If the Worst Happens ...

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

If the Worst Happens ...

... and we simply can't get everyone in the dynasty, it's time to consider our options.

The words "start over" have been mentioned.

Personally, I'm against it, since I put a lot of time and effort into the team I have now, but, as always, I'll do what's bets for the league. If we do start over, I suggest we put in the AA sliders we're using now in TDL2. I just got beat last night using them against the CPU, so they're tough enough, but a bit easier than the extreme set currently in place.

If it happens, expect me to bitch about the loss of my fabulous recruiting class, and expect a few new rules. We'll put in a hard 48 hour rule, a no talking guys into staying rule, and a no writeup 2 weeks in a row = sim the third week rule. In short, if we're going to restart, I'm going to get something out of it.

My reasons:

48 hour rule - we've seen what waiting does.

No swaying - faster off-season, and punishment for not balancing the offense/defense. Use a guy up, he'll leave, and his backup might also. Stat-hunt, and your guys will go to the league. This was the rule in my old league. I'd like to bring it back. It makes recruiting much more fun, and real.

No writeup = sim - Simple. Get involved, or take a sim. I won't be warning guys. I'll just be throwing out results and simming when the time comes.

Sound fair?

2. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

fyi...just tried to get in again and i am unable to. nothing has changed on my end.

as for starting over, arch, i dont think its an against or not against it. i say if we get in and get a fix we move one...possibly with all the rules you just stated. however, if we cant fix the issue, we HAVE to start over. just what it is.

so what is next step since im still out of it?

3. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

Someone posted in another thread that when signing up for the league that the description said this is a league for dads, guys who may not be able to get on EVERDAY, and that the league will be relaxed... I personally think we are straying away from that with the 48hr rule and the write up rule.

I say 72 hr advance with an additional 24hr emergency extention (we have TDL2 so play there if you are board)

I say no write up.. At least not mandatory.. Videos are mandatory (all 5 slots should be filled)

I like the no sway idea.

I love this league and the people in it so i'll try do what ever the league decides. Just wanna give my input.

4. vatechhokie01

so with the big IF...

if we start over, I have a few small wishes:
    1) that we all take a minute, breathe, and then select teams that you passionately love, follow, etc. if you don't cool, and most of us already have, but i hate seeing 2 penn state guys with no penn state school in the mix. (note: carolina still needs to be a 2 star or loss imo)
    2) i like the not talking into rule...these days, if a guy has a huge stat year and is eligible, he is almost assuredly leaving. plus it throws some wrenches with transfers and unexpecteds...i like it.
    3) no messing with sliders...ever...except during champ/bowl game season and the off-season. 2 times to adjust sliders per year. with this, i believe the safest way to start (and i think this is the set arch has proposed) is to use another established respected dynasties sliders. this takes the burden off our shoulders with regards to who and why someone came up with a certain set
    4) love the story write-up thing. i believe we should use only EA as the write-up site and the message board for recruiting info
    5) guys just have to be more willing to be simmed and move on.
    6) everyone has to play one user game per year
    7) if you lose...you can not post or comment for 24hrs...lol. time to cool down, accept the loss, and deal.
    8) if you have an issue with a user and how they played you, you deal directly with that person in PMs. and you also just use number 7 to get over it quickly. if you can't work this out with the guy directly, you send PMs to arch or I and we will work on how you should proceed. but overall, freakin trust each other, get over a loss, move on, and if you end the end disagree with how someone plays, dont set up a user-user with them again. but its a video game and i believe all the guys we have, even if we disagree with them, have good intentions in mind.
    9) i would still like a exception 24-hr advance rule in place for champ week and bowl week. only exceptions: death, birth, emergency. If it is a holiday or you or on vacation, you just get simmed.
    10) realize that with all these dynasties and with all the rules, the good ones last for multiple many many seasons and if you get simmed, lose, or are a bitch, you will have tons of opportunities in the future for redemption.
    11) mullen is a bitch.

my two cents.
    heath

P.S. If you pick a spread or option offense, good luck. the damn crap is just broke.

5. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

No idea. I thought you were in. I only had three guys try to retire and get back in. You weren't one of them, so I figured you were good.

I know that starting over might be "just what it is" but it is a serious mulligan for some of the guys who didn't manage their teams very well. That's all I'm saying.

Starting over has its perks. We get to make the rosters more current (using luv's set, which I like). We get to revise teams choices if we want (maybe even let Easy have his squad back ... maybe) and we get to run parallel to the actual season, for a while at least.

Give it some thought, and if everyone is jazzed about it, we'll give it a go.

6. vatechhokie01

sample, my thoughts on your comments:

-first, thanks
    -second, there are 2 ways to view the advance rule. one, we are laidback if we wait constantly (which has just simply been a bitch and become a painful way of life for the league...just has...sorry) OR we are laidback by not caring about ourselves first and foremost and being totally cool and easy with getting simmed every once in awhile so that the rest of the league can move on.
    -i say this about write-ups. if you post 5 videos and take pics that are at least thoughtful, that is def a start...and i think 5 vids should actually be mandatory. but i do believe writeups are just part of the fun. they dont have to be lengthy or elaborate as much as your 2 cents on what happened. most people really enjoy reading them and it is indeed at least a small form of accountability with the league.

bitch.

heath

7. vatechhokie01

freaking LOVE luvs rosters. so good.

and as for carolina, i think he needs to be western kentucky or maybe grambling. no...wait. Western Dakota Community College.

8. BulldogBully

BulldogBully Whiskey Slinger

^^^^^ very important IMO

9. BulldogBully

Good way to look at the positives. It would be nice to have updated rosters.

10. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

As for the advance times:

We have issues either way we go. When we wait, guys get bored. Boredom kills leagues. When we move fast, guys get simmed. Simmed guys/guys who lose tend to get bitchy and quit. I'd rather guys get bitchy and quit. I'm all for a casual game and all, but the super active guys are the ones who make the league what it is for everyone. If I'm going to make a mistake, I'm going to do so in their favor, and live with the consequences.

I like everyone playing one user game, but I also don't want to screw with first year schedules. I'll go either way.

Guys who just show up and play get more and pay less. It's just that simple. Time for everyone to chip in and make the league great for everyone else. Take a week off here and there, but we all like the writeups and recruiting info. We should all participate in some way. But Sample is right - this is meant to be a laid back place - so we should not expect guys to spend entire evenings on this stuff. Pics (try to take one or two yourself), Vids, and a few sentences. We shouldn't ask for mare than this.

I like the slider set being played in TDL2 right now. It's mostly what we're using now, with some concessions in the user passing game. I think it will generate losses during the year, without making the game too difficult for anyone. I don't think anyone will feel robbed by this set.

I can commish three dynasties, which means I can start up one more. We could keep what we have now in case we fix the issue and want to come back in the future. Just an FYI.

As far as sliders go, there's simply no fix. No matter what we play, or how much we test, guys seem to have complaints. The situation calls for one person to say "This is simply what it is." I want to hear opinions, but eventually, after considering opinions, I'm just going to say what's what.

I want things up and running again this evening, one way or another.

Can we get on board with that?

11. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

What I mean by this is, if we restart, week one starts tonight. Accepting invites and preseason stuff would be done this evening, or simmed.

That fast enough for you guys?

12. vatechhokie01

irregardless of what happens in TDL week 1, the real Hokies are about to whip some ass tonight...just saying.

13. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I think this could really be a good thing, if it happens, that is.

I'll be out for the afternoon, but when I get back, I'll read up on what you guys think.

One thing that I know will happen soon, is that the rules in the league description will be updated with more specific guidelines, so we all know what's expected of us. Then we'll make sure to implement a "no-touch" policy for the first season, so we get some stability in regards to game play and difficulty. We can discuss changes in the off season.

I'll shoot out the invites this evening. If we fix our issues soon, we'll go back to what we had. If not, we'll continue with the restart.

Cool?

14. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

I have no problem with the proposed changes and am ready to go as soon as possible. I would also like to see people use a team they have a vested interest in. I could have chosen a 5 or 6 star school, but I am a BYU homer. I would like others to have an attachment to their school so as the banter back and forth means something, its not just the school you're using.

I like the new sliders, the required participation rules, and the hard and fast advance times. I feel that the only time exceptions should even be an option are conference championships or bowl games. Regular season, while important, is just not on the same level.

15. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I can get with that.

16. BulldogBully

I'm good with it. I'm just ready to get back into a groove like we had going at the beginning of season 1!

What are the expectations for the time to accept invites and get all the preseason stuff done tonight? I'm at my store today until 9pm CST tonight (while all you bitches are enjoying Labor Day:mad:)

17. vatechhokie01

amen amen and amen. have to admit im amped about luvs rosters..for the hokies, they are just right.

and bulldog...thx for providing the festivities dog. stay safe in that liquor world of yours!

18. vatechhokie01

arch, if you need any help with all the details of the league rules, regs, page, let me know.

excited to get moving again. and arch, don't worry, EA hates VT with regards to recruiting so I won't be moving up in that area too much (which i like cuz in real life, lets be honest, VT is no recruiting powerhouse).

19. BulldogBully

What's the download name for luvs rosters? I'd like to have them when I play off line.

20. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

ready to roll if we start it up again. I will be swtiching to virginia if the restart happens.

21. vatechhokie01

nice! let the renewed friendly/hated rivalry resume!

22. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

If it ends up being that I'm the lone person who can't re-enter the league, please continue without me. I'd hate to be the reason that we have to start over. I'll be able to stay connected through TDL2, at least. That's better than nothing!

2) However, if we do start from scratch, add me to the list of people who feel as though we should advance every 48 hours (exception to championship/bowl weeks), retain the same sliders (exception to championship/bowl weeks and to be discussed during the off-season), and require write-ups following every game (even if brief).

3) With all due respect to various league members (I really dig you all!), I can't help but think that if you can only play 1 game every 3-4 days and don't enjoy writing post-game thoughts, then why join an online league like this in the first place? The entire purpose of this community is to be more involved and interactive than a typical player who prefers to play his/her dynasty off-line. You're supposed to really throw yourself into your program! I understand that we're not all gifted writers, but it's the effort that counts.

4) While this is technically a Dad's league, the description thread defines this group as a mature, but deeply devoted, community. In other words, this isn't the place for little kids or for those aiming to win the NC every season. (Hence, the focus on sim/anti-cheese play.) At the same time, I don't think it was intended to be a grandfather's league, either. Yeah, it's more laxed, but more in the way VT explained in earlier in this thread. We're not all about winning, so if a game has to be simmed for the sake of the whole, so be it!

5) Think about this ... how active/fun/interesting will this forum be if we play (at most) 2 games a week and don't write post-game articles? How often will most of us even bother to pop on and take a peek? What would be the point? How much fun will it be to take anything less than a 5-star program when you know you're only going to get 3-4 seasons in? In my opinion, those couple of players who happen to have busier lives ... should just suck it up and embrace the occasional sim for the betterment of the league, the forum, and the majority of the players.

6) Only AG read my application, so most of you don't know that I'm a huge Providence Friar basketball fan from Rhode Island. Due to this allegiance, I can't root too hard for PC's BE rivals in football (the better they do, the worse for us!), and I'm sure as hell not rooting for those original BE schools who left for the ACC. For that reason, I have no college specific program that I root for.

7) But as a high school/college football player, I absolutely love the game. I tend to root for the underdogs, and enjoy playing with smaller schools who just may have the potential for bigger things. And if not? Shooting for a simple bowl game can be a ton of fun, too. Thus, for whatever reason, I dig that forgotten school in El Paso. The fans are passionate, the stadium's unique, and I even dig the uni's.

8) Let's get this thing rockin' soon.

*Edit: Oh, and one last thing. Why are members who want to play less often involved in TDL2? In the opening thread, it specifically targets newbies who want to prove their worth and players who need MORE stick time. As it's currently constructed, now we just have two leagues that crawl along. ;)

23. BulldogBully

You can scratch this...you are NOT the only one.

24. BulldogBully

that sucks! I bet it's nice to go to work on Monday morning though without being frustrated from a horrible loss from your team?

25. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

It has it's pros/cons, but the best way to describe is is like this: It's like watching the Super Bowl as an avid football fan, but you have no particular interest in who wins. So, you just sit back and watch as a fan of the game. Basically, I just want an entertaining contest. Every so often, though, I find myself rooting for the smaller/less successful program. Love those upsets!

At the same time, you never feel those unbelievable highs when your program beats a rival or pulls out a must-win. IMO, those moments are worth the disappointments.

I followed this thread on my iPhone throughout the day, so I noticed that I missed a few posts before I wrote mine. AG, your post about the lose/lose predicament is dead-on. I really wish we could please everyone, but it seems as though the majority prefer a faster pace. I hope the more relaxed guys are okay with that, for I really love this group and would hate to see any dissenters. I just think you can't deny that a more active/faster/involved league makes for a better all-around experience. It doesn't have to be crazy, but a lil' bit quicker.

I also agree that the active guys make this place what it is, starting with AG. Think about how fun it is to log on and see new posts! I know that everyone doesn't have the time to be as invested, but a little bit of effort goes along way. The same dudes who post for others to enjoy like to be entertained a little, as well. ;)