I think it's time to talk about this...

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by UofCWildcat, Jan 19, 2012.

1. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Realignment. You all understand my hatred for the little guys in the Non-AQ conferences beating up on no names and taking BCS spots so i think it's time to swap out some of them and bring em up to the big boy leagues. SEC is pretty competitive so they should stay as put but there are teams who would fit perfect in other leagues so that (A) our competition rises and (B) they aren't getting free rides to BCS Bowls

Pac-12:
    Fresno St: #5 team as of now and they do work in recruiting. Currently a 5 star program
    Nevada: #24 team as of now but have losses to Northwestern (user) and Air Force.

We could add these two (Nevada South and Fresno St North) and either take out Colorado and and another North team or just add em and make a Pac-14

B1G:
    Notre Dame: They aren't ranked but they are a 4 star team who is a 92 overall. Competition
    Kent St (big stretch but hear me out): They are currently undefeated and a 4 star program. They have the potential to be a 5 star program next year. Maybe wait for them to become a 85+ overall but there is potential there

SEC:
    Florida St: Simple enough. Adds competition to the SEC East. Easily can replace Kentucky.
    Texas or Texas A&M: Probably wouldn't be necessary because the SEC West is LOADED. But suggestion there.

Your guy's thoughts?

2. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

1. I despise 13+ team conferences and wouldn't want to see any.
    2. If you're crying about the little guys, then AQ schools (FSU) shouldn't be moving to another AQ conference. If you do that, you take away competition from teams like Maryland and make their path easier.
    In my dynasty, by year 4 or so I made all 6 AQ conferences into 12 team leagues. This made them all play a CCG and it also made room for mid major power houses to have to compete with the big boys. Every few years, when another mid major became too big for its britches, and an AQ school was crapping out, then I made a swap. In general, when a mid major became a :5stars: school and was making it to BCS bowls a couple of times, I moved them. I made an AQ school get down to :1stars:before I booted them.

This is what my AQ conferences looks like now:
    B1G, SEC, ACC - Same as now. The B1G has easily been the strongest conference with the SEC a fairly close 2nd.
    Pac12 - After Air Force was constantly beasting their way through the MWC, they replaces a horrible WSU team that moved to the WAC. Air Force has continued to dominate the Pac12-N
    Big East - Added TCU (since that's where they were really going at the time), Miami(OH), S. Miss, Central Florida. I later booted Cincinnati and replaced them with Troy.
    Big 12 - Added BSU and Nevada. Much later I booted ISU and replaced them with Houston. Nevada has been in the Big 12 for about 8 years and have been the most dominate team in the North (more so than OU, OSU, or BSU). Houston is in their 2nd year and have done well, but not made a CCG.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  3. jello1717

Also, I'm not sure if you didn't notice this because you're not being objective or something, but you're talking about adding Fresno and Nevada to our conference while adding FSU and Texas to the SEC. Does that sound like a fair trade for the users in those conferences? Also, ND and Kent going to the B1G isn't on par with the poor SEC either.

4. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

I started out pissing and moaning about the Non-AQ then splintered off to talking about improving competition. I can lay out mine here in a second. I just gotta transfer it to a Google Doc

5. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Haha i know Pac-12 is reasonable but the SEC and B1G i was just throwing out Ideas for them. I think added ND to the B1G and Florida St to the SEC East would be good additions though.

6. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

In this we were MAC Teams and we moved up to the B1G. I'm Ohio, my buddies in the B1G are Toledo, Temple, Central Michigan and Northern Illinois. The rest of the guys are in the MAC still and they had to add some competition because they aren't B1G ready but were blowing out the Bowling Greens, Akrons, and Buffalos of the conference. So avoid looking at the B1G and MAC.

For the Pac-12 Boise St won two National Titles and Nevada was in the top 10 every season. I added them to the Pac-12 but didn't want to removed Colorado and Washington St because of the tradition of WSU and there was no one else to remove from the South. So there is 14 teams there. Then there is the SEC which has A&M and UCF who also went to but lost a National Title. The rest are kinda scrambled and stuff. But that's what mine is.

7. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

I would be against moving adding to a conference that already has 12 teams, especially user conferences. The more teams you add, the longer you go between playing teams from the opposite division, meaning less user games.

I wouldn't care if we added some teams to the Big 12 to increase the competition there and make them have a CC game.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

I'd be up for doing some realignment this offseason. I would definitely like to get schools like Troy and Fresno State higher competition. I'm recruiting against Fresno for a couple recruits and they have some utterly ridiculous pitches, like an A in championship contender....

I don't know if I want to alter the conferences that we are in currently, but I definitely wouldn't mind adding some teams to the Big 12. Fresno, Nevada, and Troy could all be options.

9. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

I was thinking kill two birds with one stone by increasing our competition and making these Non-AQs plays some talent. But yeah, just wanna make them play someone

10. jello1717

JCspartan2, Big Suge Knight, GoGators, dakota7, edge7771, controllerabuser, blLL flo, Darkwing, Masler, Randiesel75, UofCWildcat

So, the offseason is almost upon us. Are we going to do some realignment or not? In general, I think it should be done for mid majors that are getting too big for their britches, but I looked at them and I'm not sure there really are any. Most of us mention Fresno, but I'm not sure they qualify. Yes, they're a :5stars: school now, but this season, they've finished tied for 1st place in the MWC (with 2 conference losses) and won the tie breaker so they've won the MWC title for the FIRST time in this OD. I'm not sure if a team that has won 1 mid major title in 6 years qualifies as "too big for their britches." If we did move them, where do we put them? Pac12 is the most logical, but I don't want 13+ teams so we should probably swap them out instead of just adding them. The Big 12 is where they're most needed, but would we all be okay with a CA school in the Big 12?

What other changes should we make? I'd love to see 12 teams in the Big 12. Nevada would be a decent choice, but I think they're only a :4stars: team. We could do Nevada and Fresno or maybe Boise (that's a :4stars: at best). I don't think Houston or SMU are good enough for that.

We could try to get 12 in the Big East, but I'm not sure there's enough mid majors that are ready for that. Northern Illinois is probably on the edge of qualifying for "too big for their britches" and possibly Troy, but they're only :4stars: or possibly :3stars: as well.

If we're making changes this offseason, we need to decide on what now.

11. Darkwing

Darkwing One Nation Under God

Just happy being in the dynasty, my vote goes to the majority here

12. Masler

Masler Moderator

Fresno gives me fits on the recruiting trail. Could just be a CA thing. Would moving them to Big 12 give them a possible Texas pipeline as well, if they don't already have it.

13. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

I think the 3 user conferences are fine, but I'm all for getting the Big 12 or Big East a CC game.

14. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Let's create the actual conferences as they will be next year. TAMU and Mizzou to the SECOND etc.

And let's change our protected rivals so we all have at least two conference user games.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jello1717

That's giving the SEC 14 teams while the B1G and Pac12 still only have 12 (I'm not sure who has the advantage there as I don't know how many conf. games a 14 team conf. plays). This could make scheduling tougher if the SEC went to 9 conf. games.

16. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

jello1717

I'm with Dakota on this one. I don't think we're likely to get a reply from JCspartan2 since he's extremely busy with school etc this weekend. I think the only logical changes to make would be to make the realignments that we'll see next year in CFB.

TAMU (West) & Mizzou (East) to SEC

TCU and West Virginia to Big 12

Boise St, SDSU, Houston, UCF, SMU to Big East (if possible)

If one of the Big East additions hasn't done well and a team like Nevada is a better candidate for an AQ, then I'd be fine with swapping one of those under that circumstance.

• Like Like x 1
  17. GoGators

I was typing while you posted this I guess. Good point about the SEC. I guess we could take the Big 12 to 14 and increase the Big East and leave the three user conferences alone.

18. jello1717

And Syracuse and Pitt to the ACC too?

That's a lot of change. Lemme see what a 14 team conference schedule looks like real quick.

19. jello1717

Here's what the conference schedules would look like:

12 schools – 8 conference games when using protected rivals. 9 conference games when not using protected rivals. (Note: C-USA will use their 8 conference game, no protected rival format by default)
    13 schools – 8 conference games. Protected Rivals are not available in conferences with odd numbered schools.
    14 schools - 8 conference games when using protected rivals. 9 conference games when not using protected rivals.

We currently are all in 12 team, protected rival conferences so we all play 8 conference games.

If we switch the SEC to 14 teams and keep the protected rivals, then they'd still have 8 conference games.

20. GoGators

The issue we could run into here though is that the East would rotate who they play from the West and if those guys aren't protected rivals, they could probably go quite a while w/o playing across divisions.

I'd suggest leaving the SEC at 12 and making the other changes:

Big 12 -> 14
    Big East -> 25 (or however many friggin teams that conference will have)
    ACC -> 14

Leave the three user conferences as is for the sake of scheduling balance.

21. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I would vote to put Fresno& BYU in the Big 12. ECU, Notre Dame and Troy in the Big East.

Edit: Houston to the Big 12 would give them a CCG again

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  22. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

I'm fine with whatever you guys decide here. I would like to see some changes though.

23. jello1717

I'm working on conference realignment now. My plan is to get 12 teams in the Big12 and Big East which would give all 6 AQ conferences a CCG as well as getting powerful mid majors more competition. If any of you has suggestions for Big 12 and Big East division names (other than N/S/E/W) post 'em up here.

24. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    What is your plan for the teams you will move.

25. jello1717

Here's where the conferences stand now. The prestiges and OVRs are from our current 2016 season and haven't changed yet (IE. BYU and Kent State will most likely move from 4* to 5*)

I'm using this to figure out who needs to move up to the big leagues.