with the current system your stacked and your offensive is unstoppable even if you ran it with your eyes closed.

This league is scared of challenges. The better player has nothing to do with any of these games unless the teams are identical talent.

19. Razcalking1978

Oh, and McKnight's real yards per carry? In the real NCAA? 7.4

20. Razcalking1978

Wow, some teams are better than others? I had no idea.

You're right, it would be much better if Vanderbilt versus Oklahoma was an even contest. Much more realistic. :rolleyes:

21. Old_Elkpride

Old_Elkpride Walk On

Oh please. Yeah, just like Oregon State couldn't stop USC and got shutout in real life!

Get off your high horse. You're proving my point right there. The logic here is the better should win every single time. The better should dominate.

Guess what, S K I L L is involved. It's hard for you guys to know what that is with these sliders.

22. Razcalking1978

No, the logic is that the better team should win most of the time.

We'll see how Basis and his Ducks do against the Trojans. He fears them, but I bet he'll do a hell of a lot better than you, kiddo.

23. Old_Elkpride

Old_Elkpride Walk On

Other teams didn't play to stop the run first every play like I did. I didn't say every game should be competitive. I assume Oregon State doesn't get shutout by USC.

24. Razcalking1978

I assume that the real Oregon State coach is smarter than you. Aren't assumptions fun?

25. Old_Elkpride

Old_Elkpride Walk On

Oregon came into the season ranked. With these sliders, the better team always does better. So you're damn right they'll do better.

Can you post several ideas in one post? Why are you making 3 new posts in response to no statements or questions?