Illinois the new Toledo? Tarheels like Fedoras?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by gowazzucougs, Dec 9, 2011.

1. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

Friends,

There is news this morning coming out of Champaign, Illinois that Cheez Fighting Illini have hired a new coach. Who may you ask is the new coach? Well Tim Beckman, the Head Coach of Toledo. There were reports early this season that Toledo was the best 1-3 football team in the country. They beat that juggernaut, New Hampshire, then lost three tough games, Ohio State, Boise State, and Syracuse. That Syracuse loss should not count, because but for PAC-12 Officials impersonating as Big East Officials, Toledo would have won that game. In addition yesterday as I drove home from work, I listened to the Mandel Initiative Podcast. One of the mailbag questions was about the Illini program, the question was, can the Illini become like Wisconsin, Iowa, and Michigan State? Stewart Mandel said it came down to getting the right coach. Cheez do you like the hire, and do you agree with Stewart Mandel?

We also should not forget about aarondramp school of choice UNC. UNC didn't wait till the end of the season to fire it's coach, the school fired the coach before the season even started. Which was weird to me, because he should have been fired last season. Well today, the UNC Board of Trustees approved the hiring of Larry Fedora, the coach of the 2011 Conference USA Champions, Southern Mississippi. aarondramp can you tell us your thoughts on this hire.

Lastly, the news of these events leave our commish's school without a head coach. recchem2000 what are your thoughts on this? The rumors floating around the net is that the Bruins are down to their fourth choice, and I don't even know if the leading candidate is the school's leading candidate, Jim Mora Jr. Based on my skimming Mora wants the job, but I don't know if the Bruins want him. Now, some of you may not know this, but UCLA use to be really good, and really good every year. Since, about the late 90's the school just hasn't been the same. Pete Carroll beat the crap out of all the schools, especially the cross town rival UCLA. My personal take, is that no one wants the UCLA job because they can't catch up to USC. It is not about the money, because if WSU can pay a coach $2.5 million, then UCLA should be able to afford someone for more money. recchem2000 what is wrong with the UCLA job, and why will no one take it?

2. aarondramp

aarondramp ten thousand words

I'm not a big fan of hiring a guy right when he's hottest since people lack perspective and forgot what happened months ago. I was going to be disappointed if it wasn't Peterson from Boise. Fedora went 22-17 at Southern Miss before this year. He was Florida's OC under Zook (when they weren't good), and Oklahoma State's OC when they weren't good.

Florida and Oklahoma St. got much better after he left. That's disturbing. I'm sure some will spin at as him being a good recruiter and leaving talent there, but I'm not sold. My guess is that UNC will be hiring again in 4 or 5 years.

I wouldn've been happier with Leach.

3. gowazzucougs

Here is my response, schools have to make a choice about at what costs are they willing to win at. Mike Leach is good to great coach, however he comes with baggage. WSU made the decision it was going to look past the baggage and hire him because at the end of the day we are tired of losing the Huskies, the Ducks, and whoever else, and we didn't care about the baggage. Mike Leach last year should have been hired at Maryland, but the higher ups got cold feet, and forced the AD to go with the safer choice, Edsall. I wonder if Maryland would like a do over. The Terps could easily be the "Oregon of the East" with their uniform attire, but you need to win games to catch recruits eyes.

4. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

I have no comment on the UCLA situation. I don't know what happen to us in the past decade. Cougs is right, we used to be good. Back in the 80's we won every stinking bowl game we went to, Rose Bowls included. The 90's went well, then Pete Carroll showed up cross town and fucked everything up for us. I have no idea who they hire. Cheez is say Mike Martz, who I really don't like...he seems smug to say the least. Hell, i'll coach them. Im putting my resume together tonight :D

5. gowazzucougs

recchem2000

to go even further, when I was kid I thought it was like a rule that the USC-UCLA game always decided the PAC-10 title. It was always on TV, while other people could not find the Apple Cup on TV.

6. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Yep it was always a great game...I remember some classics. Unfortunate how things have changed for us in that respect. The only win we have over USC in the last, what, 15 years, was that 13-9 slugfest a few years back.

7. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

1st - as i mentioned to you earlier cougs, im not really sure what to think of the hire. I like Beckman better than Sumlin, whom Illinois nearly did rip away from A&M. Beckman has been pretty good in Toledo. But I think im more interested in what he does with the rest of his staff.

As far as the Mandel podcast....I have an issue with the question, first off. Wisconsin is a team that is up there fighting for the Big Ten title every year. Iowa is a perrenial 7-5 / 8-4 team with one or two really good years in the last . Michigan State has no sort of consistency over the last decade with their record at all. So we've got three different questions here. Let me rephrase the question in a different way. Can Illinois consistently be a team that's in the second-tier of the league? They have been from time to time, but they are very consistent. first, let me define the tiers:

Tier A: Ohio State, Nebraska, Penn State, Michigan, Wisconsin
    Tier B: Iowa, Michigan State
    Tier C: Illinois, Northwestern
    Tier D: Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota

Tier A is compiled of teams that are consistently in the running for the conference championship and have established themselves as one of the household names in football. Tier B has a team that is usually decent but rarely great (Iowa) and a team that has been pretty good the last couple of years but hasn't established themselves as a powerhouse quite yet. Tier C has teams that can occasionally make a cinderella run and can sneak up on higher level teams, but are not always bowl eligible. Lastly, Tier D is the bottom of the barrel.

So, my answer is yes, illinois can make themselves a Tier B team. And yes, they are probably one good coaching hire away from that. But lets wait and see if Beckman is that guy first.

• Like Like x 1
  8. aarondramp

aarondramp ten thousand words

recchem2000

And now it looks like UCLA has their man: Jim Mora, Jr. Maybe he can do what another failed NFL coach did in that city.