I'm not going to even bring it up next season...

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by Drifterbub, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I'm not going to even bring it up next season...

... I'm just going to start enforcing penalties.

Please watch your gameplay on defense and make sure you are mixing it up. There are Free Safeties that lead their team in tackles by a HEALTHY margin when the defense isn't all that bad. There are also cases of safeties who have double digit sacks and lead their teams in TFL.

I won't say it again, keep your defensive play realistic and we can adjust the sliders. It's hard for people who play defense with tough sliders when guys adjust the game so much by bringing up a FS or something to play the run. We have to turn up the CPU running sliders just to get realsitic results when guys are stacking 9 in the box. If you want to stop the run, control your LBs or DLs.

If everyone plays realistically and without greatly altering basic sets (i.e. show blitz over 50% of the time) then I'm confident we can tune it to something that works.

2. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

Not sure what the penalties are.. but i will probably fall victom to them... while i dont lead my defense in tackles for loss or sacks.... Nelson does lead them in tackles.. but as everyone who plays me knows, my free safety is in on just about every tackle if the play is to the flats or anywhere on the left side of the field... i dont bring my FS to the line... but if its a sweep, he comes up pretty hard...

3. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Yeah there seems to be a bit of a speed issue I think. You can pick a SS or FS be 10-15 yards behind the LOS and when the QB Playactions or hands the ball off you can speed burst your FS/SS into the back field before either HB gets out of the back field or the the QB gets a chance to set his feet.

Its like a hand off or PA is in slow motion for a bit.

4. JrRawlins

if it has really become that big of an issue, i will move to linebacker and play there, i have asked most of the players i play against, their thoughts... but linebacker could be cool.... i will start there next season if thats ok....

5. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I play more LB as it seems a bit more realistic.

6. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I'm not trying to single you out at all JR, and believe me, taking a look around the nation, Nelson isn't the only one.

I don't mind it so much in user games, because you are effective with it. It makes your defense tough to stop and I can understand that.

It's the CPU situations that JMS mentioned and how you can just absolutely destroy the backfield and sweep plays without the CPU making you pay for it. So we have an issue where someone is running a base defense and allow the CPU to get 4-5 yards on average (before say their CB or OLB runs him down) to -3 yards because a S is flying through the line untouched to smash the RB before he can make his cut (dumb CPU AI) up the field.

7. JrRawlins

yeah thats fine, i hvae no problem playing Linebacker.. might actually make my defense better, as i seem to get fried or overpursue playing free safety.... (y)

8. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Just to clarify, I don't mind a FS leading your team in tackles, as long as the majority of those tackles come from pass coverage (which is the role of a FS). In Nelson's case, he has 130+ tackles, which is more than the FREAK (seriously, look at his attribs) LB Curran from Georgia.

9. JrRawlins

like i said, its no problem here, i know i am no thte only person to use my FS, i just like to point i use him , and if someone has an issue plese come to me with it, i try to be as accomadating as possible....i have been experimenting playing linebacker anyway.. so it will be cool to try it out full time next season... i got a freshman linebacker i want to see if i can make him a stud now i got a chance..

10. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Yeah it is more of an issue when a SS or FF has a high amount of TFL or Sacks.

A SS or FS a good year would be 10-15 TFL and maybe 3-4 Sacks.

11. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

I try to switch up from FS, SS, and DE. I know my DE leads my team in sacks, not sure about TFL. I know my SS or FS don't have that many sacks.

I don't ever play 9 in the box, but I do play 8 in the box against strong running teams, but I swap up between my FS and SS, and also play my DE at least 20% of the time.

12. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Yeah, I don't think we could ever say that you can't use the Safties, but mixing it up is probably the best policy.

13. JrRawlins

like i said no issue here, i exclusively play with Nelson, but i dont put him in the box... if i see a run though, i am coming up to make the play.... i can play linebacker though, no biggie it will give me more freedom to blitz from that spot, as at free safety i cant blitz at all... without giving up something big....

14. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Would this mean that the 4-2-5 would be outlawed against the CPU? I run it against the CPU and users alike, but I control the ROLB which is actually lined up like a Will linebacker rather than on the edge. This means that I do have safeties coming from the edge, but I let the CPU control them. I also control the DE on passing situations so that I don't mess up the coverage of my linebacker, which I am prone to doing.

Looking at my individual numbers on defense, it doesn't seem like I would fall victim to any penalty. Both of my leading tacklers are my top two linebackers. Just looking for some clarification on the 4-2-5.

15. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    No, I don't think I mean that. But you should probably make sure you have the personnel to actually be running the 4-2-5. Meaning that you are probably weak at linebacker and have some run stopping SS depth.

You don't have a Will LB in a 4-2-5. A Will is a weak side backer and is typically anywhere from the A-gap over given the formation. What you have is two neutral backers, sometimes you hear them referred to as a Sam or Will, just to differentiate which one is lined up where, but they are typically both inside the B-gaps.

16. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Yeah, I said like a Will linebacker because he isn't, ACTUALLY; he is a ROLB who I play inside. I do have the personnel for the 4-2-5 since Flo felt that he needed every linebacker to go to his school last season. Also deep at both free and strong safety. I hope all those linebackers transfer from USC when they realize that he brought them in just to stack his bench and that they'll never see the field! :D

17. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

As much as I would like to bury Jr for always beating me and taking my recruits, he plays his FS spot legitimately. It would be easy for him to attack my option offense by bringing his FS up on every play but he doesn't do that. He follows what the play should be.

18. JrRawlins

appreciate that man......

expect to see my Redshirt frosh MLB Boyd or Lane ( havent decided who to start yet) in your backfield often next season.....(y)

19. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

Just make sure whoever you make the starter knows that they will be chasing 2009 #3 ATH Jerry Jones all over the field. You better start the conditioning now.

20. bogey21

bogey21 Walk On

I run the 4-2-5, I have been since year 1 game 1, and honestly Im a little surprised how often he has been getting home this season. I have been up big and early on some teams and they have abandoned the run and chucked it on me. Im a zone blitzing team and almost every play I have at least 1 of my 2 SS's in the box, almost like a LB, (think Roy Williams of Brian Dawkins). I do control Overstreet about 40-50% of the time, but I also mix it up between DE's, the other SS and FS. I guess my question is should I be doing something differently? Overstreet is a 86 speed, and in no way am I abusing some AI glitch or anything like that, I dont see any real difference from a number of teams that spread there D line, and take there DE out even a few steps further, they are basically coming from the same place. some of the DE's in this dynasty are faster than my SS's. Nevertheless, this is a good convo to have and I think anyone that played me will tell you that I dont abuse this.

21. JrRawlins

exactly this is good convo for the league.... as long as people are mixing it up, i dont think its a problem.... like i said for the sake of more realism statistically and maybe even gameplay wise, i will move to linebacker... and see what i can do there....

22. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:

I'm not sure what to say other than to make sure that you are mixing it up. Overstreet had double digit sacks, so that means he pretty much gets one a game. Not sure if that has ever happened in the history of college football, but that would be something I would have to look up.

I don't think I can find anything cheap with it, and I'm not saying it is. The 4-2-5 is really meant for teams who can't otherwise defend the pass (A&M switched to it after having the 115th ranked pass defense in '06 I think). It was a base set, but it's not to be substituted for a nickel or dime set. So on passing situations, you really shouldn't be in the 4-2-5.

23. theSANDMAN215

theSANDMAN215 Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, HI

that was the only way i beat you in the first game i played you. i waited for you to decide who you would cover, and throw to the other guy (y)

24. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

I played most of my last game against UNC as the middle LB, and I had 16 tackles, pretty fun.

25. theSANDMAN215

theSANDMAN215 Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, HI

im not good enough at safety, get beat too much. but i love playing as the MLB because you can almost control the middle of the field.