Icing the kicker

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by Kapono, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

Anyone else notice it's too effective? In my opinion it was too effective last year, but this year it's even harder. It's the same system but there's no arrow that shows where you will kick it. Basically it's like going up to the line with your eyes closed and you have to do it just based of feel and hope that you aimed the right way. That's OK but in most dynasties the kicking accuracy sliders are more difficult so it makes making last-second FG's almost impossible.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Full Moon Fever

Full Moon Fever Champion of Standards

Interesting. I haven't experienced it yet. The only time I've had a game end on a last second field goal it was from about the 5 yardline and my time-out didn't do anything.

3. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

I always turn it off.

for starters its a dumb, unrealistic feature. most kickers will tell you they like it when a timeout is called to ice them. gives them a chance to double check the wind, make sure the spot the ball is being put down is nice, and mentally prepare.

it is a lot harder for them to run out onto the field and kick the ball with the game clock and or play clock counting down.

on top of that, it doesn't take into consideration there's a human on the joystick. i've seen plenty of folks who are normally good FG kickers shank a game winning/tying field goal in this game because they were trying to hard (especially with wind and an angle).

now if EA feels kicking is too easy (which it might be) then tackle that issue, don't come up with a gimmick to make the most important kickers artificially harder.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Ice the Kicker is ridiculous IMO. It is not realistic in the the fact that if you are pass the 25 and on either hash it is near impossible. It should be tied to your kicker's awareness or something.

5. sportyfan2000

sportyfan2000 Walk On

ice the kicker , when that happens just need take deep breath and hope its good .

6. Full Moon Fever

Kicking is too predictable in the game, so I kind of like the ice feature. 5 minutes in practice mode and you can nail down your absolute limits for each hash and the middle. In a season, I know the exact yardline I have to get to. Get to that line and it's a 95% make, barring lag. Don't get to that line, I know it's 0%. I wish they'd remove the user element out of it. Just let me press a button and let the kicker do his thing. If I have a good kicker, he'll make more. If I have a crappy kicker, he'll miss more. It would impact kicker recruiting and put you on the edge of your seat for big field goals, just like in the real game. It would also allow for the random shanks that you see. Kickers could also have confidence be an impact and could be influenced by past successes or misses.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

With really skewed kicking sliders, it's nowhere near as easy to make them. I hadn't thought of your suggestion before and I like it. In CH2K8 I always used the "real FT %" switch which meant that I had no influence on whether or my guys made FTs and it was solely based on their abilities. I really liked this as it's too easy to make FTs and I think that would work well for kickers in this game.

8. Full Moon Fever

Yeah, I actually got the idea from an oooold NBA game, where free throws were based on real abilities. Always felt a lot more realistic and it made the end of games much more exciting. I think it was NBA 2K1 if I'm not mistaken.

9. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

I've heard people say this a lot over the years. however last year when i actually took a full seasons worth of stats from the human players in The Tradition we were right at the NCAA average for percent of field goals made. (and this was after season one, before the shitty recruited kickers joined the fray).

it's like anything else. some folks are good at it. some folks aren't.

10. Full Moon Fever

...and I bet most would say that they missed because it lagged a little bit. It's not hard to time the meter. Sometimes it sticks and that creates most user misses I think. But I'd rather have misses based on my kicker's abilities than based on the quality of my Internet connection.

11. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I'd go so far as to say that it's very easy to time the meter.

12. Coach_III

Coach_III DAWGS

Icing the kicker is extremely tough this year with no arrow and the camera angle. I dont like it at all.