I think we can say we won now!!1

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by RynoAid, May 2, 2011.

1. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

At least i feel like that... to me, Bin Laden's death signals true victory. I've had a few friends and family members die in Afghanistan and Iraq... and this makes me feel better, so it must make some of the other families that lost people feel better too.

2. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

#winning

3. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

I agree. This is a great victory for the US against terrorism.

4. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I didn't hear about this until I was driving in to work this morning. It's about time that bastard got what he had coming to him, although I doubt he suffered as much as he deserved before the end.

God bless America and our troops who give their lives for this country.

5. Krebstar425

Krebstar425 Thee Mighty DFB

Not winning.

Is it symbolic? Yes. But this isn't going to crumble the structure of global terrorism. Bin Laden knew he was going to die one day, so to think this does anything except further him as a martyr in terrorists eyes seems wrong.

We're still losing after the attacks on 9/11. We reacted with extreme haste, started a country without the proper plans to help rebuild it and acted completely on fear and retribution. Where has it gotten us? Not too far considering how the rest of the world views or militant way of spreading democracy.

Is this news worthy? Yes. But should we be celebrating as if the "war on terror" is over? No. This is just the start of a new chapter.

Lastly, let me make it clear as I often run into people who think I'm in some way not supporting troops. I respect them greatly, but they shouldn't be there. We shouldn't send them there. I hate that we've put them in that position. Just to be clear. Not saying anyone on here would not understand, but it can happen often when you fly into the wind.

• Like Like x 1
  6. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

I have to agree. He knew he wasn't going to be around forever and there will be someone to take his place. This terrorism shit will never end, because they aren't fighting just any war but a religious one.

I am happy he is dead but I want to see a picture or two to confirm that.

What I have read, yes Bin Laden was still up on the list for being one of the most dangerous guys but there is another guy believed to be the same if not more dangerous.

It is good news, but what will the fall out from Al Qaeda be?

7. Krebstar425

There will not be a picture and DNA tests were already done. This was not a rushed announcement, as I believe he was killed Saturday morning. Plus, he's already been buried at sea.

As for being replaced, there is already someone who in a way had replaced him. An American born cleric who is far more versed in utilizing the internet to gather followers.

We didn't just arrive at the end of a road, we simply made a turn. Terrorism itself will never stop as a whole and attention needs to be given to such things as our military presence and philosophy if we are to slow it's spread and progress.

8. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

[​IMG]

9. astealthyhippo

astealthyhippo happy painting and god bless

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  10. Krebstar425

11. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Oh, I know I was just saying I'm sure people want more proof

12. Krebstar425

Just one example of how Bin Laden was far from from the one piece that would bring down Al-Qaeda and global terrorism. Anwar-Al-Awlaki's name should be right up there with his.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Qaeda

13. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

As much as I love that he is dead, I have to agree with Krebstar. The Middle East has been at war for THOUSANDS of years, and terrorism will always be around.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

15. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

I'm glad he's dead, but I'm not sure that anything good is going to come from this long term or short term.

16. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I'm wondering how you plan on killing those men without significant military presence. You don't have any launch points for missions (such as the one that killed Osama) and you don't force them out of hiding by overthrowing their cozy spot as gov't officials in tyrannically ran countries such as Afghanistan.

17. Krebstar425

My earlier comment concerning our military presence was not in reference to not using military presence, but the fashion we use it, the amount of civilian casualties and the places we occupy. All which directly tie into the easy recruitment efforts terrorist organizations employ.

Second, I wasn't saying hunt down each of those individuals. I was using that as an example of how we haven't won a thing with the death of bin Laden. Most analysts and reports now state that the heart of Al-Qaeda lies in Yemen, in a faction that bin Laden had little or no control of. His death is designed to not crumble Al-Qaeda. It's a splintered organization by design, to the point where all cells and factions can operate on their own or without direct guidance by top leader.

To think we have won or that terrorism now falls off the map is naive and arrogant. Two things we can not afford if we're serious about minimizing the threat of terrorism to our country, civilians abroad and others.

18. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Ya, I never liked the lets blame ourselves for terrorism idealogy instead of blaming the crazy deluded zealots who murder innocents... Do we always need to be aware of our policies and try to act honorably? Sure. But to pack it in and adhere to the whims and will of a small sect of deluded individuals would be folly. All you would be doing is proving to them that they can act the way they want to and get what they want and further gain power.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Krebstar425

Not sure if you're aware, but our military action around the world has been taking the lives of innocents for many, many years. Just because in the process we eliminate threats does not make it right or justified. I'm not arguing that we have no military presence, but to not first look at ourselves and our actions an issue.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I'm sure people here were mostly joking about winning the war on terror. All the news syndicates last night were all making it perfectly clear that this would have a small impact on Al-Qaeda (if significant at all). I personally am glad we got him. You can't really blame people for rejoicing upon hearing the news about getting the man who personally took credit for the 9-11 attacks. It's a monument that has much more meaning to the average American that it does to the functionality of any global terrorist organization. With that being said, I want to see us go after the rest of the individuals on that list. They represent an immediate threat to our civilians. Not saying we should start leveling schools for the deaf and blind in other countries to get at them, but they have vulnerabilities.

21. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    You have to give some context to this, though. It's not like we are plowing through cities to get to a complex where all the 'bad guys' are hiding. They purposefully embed themselves around innocent people and civilians. What are we supposed to do in order to eliminate the threat they pose? I'm not saying at all what we do is morally right. But saying that our military leaders conduct operations and place no value on innocent people's lives is completely and utterly false.

22. Krebstar425

In terms of joking about winning, not too sure about that.

As for your last few sentences, that is what I'm getting at. We're far from close to being safe, winning or done.

The best news from last night to me was that we sent in a skilled team, as Obama recently decided against leveling the entire compound with bombers. Why? This would potentially kill innocent civilians and also destroy all evidence, possibly including the body of bin Laden.

I'm not in here rallying against our actions, decisions or policy as a whole. Just pointing out that we have a very long way to go and that at this moment we're now in the thick of it more so than ever before.

23. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I think we can all agree with that.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Krebstar425

I'm not saying that, but as I just said, last night was a great change in action by sending in a team and carefully planning instead of just leveling the compound. I'm not all negative! :)

• Like Like x 2
  25. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    We do this all the time. Guys doing the dirty work on the ground, room to room. If we wanted to turn Afghanistan into a parking lot with drones, we absolutely could have (same with Libya). In fact, we put our own soldiers lives on the line to minimize civilian casualties and prevent collateral damage. A lot of people don't understand this. It's the other half of why I respect our troops and military personnel so much. They risk their lives by being on the ground in order to protect the innocent lives of those they do not even know. That's what being an American is all about, IMO.

• Like Like x 2