Icing the kicker is a bit much this year.

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by Hellisan, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I just lost a game on a missed kick but honestly I deserved to lose the game because of picks, bad bounces, horrible user control, etc. Basically the way I played it would have been kinda gay to get a win out of it so I think this take is "separated" from the fact I just lost. I hope it is.

Here's the thing about the whole icing the kicker nonsense. You guys can vouch that I've played a lot of games. Or a reasonable amount. I'm in T1, the Uprising, and I'm in a solo online dynasty as well that's in 2015. So let's just say that I've probably played 150 games.

This is the first time I've been iced. So you have absolutely no practice BEING iced. It covers up the meter completely, so that you absolutely have no clue where it's going AT ALL plus it seems to change the speed of it too. (slows it down).

Does anybody have any experience with it? I totally wasn't thinking at all, if I was I would have centered the ball first to take that problem out of the equation... Since I hadn't been iced I just tried to do it with the same rhythm as a normal kick and aim it with guesswork but I missed by like 10 yards because it slows down the meter.

2. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

No real hints for icing, just gotta have good eyes lol and ya the more you experience it the better you'll get, but I honestly have no problems with the icing feature, I actually like it. Finally we don't have a 99.99% chance of field goal from under 50 going in

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yeah that's true. I agree, I mean I'd rather have missed that kick than made it (lie!) and it does add at least a different dimension. Truth be told as soon as I called my timeout I said Oh fuck.... I haven't been iced yet and it's gonna happen here so I was beat before I even kicked it.

4. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

I like it. You can't practice kicking while iced irl either.

5. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

LOL[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

You've played 150 games and have only been iced once?

I don't think it's a bit too much at all. It actually works now. In the past NCAA installments it was still money to make the field goal. Now it takes some patience and a bit of luck. Blocking FGs is nearly impossible, so the fact that there is something that can help the defense when the game is on the line via FG is great in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

I notice no slowing down of the meter on iced FGs apart from the delay that always comes with user games.

I usually get a good look on iced FGs and most of my iced-FG misses come from the exaggerated hooks and slices.
    The only real difference this year is that you cant zoom out the camera and see your trajectory. so you have to aim left or right once and just go for it. if you start going left and right/back and forth trying to get a good angle it can get messy.

8. nikpin

nikpin Universitas Brunensis

Yea no doubt. Kicking FG is way to easy in this game. You can hit 50+ with ease and no threat's of having it blocked by angling it all the way down. Icing doesn't even work properly some of the time so anytime it does work makes it so much more interesting.

9. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

As far as I see it, if you have a FG to decide a game and you know it, you should be setting yourself up in the middle of the field, then you raelly just need to play the wind

10. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I totally agree.

@ the group, I also agree that it's good something is in the game to make an end of game FG not a sure thing, maybe I'll do better next time, lol

11. jfosh

jfosh Super

Even in the middle of the field your kick would have been tough with a 14 MPH wind blowing left to right from behind you.

12. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

I would never do this in a game, but I have had it done to me and its pretty genious and totally cheesy(not in the spirit of the game).

if its not 4th down and you have an extra second, you can remove the ice by calling spike ball.

13. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Ha, well you were there, it was right down the middle, just short.

14. DirtycashDylan

I don't see what's so genius about it.

15. Bl0ndeRedHead

Or "not in the spirit of the game" about it. It's done all the time in football, to the point where it's nauseating.

16. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

BRH: I think wgw111 was saying he thinks spiking the ball to get out of it is smart but not in the spirit of the game.

17. Bl0ndeRedHead

Damn internet and not being able to understand contexts of people's posts

18. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

For instance, you line up for the game winner on 1st down with 5 seconds remaining. Your opponent calls time out to ice your kicker, instead of coming out in FG after the time out, you spike the ball taking one second off the clock. Now its second down with 4 seconds remaining you are no longer iced so you come out in FG formation again. Defense time out, you spike agian. 3 seconds 3rd down no ice, defense calls timeout, you spike again. 2 seconds left, defense is out of timeouts and you get a non-iced FG.

A crafty bit of thinking to get around the ice, but not really in the spirit of the game (as teams do not call meaningless ball spikes to improve their kickers FG chances in real life).

sorry if I was being difficult to understand.

19. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

Never leave home, without an Ice in your pocket. Your never safe!

20. DirtycashDylan

IRL, that would just be icing the kicker even more.

21. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

@Hellisan

Helli. Come on man. You've been iced once and missed the kick to lose, who cares. That happens in real football. How can you say it is overdone this year when it has only happened to you once? Shuddup! ;) :D

• Like Like x 1
  22. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Fuck off dickhead. :D

I don't care about losing. I care that you can't even see the meter. That's like somebody going o.k., you're iced so I'm gonna blindfold you. Maybe I was looking at it wrong but I couldn't see shit, lol.

23. Bl0ndeRedHead

Someone needs to upgrade from their 24" non-HD TV

• Like Like x 1
  24. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

No suck luck, I have something like 20-12 vision and a 32-inch Vizeo LCD that I sit about 3 feet away from when I play, lolol. I think I probably just overthought it. If I get the chance to kick while iced again, I'm going to assume that I'll be able to see the meter.

25. Bl0ndeRedHead

Damn I feel spoiled...but I have 20/40 vision so I need my 60" Sony Bravia 3DTV lol (benefits of living with a high school friend in a house his dad owns and furnishes)