IGN gives NCAA 14 a.... 7.4 ...??

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by Drifterbub, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/05/ncaa-football-14-review

Puzzling considering their rating for ncaa 13 was an 8.

What are your thoughts? I mean, we all know that we have reached some limitations on the current console, but should the game suffer from lofty expectations inflicted by recent marketing efforts by next gen consoles?

I don't know, seems weird to me. I would also like to add that I do not and have never given two shits what IGN thinks about anything.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  2. krtgolfing

krtgolfing Moderator

3. Raidernation

Raidernation I can show you better than I can tell you

I'd give it a 9 but thats just me, I think if the guy played it with an update and decently named rosters he'd change up his story.

Looks like a quote from OS IMO …….
    "THE VERDICT"

"NCAA Football is hitting the glass ceiling of this console cycle. The gameplay itself is better and more refined each time the game is released, but when it’s surrounded by dated visuals, dated audio, dated modes, what’s a fan to do? There’s a good football game here, but it’s far from an impressive package."

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Stanimal032

Stanimal032 EMAW

I've never been one for reviews. IMO this is the best one this generation. For DAMN sure better than last years by far.

• Like Like x 2
  5. broth262

broth262 Dirty Terps

Featured Threads:

They gave Madden 06 for the 360 an 8... Instantly lose any and all review credibility.

IGN is one of the last people I look at for game reviews, and this looks like another reason why.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

Reminds me of an NCAA review from Gamespot. The original reviewer said it was almost a crippling bug that his WRs routes were all squiggly and he couldn't understand what they were. Think he even mentioned how the bug appeared only on road games. The comment section alone... glorious.

EDIT: Was from NCAA 12:

"Editor's Note: This review previously contained incorrect information about receivers' routes appearing as squiggly lines. What we believed to be a glitch is, in fact, a feature to show how nervous a quarterback is. GameSpot regrets the error."

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
    • Like Like x 9
  7. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

8. the bigg dawgg

the bigg dawgg Walk On

I remember that one. it was fucking hilarious. and if I remember right he said that he had played the previous games and had never seen that. it was his deal breaker with the game lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. charter04

charter04 Walk On

I like game informer but, I never trust them or IGN for sports reviews. They mostly are RPG, FPS, and aren't really sports gamers. They thought All-Pro 2K8 was terrible but, gave Madden 06 for 360 an 8. Lol I don't even think one of those two NCAA 14 reviews even mentioned the Foot planting. I go to The Sim Standard on YouTube, Operation Sports, and this site for real sports reviews.

10. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

I think the general consensus is that gamespot, IGN, etc. don't have a sports gaming "guy" that knows what they're talking about with these games. Read the Gamespot reviewers mini-bio at the bottom of the NCAA reviews and you'll understand why people were asking why in the hell he was reviewing a sports game.

11. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

I think the bolded part above is the issue. If the reviewers just came off of reviewing The Last of Us I can see where they might not be impressed by the graphics and storyline of any sports game. The best reviews for this game come from the guys on here who play NCAA religiously and in a serious manner (not 13 year old cheesers). Most guys on here have given the game rave reviews so far and once we figure out all the intricacies and find good sliders, I think we will have the best NCAA game so far.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fiddy14

Fiddy14 THL Commissioner

this is the best NCAA IMO since 06 gameplay wise.

regardless of the reviewer, its tough to review these sports games now a days. no matter the sport, its basically the same old same with fluff added etc. i wish these games would go to a release once every two years. that might just be me, then have a DLC available for the year they skipping. have new menu graphics,printable cover for the game case, roster update, and maybe a tuner or two...

• Like Like x 1
  13. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

Yeah, as long as they have fans like most of us who will buy it every year, they will never do that.

• Like Like x 1
  14. charter04

charter04 Walk On

One of the IGN guys who does sports game review is the Miller guy. He doesn't even know much about college football. He even admitted he's a drop back 20 yards and chunk it up kind of play. He's a tipical cheese casual fan. That's why I could care less what IGN thinks about sports games.

15. Fiddy14

Fiddy14 THL Commissioner

agreed..

im guilty of getting them every year as well..

16. Playmakers

Playmakers Walk On

There was never a Madden 06 on the XBOX 360.....

The 1st one was Madden 07 and yes it did suck.

17. Playmakers

Playmakers Walk On

I didn't like NCAA 12 or 13.....

But I think this years game is on par with NCAA 11 and NCAA 06 my two favorite versions of this series.

The gameplay is improved for sure in NCAA 14....but I agree graphics, commentary and even presentation is really below avg in this game. But having said all that I'm a gameplay geek so I can deal with the lack of other goodies this year.

Been playing this game on Varsity level with adjusted sliders and I'm actually flawed with the results I've been getting on this level. There is still some tweaking to do but I absolutely love the animations I've been able to get on this level through adjustments.

Once I'm done with sliders I can't waite to get going on some Classic 90's rosters as I've always felt any version of NCAA Football plays better with ratings edits anyway. I just can't tolerate EA's default players on the field.

18. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

It really would be nice if they would throw out all the old commentary recordings and give us some new ones. I understand real life Herbstreet probably repeats himself too, but not that much.

19. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

There was a madden 06 for xbox 360. The first xbox 360 "next gen" madden came out after 05 which makes it 06. Google for confirmation.

But the first next gen madden did suck and sucked all the way through 2009

• Like Like x 2
  20. Stanimal032

Stanimal032 EMAW

This. I love all sorts of games, but you have to review sports games differently. You're not going to see the innovation in a sports game like you are in Skyrim, Last of Us, Arkham City, etc. As a hardcore football fan who has been going to K-State games since I was 3 years old, and as someone who has been playing NCAA since Bill Walsh College Football, this is one of the best versions of a college football game I've ever seen.

To the casual fan who doesn't know the ins and outs of the game, it's going to seem like a rehash. To those who have played, supported, and immersed themselves in football culture and gaming, THEY will pick up the subtleties and little things that make this a great game.

It's like the baseball gamers who play the show and are mad they are batting .270. If they're not hitting 80 HRs a season and batting .600 they think it's a crappy game.

21. charter04

charter04 Walk On

There was a Madden 06 for 360 for sure. I had it. One of the worst Maddens ever

• Like Like x 1
  22. jkhaalis991

jkhaalis991 Back in The Deuce...been gone too long.

Madden 06 for the 360 is what made me get into NCAA College Football series full time.....I couldn't believe how terrible that game was.

• Like Like x 1