I'm becoming a fan of an entire conference

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Hellisan, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I'm becoming a fan of an entire conference

The Mountain West.... Not just because they're good. But they're interesting as hell as a conference.

The Mountain West Conference has some of the best coaching in all of college football. I firmly believe that.

They have kind of a hokey little network that actually hurts them in terms of their prestige, nation-wide exposure, etc... (the Mtn.) but you can see a lot of the games on there and I love watching these teams!

And don't even pretend this commercial isn't hilarious:

[youtube]Ko3mqXX98Zo[/youtube]

Let's just start at the top

TCU - I believe they're the team to beat this year, and I've seen TCU a couple of times in person, as well as watching them every time I can on television. They took apart UVA today, which is totally unimpressive since Virginia is coached by one of the worst of all time, Al Groh. But honestly, I thought they were gonna shut that team out from the beginning. They almost did.

Utah - Obviously, they went undefeated last year and hammered Alabama in the bowl game. Oops, bcs! I wonder how long they can keep Whittingham!?

BYU - Another team that is just exceedingly well coached, how they manage to find guys like Mendenhall is what makes BYU a competitive college football team despite having caucasian people comprise the vast majority of their potential players.

Ok, so after these three teams it sort of falls off a cliff... but nevertheless there's something interesting about every team in the conference.

San Diego State - the team I follow most closely since I'm in town, I'm waiting to see if Brady Hoke is for real. This is such an impatient town that he's not gonna have eight years here (or whatever it took him) to make Ball State a good team. But the talent that's on hand locally makes this team a huge sleeping giant.

Wyoming - The thing that comes to mind is the elevation. Tough to win there despite the fact that they rarely have much talent. Also, their colors are shit brown and piss yellow... ya gotta admit that's interesting.

UNLV - Can you find a way to keep your kids under wraps in Las Vegas? Particularly your guys over 21 years old and/or the ones that have good fake IDs? lol

Air Force - Can your team figure out the option when playing these guys?

Colorado State - they upset Colorado last week, and frankly, with the difference in prestige, facilities, etc. there's just no excuse for that from the perspective of Colorado. They should lose once out of every 20 times they play these guys...

New Mexico - Losing Rocky Long probably hurts them. They weren't on the level of the top teams in the conference but they at least had an identity.

2. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Good post Helli. I don't think people realize how hard it is to be consistently competitive when you aren't in one of the major BCS conferences. We don't get many of the MWC games here on the Southeast, but I do have Versus and have watched my share of games.

I mostly tune in when they play a squad from a bigger conference and they never disappoint. San Diego State had a big time commitment from 4 Star QB Tyler Bray early, but he blew up at the Elite 11 camp and switched to Tennessee. And yes, I'm alo baffled that BYU can beat squads with 25 year old married white guys :D.

3. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

lol... after the featured commercial ends, scroll over to their batman commercial. Wish more broadcasters were like that.... to broadcast and entertain is a great watch.

4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

LOL! He really channels Owen Wilson in that....