If You Joined After Season 1 Please Read - MANDANTORY

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by majesty95, Mar 1, 2013.

1. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

OK guys. Most of this is in the league rules and/or in some of the posts linked in the League Description but I'm going to make a separate post for it.

Stats are just as much a part of sim gaming on TSO as mixing up your play calling. Playing the CPU sim is just as much a part of the culture as playing your human opponent sim.

So, here are some guidelines that EVERYONE needs to follow. These have been in place since season 1 and most of the leagues on here have similar (or more strict) rules for their teams. I understand guys are new and a lot of non-TSO league are less stringent so don't take this personal. But we've had serious issues in the past and this needs to be addressed before it gets out of hand.

Records
    • Records should almost NEVER be broken. The only time it could possibly be acceptable is against another user in a shootout that maybe went to overtime. However, that's a rare one-off and in all likelihood should NEVER happen.
    • Season records should almost NEVER be broken. I realize Peterson almost broke the rushing record and Brees set the passing record and 1-2 guys get 20 sacks every year. However, those guys are playing 15 min quarters and get ~65 plays per game. The average in here is about 50. That's almost a 20% decrease. Its a video game and not perfect so I'm not going to say stats should be 20% less but they should certainly be less than a record that has happened once in 92 seasons.
    Outlier Performances
    • Most passing games should be under 300 yards. A really good game should be 300-400 but shouldn't be the norm. 400+ should be very rare. 500+ almost never.
    • Rushing games should usually be 60-100 yards. Good games 100-150. Exceptional games 150-200. Very rarely (if ever) should a RB go over 200 yards.
    • Truly great receiving performances should be extremely rare due to the fact you have so many options to throw to. 7-9 receptions and 150+ receiving yards should be very rare. 10+ receptions and 200+ yard games should almost never happen.
    • Sacks are probably even easier to control. 3-4 sacks is an outlier performance and those are rare even in the NFL. 5+ sack games are very rare in real life and should probably NEVER happen in here. You have the ability to swap your DEs on the fly, make depth chart substitutions and change your auto subs to get backups more playing time. We should really never see more than 3-4 sacks by one player and those should be fairly rare too.
    Season Standards
    • Quarterbacks should average less than 10.5 yards per pass attempt. The NFL average is about 6.5 so that is plenty of cushion. Seeing as that every user did that last year and all but one are so far this season, that's certainly manageable.
    • Running backs should average less than 6.0 yards per carry. The NFL average is about 4.1 and a couple guys go over 5 each season. Those are rare and a 20% increase to 6.0 is more than reasonable. Everyone is under 6.2 going into this week and all but one (6.1) did it last year so, again, its more than manageable.
    • Wide receivers should average less than 20 yards per reception. Sure, one or two guys MAY go over 20 in real life but if you look at the top 15-20 guys they are usually 14-18. The goal is to mix up passes and use short and intermediate routes and not exploit flaws in coverage repeatedly. If you do those things this is more than manageable. Considering the top 15 or so are under 20.0 this year and the top 15-20 last year were also this is, again, very manageable.
    • Defensive players should stay under 22 sacks. I know the blocking is bad this year, especially at RT, but we can't exploit that. Move guys between LE/RE or LOLB/ROLB and spread the wealth.
    vs CPU
    • You should play the CPU just like you would a human. Run between the tackles, mix up man and zone. Press occasionally but not a majority and mix in blitzes with a lot of different coverages.
    • DO NOT take liberties and blow out the CPU just because you can. Use your backups. Don't be afraid to punt or play field position. Kneel at the end of the game. Play realistic football.
    I know some of this is new to some guys and it may be a difference of approach. However, we're trying to create the most realistic experience possible in these leagues. We want guys to experience games like they see on Sunday (normal games, not one-offs). We want everyone to enjoy themselves and challenge themselves to be as diverse as possible. Win because you're smart and outplayed your opponent (CPU included) not because you kept using the same few offensive of defensive plays you know work better than they should or because you took advantage of a flaw in the AI. That's not sim and its not fun to play against. Most people came here to avoid that so let's ALL give 100% to that.

Here are some links where this has been discussed in other leagues. They are also linked in the League Description and a lot of these items are implemented in the League Rules/Guidelines.
    Let's have no more incidences going forward and have a great remainder of the season! :)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. majesty95

• Like Like x 2
  3. Glen Cieske

Glen Cieske Walk On

acknowledged

4. klhart49

klhart49 Walk On

Acknowledged. Good post.

5. webbs6212

webbs6212 Walk On

I acknowledged.

6. CJTHA1

CJTHA1 Walk On

I understand

7. shiftee

shiftee Walk On

acknowledged

8. DJDunn6

DJDunn6 Walk On

Read and understood

9. Kyswag

Kyswag Walk On

Understood

10. majesty95

11. danwin

danwin Walk On

Read it a few days ago, didn't realize I needed to respond. Sorry