Impressions?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Impressions?

Just wondering how the games played.

Scores seem reasonable, though we seem to be putting up some pretty big offense. However, we seem to give up our fair share of points as well. That Oregon game must have had a score on every third play or so.

The VaTech game looked like fun. Pulling a hero win in the first game makes for some good drama.

So far, my impression is that I ran like crazy, had some real trouble passing (including a number of drops and passes the d knocked away after the receiver had them) and had to deal with the CPU breaking a lot of tackles. Stats seem reasonable, but I took my foot off the gas before the fourth.

Let's not run up any arcade scores, and we'll talk about adjustments when the week's over.

2. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

my thoughts on a big cpu-user game are:

-felt great overall. running wasn't as easy as it had been, mostly because breaking tackles was basically none existent for me (didn't break one)
    -the cpu offense broke a bajillion tackles. the plus is that they were tough to stop and put up some pts. the down was that it was frustrating to no end as literally on each of the 3 big plays one of their slow white guys would break 4 to 5 tackles...getting em from behind was by far the most frustrating, almost impossible task.
    -i got 4 sacks from the DE i controlled playing straight up (hardly ever blitzing) against the tackle. i will say these all came in late 4th/OT period while the QB was trying to pass long
    -passing for me, in terms of catching, etc...felt absolutely great. 1 drop.
    -LOVED the penalties...actually had a few but it was both ways and not too often

overall, had a blast. very good starting pt in my opinion. i beat Boise 24-0 on default AA in my first personal season and this time...just plain fun!

3. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

Guys I wont be able to get my game done till tonite around 7-8pm cst.

I hope this is OK.

4. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Fine by me. If we advance tonight, it would be faster than I thought it would be.

5. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I think any system that raises the level of the CPU is going to frustrate us, since we're not accustomed to getting beat. For me, the robo-qb (last year - this year's sliders don't do this) was the most frustrating. Tons of broken tackles are frustrating, too, but I think I would prefer that.

Now, I do find it frustrating that the pass coverage seems to run the receivers route ahead of him, but as far as I'm concerned, that's better than having us put up 500 pass yards a game.

All in all, I'm happy with the gameplay. It feels pretty good. And we've seen a wide variety of scores. It's a nice start.

6. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

I thought it worked pretty well. My D was absolutley non-exsistent against the spread no-huddle. Created alot of turnovers late. Alot of holding calls against the CPU but besides that it seemed pretty fair.

7. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I had a lot of CPU holds as well

8. vatechhokie01

those cpu holds will become maddening user holds when we step away from home stadiums...lol. can't argue that that's not realistic however!

9. DoomsDayD1978

DoomsDayD1978 Walk On

The number of cpu broken tackles was the only issue that raised an eyebrow for me. It was not anything I couldn't live with. I just wondered though, if SJSU is able to break this many tackles, what will I have to encounter against the likes of cpu controlled SEC foes.

10. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

It seems to me that we are putting up pretty big numbers. It's not unheard of in week one, but I think it implies a need for tougher CPU D. Here's what I'm thinking so far: (work in progress, so suggest away)

* Run D needs to get better (did anyone find passing easy?)
    * Maybe a drop to 7 minute quarters
    * We might need a way to keep the holding calls down a bit. (especially for the CPU)

I really don't want to do that second one. 8 minutes seems to give us the right number of plays, but most of those plays seem to be coming on offense. I'd like a chance to compete for defensive awards, and I don't see that happening with our top guys getting four tackles a game. Still, keeping the scores down is probably a better goal.

11. vatechhokie01

again, i played probably the toughest foe this week and thought passing was ok. i agree with most above that missed tackles are livable if it means the cpu can actually generate some offense. i like 8 quarters. guess all that to say i dont know a fix. dont want running to be too hard. i consider myself a pretty good runner and avg'd 5.2 against boise with back over 31 carries. no idea. maybe wait and see how others do against actual opponents?

12. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Let's Slow Down a Second

I think we should leave the sliders where they are for at least three weeks. I mean one week of scores is not a good sample size to determine what changes need to be made. I do think we will need to make changes but lets get another couple of weeks in first. Most of us played cupcakes, and we should have posted those scores, but we also should have passed for better than what we did.

Some things that frustrated me:
    1. Broken tackles by the cpu. Southern Miss should not have 20 broken tackles against a good SEC defense such as USC.
    2. The crazy pass coverages. I could rarely throw at my first two reads, it was usually at a check down. The few times I did complete a pass to my primary target was on a play action pass that was vastly over set up.
    3. Running was realistic because even though I put up good numbers, I had to scheme to get those numbers. I had to motion to better situations, and check out of plays to better ones. I really felt as though 260 yards rushing against Southern Miss, when my game plan was to run 4/5 plays was realistic.

If it was me I would wait another couple of weeks and see where we stand.

13. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I'm not saying we should adjust right this second, but I do think we're going to run it up with some consistency. Typically, a blowout vs a smaller conference team gets in the forties with regularity, the fifties on occasion, and the sixties if the coach is Tebowing it up for the Heisman voters. We had eighty points scored in one game, and over a hundred in another. That's a ton.

Now, we also gave up a good number of points, so there's some balance, but as a whole, I think we're just a little too big on the scoreboard. But it's not a big deal to me. However, if we score in the fifties and sixties with any regularity at all, then moves will be made. But not just yet.

Over all, I'm encouraged. Yes, the broken tackles are frustrating, but I think they discourage us from blitzing on every down and encourage solid assignment defense, which is good. Still, playing solid, making a good play, and then seeing a 180 lb WR shake off my MLB and get a first down ... that's frustrating. But we need some way for the CPU to get some stats. I'll see if there's an adjustment listed in the thread over at OS.

But we're not talking about anything that seems too unrealistic. No floating DBs. No insta-sacks. No ridiculous closing speed. All in all - a good start.

14. BulldogBully

BulldogBully Whiskey Slinger

I will get my game in tonight after 10pm. I wasn't able to find the time last night and I've got a 12 hour day today at my store. I will go ahead and recruit via computer while at work, then I'll be sure to weigh in on the slider and game play settings.

15. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

So far I really enjoyed the sliders. Hard to get a good feel though given my opponent. I am going to play a few weeks before I really comment as I need to get used to playing in a spread offense, I typically run pro style.

16. brucebond

brucebond Walk On

i didn't mean to run up the score. once i was up big at half, i simmed alot of the drives.

17. vatechhokie01

8tds by starters vs. rice might be a bit of a stretch with regards to realistic sim-play ...lmao. nice ass-kicking though. do we have hard rule on when is ok to sim? ever? 4th quarter? certain spread? etc.

18. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Really? Did you have to go and hang 77?

FYI - the sim feature is set up to sim a game at the default settings. It's set up to get a full game's stats in five minute quarters. If you sim large chunks of time, you get a lot more snaps than the rest of us ... which is why 77 points is possible even if you're not taking the snaps. Sim does not necessarily equal sim, if you know what I mean.

I'm beginning to think there's no reason to wait multiple weeks to adjust. Just know that if a change happens, it won't be me doing it. It will be the guys putting up the basketball scores.

19. brucebond

brucebond Walk On

i won't sim at all in the future, then. sorry again.

20. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Not many people know that about the sim feature. It's a completely honest mistake.

It's no big deal. I just want to get a sense of what we can do, so we can set the league up accordingly. 77 says I need to adjust, but I don't know for sure because of the number of simmed plays. Hang 50 in the red river shootout though, and we'll have to move the sliders.

21. vatechhokie01

unless bruce is just badass and we are all chumps. but gotta bench players in a blowout and stop passing. and if your 1st string RB is hurt, gotta bench the 2nd string as he is your guy now. either way, bruce, you da man...no worries.

22. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

+1 This is understandable in week one, but now it has been discussed. I don't want the sliders all whacked up because some people on here won't sub their benches when the game is in hand. I did that even though my starting tailback could have gone over 200 yards. I did it because it was what we are supposed to do on here. I hope we can all do this, stop the super sim, and get a good look at the results so we can move the sliders to fix the unsim part of our dynasty.

23. Goose

Goose Walk On

Heck I was up big at halftime switched to 2nd string O and ran almost every play. My backup running back did better than the starter and I didn't use speed burst at all in the second half. I also switched to 2nd team D halfway through the third. They just couldn't stop my run.

24. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

yeah I did the same when I got up big. I think that is one way to keep it fair, and get a glimpse of the future

25. mbmonk

mbmonk Walk On

I would tend to agree with this. From my perspective, I stress my perspective, it was really easy to run the ball, but I was play FAU. So that makes sense. Once I play another quality football team controlled by the CPU then I will get a decent reading on the sliders.

But it seems like almost everyone ran the ball with success this first week so that is something that I am going to pay closer attention to.