Ideas for 2013

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by egofailure, Sep 21, 2011.

1. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

As we'll soon be entering Championship week and Bowl Games, I figured it's as good a time as any to start talking about ways we can improve our league. Here's a few things I had in mind. Feel free to provide constructive feedback and/or detail your own suggestions.

1) Coach of the Year

I'm contemplating doing away with Archie's bonus list, sticking with a standard 1-7-72 (to provide a little more roster flexibility), and allowing the opportunity to earn additional 4-stars for winning your conference, winning a BCS Bowl game, and being named Sim Nation's Coach of the Year.

A league vote would decide who receives this honor (no coach can vote for himself), and the recipients will be recorded in our soon-to-be-created League History thread. Because we missed the opportunity to vote last year, I've decided to name Big D last year's winner. D', you may choose to use an additional scholarship this year, or instead choose to have an additional 4-star scholarship next off-season. It's a bit late, but congrats on the impressive season with WSU.

2) Skype Off-seasons

When I joined the Crop last year, I was weirded out a bit when I found out that I'd be required to talk to those dudes over skype, particularly during the completion of the off-season. But it wasn't long before I absolutely fell in love with the set up. Talking to your fellow league-mates voice-to-voice allows you to get to know each other in a way that just isn't possible over the boards and through our message board personas. It also makes the process of recruiting, cutting players, etc. fly by. I think we all could use a little help bonding. Who's up for giving this a try?

3) Combining Blogs

Some guys here have done a great job posting in the blogs consistently, while others have done well sporadically. (I've been as inconsistent as anyone.) We'll continue with the plan to vote for the best blog come off-season, but I believe that's often hard to decipher most years. I also find that with 3 different places to look for updates, people are less apt to stay updated with all the league's news.

What about making one Sim Nation blog? Following your game being played, you can post a quick blurb, or go all out and post a game summary with pictures. With all 12 members posting in this thread, updates will be constant, and it's sure to become a go-to thread. It's the same idea behind the all-inclusive recruiting thread.

4) New Members

We're now down to 9 members, but I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing. I think for now, it's important to have quality over quantity. I only want guys who want to be here, and I'm happy with our current roster of players. I've been looking to add a few quality members to replace the drop-outs, but that won't happen until the start of the off-season. I'd like to use that time to tighten things up and get Sim Nation running smoothly again. If you have a person in mind that you feel would fit in nicely to our league concept, shoot me a PM.

5) Pace

As of now, we're a firm 72 hours, and we'll advance sooner if we reach 12/12 (or 9/9 as of now). Everyone cool with keeping this advance schedule?

• Like Like x 1
  2. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

I'm good with all of that and prefer to keep the 3 day or 9/9 advance

3. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

1. I like elements of this. I do like the bonus system and the variations we've discussed. I'm also open to your alternative ways to earn bonus recruits. I would be happy to stay the course or go with the changes.

One of the things that I really like about the current system is the H2H recruiting challenge. I'd like to see something that defines 1-2 bonus recruits so that teams can fight for those recruits. Perhaps we could use a vote to determine the best candidates for bonus recruits?
    2. I'm game. I would love to do an all-at-once off-season and Skype would be a fun way get to know each other a little better.
    3. Great idea. Let's make it easier to see all the content that everyone is contributing.
    4. 9 is not a bad number. The key is keeping these 9 guys engaged. If we have other guys to add, I'm open to it, but I don't thing we need it.
    5. I would prefer a 48-hour advance, but I understand that some of the other guys need more time. All that I ask is that when 8 guys are ready within 24-48 hours, the 1 guy left makes a strong effort to get his game in as soon as possible. I'm not suggesting that we're not doing that right now, but that seems like a common goal that we should all embrace.

4. Goose

Goose Walk On

I like it all.

5. egofailure

6. jca312

jca312 Walk On

Sorry, been busy. I think everything sounds good. I like doing away with the Bonus List and giving a little cushion for early NFL Draft entries and transfers. I also like getting the offseason done in one shot.
    Looks good Commish.

7. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I like what i see a well, the skype thing is going to be an issue for me, but I can find a way around it.

8. bdub

bdub Walk On

I like everything as well

9. Goose

Goose Walk On

The only thing that will be tough for me is the skype. My wife already thinks I'm a tard for playing in these leagues. She'll probably divorce me if I've got to video chat with everyone. lol AIM blast chat works pretty good also.

10. egofailure

Video chat? No way, I don't want to see any of ya'll ugly mugs! Haha, Skype just allows you to voice chat collectively, like a conference call. Sure, you could video chat if you wanted to, but we don't do that.

That being said, I'm cool with AIM chat if it's going to put us on bad terms with Mrs. Goose. ;-)

11. John Crow

John Crow Walk On

I am fine with all of what you propose. I just want to play some football!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

I'd like to get some clarification on our recruiting rules for next season. I didn't win shit, so I think I'm stuck at 1-7-72. Is there something else to compete for in-season?

13. egofailure

Brog', we're all stuck with 1-7-72 (or 0-8-72) for next year. We're not doing the earned bonuses til' this upcoming season/off-season.

14. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

Cool - thanks for clarifying.

15. egofailure

The Dude, bdub, jca312, BigSmooth33, carolinaeasy, Goose
    Hey guys, just a reminder about the bonus scholly system we agreed upon at the start of the season. You have earned an extra 4-star (or more) for doing one (or more) of the following this past year:

- Winning Coach of the Year
    - Winning your conference
    - Winning a BCS bowl game

To clarify, if you achieved all three, you have 3 additional 4-star scholarships to use either this off-season or for next season's class.

I thought we had talked about a 5-star being earned for the National Champs, but looks like I'm out of luck. ;-) I'll start the Coach of the Year poll now.

*Please post your use of an extra-earned scholly as soon as it's used. This will make it easiest to track.