If confronted with my recruiting class....

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by Hellisan, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

....slider from Top Gun would definitely lean in and be all... (pause) *sniff* You Stink.

Here's what we've got!

DT Brett Huff, 4-star
    Built like a fire hydrant, the 5'11, 298 lb. Huff may (sadly) be the second or third best player in the class. I predict he will be in the 72 OVR range.

T J.D. McDonald, 4-star - 6'7 271
    Solid lineman, nothing spectacular at all. I predict 70-74 OVR

WR Chris Hayes, 3-star JUCO - 6'5" 190
    A tall, fast receiver who can't catch or run routes (at all). Predict 62 OVR

MLB JT Koch, 3 star 6'2 227
    reasonably fast and good acceleration with no agility at all. Predict 66-68 OVR

K Kevin Davis, 3 star
    B- Kick, B- KAC = best kicker in class.

TE Brandon Randolph, 3-star, 6'4 236
    Good measurables, not great hands but not sure it matters too much at TE, I think he'll have a good career. Good blocker. 70-72 OVR

CB Matt Johnson, 4-star, 5'11 193
    Acceptable speed with good acceleration and coverage capabities. Best of my class.
    74-76 OVR

JUCO FS Kenton Smith, 3-star, 6'0" 180
    A real find, he will be pretty good for us for two years. Will be the highest rated in my class, I'm pretty sure. 78 OVR estimate

OLB Gary Fields, 3-star, 6'1, 222
    Best all around linebacker in my class, guessing 70-72 OVR

QB Cameron Vogel, 4-star, 6'5 214
    Annoyingly average QB with no standout tool. 66-68 OVR

ATH Ryan Taylor, 3-star, 6'2 190
    Fast athlete with no discernible abilities. 60 OVR (CB?)

JUCO (SO) C Michael Jackson, 3-star, 6'1 294
    HEE HEE! Best lineman in my class, I'm thinking 72-75 OVR

G Darrell Hampton, 4-star, 5'11 309
    With the incredible wealth of options available to him, JMS chose to come to Washington (one of the few states he probably doesn't have as a pipeline) and have a go at Hampton. He's not that good, so not sure why he even tried, but we held him off for this banally average and woefully undersized guard. Estimate 70 OVR

T Troy Anderson, 3-star, 6'6 313
    Has strength, no footwork. A real project. Estimate 62 OVR

You might be thinking, "well I'm sure there's somebody on your board that will eventually be able to usurp these crap-logs as the best players(s) in your class. No sir. Thanks for playing.

2. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

you got nothing on the cesspool that is this years Panther recruiting class.. I'll break it down late, it's painful.

3. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

at least you have numbers....I might sign 6-7 guys the whole year. Most of them added in week 5-6.

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I won't go into detail. I kinda like my class :)

5. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

My class will be solid. My pitches still aren't good enough to go out and snag the truly elite players (I still have 4 C+ pitches), but i'm compensating by filling up on the second tier of four star and three star guys. Should have another year where I need to limit the number of scholies I give out to make sure i have some room for off-season guys.

6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    It helps to be in Cali though Bly. The talent pool there is great and you get those pipeline points

7. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

really wish i could see my class via interwebz

8. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

What the hell happened!?

9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    LOLAH @ JMS

10. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

I will try to get some content out on my class but I'm pretty content with it. We continue to rack up on speed and athletes. I signed 4 WRs this season when I probably needed none, but they are all fast as shit with two A's and two A-'s in the speed department. I'm all in on this spread offense (although it sure is much shakier without BJ Daniels at the helm) and I've built a stable of horses at the WR position. Next season our average wideout in the 4 WR set will be 6'4 with 95 speed.

I was also able to pluck out a solid RB and two corners with great technique. I was able to sign a DT who will probably start alongside the monster who transferred from Penn State next year. The gem of our class so far is Ryan "Big Hub" Hubbard: a 6'3 221 lb 4-star Free Safety with A speed, B+ ACC, B, AGI, B TAK, C+ coverages, B- HPW, C+ catch. I think he will be our best player by his sophomore year--looking forward to playing with him (no homo).

11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    David sims, quarterback out of rutgers.

12. Blaza

I didn't need him whatsoever but I was still goin all in on him hoping to keep him outta your hands! A nasty pocket passer--NOT what we want Rutgers to have!

13. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

.....Shit

I dont think I have a corner above 90 speed right now... haha

14. Blaza

*Blaza likes this post*

• Like Like x 1
  15. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Dont worry either do I.....but luckily the long sideline bomb is not as prevalent this year as it was in years past. Find a way to cover middle of the field and crossing routes.....let me know when you figure that out!

16. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Sideline bomb works.

It depends on how much acceleration blaza's WR's have. The higher the better. If it's low they will still need time to get open on the deep bomb.

17. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Fucking Recruiting.....I have come to think that it is some of the most random bullshit in the game. 5000 points to sign someone.....I don't believe it. Some guys just wont sign with you and sometimes it is virtually impossible to know. Wasting 2-3 weeks with perfect pitching and 2X and I dont make up any ground and he still signs with someone else.

1. We are not ready to go after the big dogs.
    2. I need to give up on guys if after 1-2 weeks I wont sign them. (problem is those are all the guys I WANT to sign!!!)

back to the drawing board in season 4. I have 1 last idea that is a long shot to work but I can't do much worse. Than this year.....or ryno.

18. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

I just don't think you can quantify recruiting like that. It most certainly isn't a race to see who can get to 5,000 points first.

Personally I think recruiting works in two distinct stages we can't see, although it might be based on their commit level.

Phase I is wooing. Schools going after a guy with him valuing who seems to want him. Really building up interest. Here the points matter the most.

Phase II I don't think points matter any more. At least not from a "moving up on his list" point of view (but you can go the other way at this point - i've noticed that one a few guys i strung along to keep Washington and UCLA occupied for a few more weeks). The big player here is the visit and then any other intangibles - how your team is doing, where he is on your board, other guys you've recruited, etc.

Really once a guy has a full bar that school has to fuck something up to lose him. Either a shitty visit or losing to a rival or something like that.

19. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

lol Bly yeah. Keeping me busy. You puppet master! aaah, I feel so used!

I needed the only guy we were both on, as a backup. Anybody else I chose not to go after. (.... Or in the case of the top 6 guys on my board that I lost... had no choice but to remove them)

20. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Still an element of total randomness......hence the insta-commits.