Important FYI

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by carolinaeasy, Feb 1, 2011.

1. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

It has been 2,627 days (7 years, 72 days) since Michigan last beat Ohio State

Just thought we would all like to know that.

2. Goose

Goose Walk On

Damn, That is AWESOME!!!!!!!

O-H

3. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Not that I like OSU all that much, I just still haven't gotten over the whole two second thing in '05

4. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I-O

Can't leave that one hangin'

Believe it or not, I'm actually glad to see Richrod go. Michigan simply has to be relevant. Football isn't the same if they aren't. Same with Notre Dame. I still want to crush them in each and every game, but I don't want us walking over a patsy anymore.

I just wish they got Harbaugh. Hoke should do a good job, but Harbaugh coulda brought back some of the "Woody vs. Bo" feeling. Hoke's just not a name yet.

5. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I never thought RichRod was right for Michigan, but he shouldn't have been canned yet. His offense was working this year and the fallacy of the team was his defense. They should have asked him to bring in a new d-coordinator and gave him some time.

6. Goose

Goose Walk On

I have to agree with Easy. Richrod simply didn't have enough time to get his guys into his system. If Denard had guys around him and a D, Michigan had a chance to be good.

7. nkmi1984

nkmi1984 Walk On

If Michigan had at least an 80th ranked D they would have won more games. RichRod screwed up bigtime by forcing the spread O with no spread pieces in his first year. For Christ's sake Steven Threet and Nick Sheridan were the QBs. Granted Threet played well at ASU this year because he is a pro style QB. Rich did not adapt the O to the personnel. Essentially he was trying to put square pegs in round holes.

I never liked richrod and did not think he would last. If you guys watched michigan games you would see that all the bigtime points and stats came in the 4th quarter when they were down 17 points and were in hurry up mode vs umbrella defenses.....ie penn st, iowa, msu, wisconsin.

I do think the Ohio St game could have been different if Michigan could have scored on their first two drives. Maybe it would have given them a little psychological advantage. Still, Ohio St. has way more talent. Plus I think they have like two 5 stars and twelve 4 stars already signed lol.

Brady Hoke has done an amazing job recruiting considering the circumstances. He has already stated he will use Denard to maximize his talents so that is a plus right there. I personally think they win 9 games next year. Hell, the D cant get much worse lol.

8. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

That system just wasn't going to work in the Big Ten, or anywhere up north. You have to practice against what you're going to play against. There's just no way you're going to practice against that hocus-pocus crap all week and then line up and stop John Clay. Even if he had the athletes, he wasn't going to succeed. I just can't believe a school with the tradition of Michigan bought so fully into the latest fad.

They'll be back. I think Hoke will do a good job. But I think we're fooling ourselves if we think they were about to turn a corner and get good. They are a long, long way away.

Hoke is a perfect example of this. I mean, it's Michigan. It's one of the best jobs going, and no one wanted it because they know what a tough build it's going to be. Richrod left the program in shambles.

9. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I believe it would have worked just fine given a better situation. Michigan had too many restrictions on admission that made it difficult at times to go after the type of players needed. The part about the defense struggling due to the "hocus-pocus" of the offense is a bit off. Most schools have a team that runs the opponents offense at them, you never spend all week running your 1st team o and your 1st team d. Most schools never have that occur once the game prep begins.

Also I don't get the belief that a spread won't work up north. PSU is running a spread offense for a lot of success. It got a little bit away from it this year with the QB situation but Darryl Clark and MRob were able to run the spread effectively in the Big Ten. Also the last time I checked WVU was as northern as Ohio State in terms of climate factors. Anyway to make a long story short if you hire Greg Robinson as your D coordinator after what he did in Syracuse you deserve to get fired.

10. nkmi1984

nkmi1984 Walk On

Demar Dorsey is a perfect example. Rated one of the fastest kids in last year's class, signed with michigan and wasnt allowed admission. He sure would have helped that secondary. Went to Louisville and got i think got kicked out and is now at Grand Rapids Community College (GRCC). He might even get kicked out of GRCC from what my buddy who coaches there tells me.

11. TD351

TD351 Walk On

HE sounds like SEC material to me.....

12. bdub

bdub Walk On

Maybe Auburn can buy him, and make another championship run.

13. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

1. At WVU, RR got players by taking the kids no one wanted, or no one wanted to gamble on. Known talents with issues and no possible chance of graduating. This was my biggest WTF moment when I heard he got the job at Michigan. All the kids he used to recruit are not going to make it at UM, and legit recruits will only see him as a thug recruiter. It was a total lose-lose for both. RR can't do legit, and dirty kids can't make it at a high profile academic school like UM. Made no sense to me, and it was never close to working out.
    2. The spread is different from system to system. RR's system is all about getting you out of position. If you can't be fooled, it can't work. This is a lot different from Penn State, who run a dramatically different system. For example, while PSU has had a number of good runners behind center, it's not a necessity. They mixed it up quite a bit. At UM and WVU, the running QB was everything. All hocus-pocus, every egg in a single basket. It's just not a system that will be around for long. It cuts out too many options by creating a single playmaker for the entire offense. The spread and spread concepts are here to stay. RichRod's gimmicks are a fad, and any good d-coordinator is already ahead of him. Some might not have the athletes to stop it, but good teams will eat him up, just as a middle tier SEC defense ate up Oregon. RichRod gets a MAC job, and should be happy to have it when it comes.
    One man's opinion.

14. nkmi1984

nkmi1984 Walk On

I believe he was suppose to go to florida and he shocked the nation by going to michigan on signing day. I think it was one of the big shockers of that day

15. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Didn't Auburn do this same thing this year?

16. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Auburn is the worst champ in the last dozen years. They were on the ropes a half-dozen times, the bama loss was so bad it had to be fixed, and Oregon would have been the worst champ in the last fifteen if they hadn't stunk it up in the final.

Just like the Pat White days, the "one guy" held up and didn't get hurt, and the cheaters won again. But it took more twists of luck to get them there than anything I've seen since my 2002 Bucks, who went right down to the wire in almost every game that season.

It wasn't a bad year of football, but it sure ended badly. No way those two teams were the best. Not even close.

17. bdub

bdub Walk On

So who were the best two teams?

18. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I'm not sure there were two great teams. Bama was the best top to bottom, but they stumbled and choked again and again. Boise was really good, but stumbled. TCU might be better than either of the title game participants, and their schedule was as tough as Oregon.

If pressed, I'd say Bama and Stanford were the two best, but Stanford made too many mistakes against the Ducks, and didn't quite have the speed. I think Boise coulda beat either of those teams, too, but that's just the process. The games don't always give us the best teams in the big dance. Using my Bucks as a reference again, Miami was clearly better than Ohio State in '02. We won, but we didn't have the same talent. When we played Florida, we were clearly better than they were, but the game became a rout in the other direction. You just never know.

Auburn didn't have much. They had Cam (and they shouldn't have) and a decent d-line. That's it. Oregon had nothing. They were worse than the team Ohio State beat up on last season, but things fell their way, and they got a shot. They almost won it. Watch how few of these guys end up on NFL draft boards. I bet that Miami '02 team alone put more guys in the league than both of the this year's title teams will. I bet the OSU team from the same year beats the numbers as well. You can bank on it. That's why I think this year's teams were weaker than any I've seen in a number of years.

That's my case, at least.

19. bdub

bdub Walk On

I agree both Oregon and Auburn were weak this year. However, you can't just take how many people go to the NFL as an indicator of how good a team really is. Its what you get done on the field that counts and both Oregon and Auburn got it done when they needed to. To me thats what makes a champion, playing above your ability as a team in key moments. Both Oregon and Auburn did that. Just as OSU did so in 2002.

20. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I wouldn't disagree with any of that. It just felt like we were being "sold" greatness this year, rather than simply watching greatness, like we did when USC and Texas played one of the greatest games ever. Those teams were far better than this year's participants, if you ask me.

I'm not sure any team was truly great this year, no matter who might have won out. There just wasn't a lot there.