Illinois survives scare from La Tech

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Will Clinton, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Will Clinton

Will Clinton Walk On

Jul 12, 2012
    If the Illinois team needed a wake-up call, they got it from the small WAC team from the boot, La Tech.

After going up by 3 on a 36 yd FG by RS Freshman kicker Taylor Zalewski, Illini QB Nathan Scheelhaase fumbled the first snap of the next series and lB James for La Tech scooped and scored for 28 yards. On the next offensive series though, Scheelhaase hit his favorite target Ryan Lankford for a 14 yard TD as the qtr ended.

The 2nd qtr was one to forget for the Illini as La Tech scored 13 unanswered and intercepted Scheelhaase 2 times. At halftime, the Illinois stands were as quiet as if they were empty with the hometown team down 20-10.

The 3rd qtr started out well with Safety J. Ramsey intercepting the first pass of the drive and returning it for 39 yards but Coach Clinton was obviously distracted when he called for the 2 point conversion. With confusion reigning on the play, it went for no gain. Illinois added a FG later on to get within 1 at 19-20. With 1:35 left in the qtr, Scheelhaase was sacked for a safety, and on the ensuing drive as the 3rd qtr ended, La Tech scored a TD with a pass from Young to Jones for 20 yds to go up 29-19 to completely deflate the Illinois crowd that was already completely shocked from what was transpiring before their eyes.

The 4th qtr was a different story though. After being backed up to their own 11 yard line by an interception, Scheelhaase hit Hallendorff for an 89 yard pass for a TD to pull them within 3 at 26-29. After going back and forth for a couple of series, the Illini finally got in position to tie the game and Kicker Zalewski came through for the 3rd time in the game on a 28 yarder. After utilizing some timeouts and stiff defensive play, the Illini gave Zalewski the chance to be the hero with :11 seconds left on the clock and the ball placed at the 19 yard line. Zalewski was as straight as Wild Bill as he nailed his 4th FG, again from 36 yards out. Zalewski was actually the player of the game going 4-4 on the day.

Because of playing from behind almost the whole game, and the complete lack of a running game on the day, Scheelhaase had a good day again, throwing for 415 yds and 2 TD hitting 21/36 passes. He also threw for an INT and had a fumble returned for the TD. The other bright spots for the offense were TE Evan Wilson hauling in 7 catches for 91 yards, Ryan Lankford catching 4 for 87 yards and a TD, and of course Hallendorff who snagged 3 passes for 127 yards and the long TD.

The defense was obviously porous, but CB Hawthorne totaled 8 tackles, Ramsey picked off another pass after the one he returned for a TD in the 3rd qtr, and DT Anthony Spence racked up 2.5 sacks on the day.

After the game, Coach Clinton had this to say.

“I think this was a learning experience. What we learned was that you have to buckle up both chin straps every Saturday you put pads on. You can never let go of that rope and you have to pull together as a team and make things happen. La Tech isn’t going to give you anything. They are leaving right now thinking that they let one slip through their fingers, and I can’t really disagree with them too much. How about Zalewski though, in essentially his first real action as a NCAA football player he comes out and wins the game for us. There is no coaching involved in hitting a FG with the weight of the team on your shoulders. There is no scheming, no decision making, no nothing. All I can do is put him in the position and he has to take it from there. I’d say he accomplished that. Our QB play was good today, a lot of yards, but he has to take care of the ball. We can’t have 3 Turnovers from the QB and win in Big 10 play, which we start next week. We will have these issues sorted out hopefully by next Saturday and send Penn St out of here with a loss.”
    • Like Like x 1
  2. CTfromDC

CTfromDC Where my money?

Mar 15, 2012
    Go Bulldogs!!! hahaha, just phuckin witya

i got them in the Against the Grain OD...Good comeback!