Impressions

Discussion in 'TSO: Xbox 360 Clan' started by Shaun Mason, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Anyone who has it, it is your solemn duty to keep me entertained at work.

:)

2. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

Yes, need to know how awesome this game is. I am sitting at a desk tracking containers. I need to be entertained.

3. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Agreed. Problem is, most people who have it already probably stayed up pretty late playing so they wont be up for awhile.

4. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

No, I need answers NOW!!!!

Having some withdrawal here, stay with me.

5. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Okay just woke up. Played for about two and a half hours last night. I really like the game so far. The boards are really sweet and of course kick ass graphics. I have not played campaign yet. A bonus for some people is the fact you get "Halo guest" split screen option this year. I do not know if they need a Gold XBL account or what. Having the ability to purchase attachments, and perk is cool also. I spent a lot of time in mW2 unlocking attachments just to get the ones I really wanted.

6. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

So rather work hard to achieve enhancements they allow anyone to make a day-1 purhase for upgrades?

7. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    You earn credits as you play that can be used to buy the suppresor, red dot etc.

8. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Ya it's not like you can play for a couple hours and buy the best stuff that you like, you still have to unlock these things, but then buy them after you unlock them

9. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Ok, it is official...I suck.

I think my K/D ration is like 0.2.

The maps seem really small to me after Battlefield Bad Company 2. I am a pretty good sniper on that game because of the open maps...I was hoping they would open up the maps some in Black Ops...I simply don't have the coordination to win. I had people run up on me while I was firing and stick me with the knife.

10. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    But I did get to level 4, so I can suck while I rock the TSO tag. Hopefully tomorrow I can get with Keller/Suge/etc and play, tonight I am simply too busy I think.

11. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

:p

I hated the game last night/this morning because the spawns seemed really broken... but I did some multiplayer this afternoon and it was great.

12. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I'm frustrated with it already. But I have a feeling once I get on a side that can actually communicate I'll get into it.

13. Keller

Yeah I looked for you a couple times Shaun (I was running with some other friends of mine,) and never saw you on anything but NCAA, lol. Anyway, I do think that you might like it more if you have a team and working together for objectives.

I have my good games and bad games, I'm probably between 1 and 1.2 k/d right now if I had to guess.

14. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

I'll join you in the I officially suck at this game club lol but Im still having fun playing. Like you I still prefer Battlefield Bad Company 2 because of the bigger maps and the vehicles but so far I like this game more then MW2. Only got a chance to play online for about an hour last night so will dive back into it again tonite.

15. Keller

Since no one else has taken the initiative, I'll go ahead and post my official thoughts for those who might be interested *cough* Randy *cough* Important note: I've only played multiplayer so if you're looking for zombies input or sp input you'll have to look elsewhere.

Essentially this is every CoD I've played, all over again, with a new coat of a paint and the slight change here or there. Granted I've only played CoD4, WaW and MW2 but nonetheless they are very similar experiences. I'm assuming that this is what most people have come to expect. Fundamentally the game hasn't changed. It's still fast paced, smaller level FPS mayhem or camping fest. Come to think of it, I think all FPS games boil down to mayhem or camping. Its just a matter of what you prefer doing at any given time. My suggestion to anyone reading? If you didn't like the other CoD's, don't waste your money/time here. If you did, you may find that the small changes are to your liking or your dismay, depending on your situation.

Lets start with the levels as I feel thats a big part of how these types of games are played. The level design, in my opinion, is the most in depth and varied that I have seen in the series. There are big levels, small levels and levels that fall somewhere in between. There are open levels, cqb levels, urban and natural environments, maps with vertical space as well as traditional space. I played essentially all last night after work and I still don't have even 1 level pinned down where I can tell you where everything is. You can tell that there was a great deal of thought and design put into the levels and sight lines and while I miss some of my old favorites I think I'll find some new ones very soon (Nuketown maybe.) Anyway, I start with the levels because as far as scale they don't really come close to the Battlefield series. The two games are really just two different ideas for a shooter. If you're into those very large maps you should probably stick with Battlefield. I have yet to find a good map to snipe on, things just move too quickly for me to find success going that route. I'm not saying it can't be done but in my experience most of your battles will take place at a range that is just ineffective for sniping. You're better off just getting out your M16.

I think you'll find the whole create a class system very much the same as it was before with a few tweaks. I read multiple times that what guns you wanted was based on the CoD points system and buying them but again that is not really true. The same system of unlocking guns at a certain level applies, the difference being now you have to actually purchase the guns. You have to purchase everything with the CoD points you earn really. Perks, different types of grenades, sidearms and, most annoyingly, attachments for every gun. What drove me nuts is that the suppressor and red dot sight I bought for my m16 didn't fit on the Enfield, a weapon in the same class. What!? Those attachments ain't cheap either. That's really my biggest beef with the guns in general. That, and I suck with just about everything besides the m16. Nothing can match its power, accuracy and effectiveness at most ranges (besides really close.) For those of you that are struggling, try finding a gun that fits how you like to play and stick with it. I literally am GARBAGE without the m16. Anyway, as far as guns there aren't really many surprises. Oh, except for the flamethrower attachment. Apparently you can now attach a flamethrower to your m16 (or other assault class weapons.) Yeah, I know, weird right? I haven't tried it yet but hell it sounds like fun to me, ha. Shotguns are back to being a main weapon, there are a lot of different weapon choices with different pluses and minus and there has been a fundamental change with the scavenger perk that finally takes down the the noob tube a notch. Remember how you could use scavenger and run around with the noob tube and keep resupplying off dead bodies? No longer and thank the gods for that. (Unless scavenger pro allows you to do it, which would suck, but I don't know for sure as I don't have scavenger pro yet.) The one man army perk where you can switch classes is now gone too so people can no longer infinite noob tube camp either, which is nice.

Obviously the customization aspect is a large improvement but how long can that really keep you entertained? Yes I can customize my playercard with symbols and different colors of symbols and change the background but the value of that will be really small. The piece of it that I like the most is being able to put your clan tag on your gun, I thought that was pretty cool. The biggest part of customization that changes the game is Perk 1. Perk 1 determines what your player actually looks like. If you use Scavenger your guy has a Boonie. If you use Ghost he has a Ghillie etc etc. So you can tell how people are playing just by looking at them AND it differentiates the way people look so I thought that was pretty cool. For example if you see a guy wearing ballistic gear you might want to think twice about throwing that grenade as he takes far less damage from explosives.

Killstreaks. Killstreaks have been tweaked and in the end it will lead to a better experience. The damn RC-XD explosive remote car is annoying and overused (its a killstreak of 3 or 2 if you use hardline,) and it is very powerful. Its difficult to get away from and has quite a large kill radius. However, the most important change with killstreaks is that they no longer count towards your killstreak. You get a napalm strike? Great. It kills 10 people? Even better. You'll still need another 6 kills with your gun or grenades or whatever in order to get a streak of 11 to get the best stuff. No more nukes either, very nice. The gunship is INSANELY fun - definitely give that a shot if you can. Also, I've seen care packages drop stuff that you can't even get from killsteaks. The obvious example is ammo BUT I've also seen someone running around with a minigun that they called "death machine." I can't wait to see that damn thing, haha. Overall, they are a lot of fun and a couple of the new ones should make for some interesting changes.

Contracts. I actually like this idea quite a bit. Essentially what these are, are little objectives within games that you can complete in order to get extra CoD points. The catch is that you pay for the contract up front and you have a limited amount of time to complete the mini objective. The ones I've taken so far are very cheap with about a 4:1 or 5:1 payout and are generally something like "kill 25 people with an assault weapon in 40 minutes of alive in game time." I did a more expensive one where I had to win 4 matches of domination in an hour as well. Its a cool little risk reward challenge system that I think adds another level to the game. You can have up to 3 contracts active at any given time and it can sort of force you to play in a different way and it breaks up the monotony at times when I check my contracts and I see that I have to get 2 knife kills in the next 10 minutes in order to complete my contract. Very welcome addition in my opinion.

I don't really know what else to comment on. I haven't really seen any glitches, connections in games seems to have been good, no guns seem to be overpowered or anything like that and as far has having fun I'd have to give the game a 10/10. I could hardly put the game down last night when I was playing with all my friends and while it surely has some drawbacks as well as drawbacks that I probably haven't even discovered I think that this is definitively the best CoD to date.

16. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

@Keller - Excellent write-up. As a fan of larger maps, I think I will stick with BFBC2 and await the much anticipated Vietnam DLC. I have really grown into enjoying MoH, which is similar to the CoD series with its smaller maps and faster gameplay. So for now I think I will pass on this. With the amount of games I currently am playing, including 2 FPSs, I don't feel as inclined to pick this up.

Appreciate the review.

17. Keller

Yeah I thought you might go that route, understood. Too bad you don't play Bad Company on PC else we could do some damage on there.

18. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Very cool Keller thanks for the review!

I have fun with these games for a few months but lose interest quick when I realize how bad I suck. I will probably pick this up in the next couple of weeks though.

19. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

@Keller....I think you really nailed it. I look at the COD franchise the same as the Madden, NCAA, Fifa etc. franchises. They aren't going to reinvent the wheel every year. They are going to give you new maps (updated rosters) and a couple of tweaks here and there (ultimate team, online franchise to name a few) but the core of the game will stay the same. Some people may not enjoy that but I enjoy a new game with new graphics. If it isn't worth 60 bucks to you then dont buy it. Overall though, I think the team is Activision does just enough to keep it feeling fresh year in and year out.

One thing I would love to see is some kind of mode similar to be a pro mode. You join a clan, can battle other clans, and it will keep track of clan victories and kills for the clan and stuff like that. If they include that next year, I believe that would put that COD over all others. Call it "Be an Army Mode" That would be solid.

20. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

I'm such a douche, I couldn't help myself. Unfortunately, my dry cleaners in next door to a GameStop and today I had to drop off my clothes. I think we all know what happened next.

I just couldn't help to think of leaving clan TSO without another dedicated soldier.

Tonight I have a TFL match and then I should be on. Friday night will be the night I can go deep, like 4 hours straight. So let's set this up now for a Friday night with the clan.

21. Keller

And the crowd goes wild *ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh*

Noice! Friday night, naturally, I will be consumed by it.

Tonight, I have a league game to play after work around 4:15pm EST and I will be on pretty much the entire night afterwards until 11 or so.

Glad you picked this up Randy.

22. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

Customizations
    -Playercard - you get to choose the background and choose from a lot of stuff that goes on top
    -War Paint - you can buy some face paint!
    -More Camos
    -More attachments
    -You can choose the color of your scope lens, the shape of the reticule, and the color of the reticule.
    -You can add your clan tag and emblem to your gun.

CoD Points
    -This is the currency used to buy everything. You need it to buy guns when you've unlocked them, attachments, and customizations. At first, this seems like a lot of extra work, but CoD Points are fairly easy to come by and they're quicker to accumulate than killing X people to get the attachment you want.

Perks
    -All of the perks are available from level 1, you unlock the perks you want with CoD Points. Each Pro Perk requires you to complete 3 Challenges.

Maps
    -They aren't nearly as linear as MW2, there's a lot of ways and places to move around, which is a huge improvement. There aren't as many crazy camping spots, so you don't see nearly as many campers. The maps are decently sized (aside from Nuketown, which is small). There's a lot of places to go, but you don't really run around the map praying that you'll find someone after what seems like half the game.

Gameplay
    -The biggest thing here is that stopping power was removed. This opens a host of other perks which opens up a lot of different choices on how you choose to play. The gun damage is much lower than it was in MW2 and slightly lower than CoD4. Basically, this increases the emphasis on gun skill and reduces the camping a bit. Recoil has also been increased, which makes it so you can't pick people from across the map as easily. The handguns are good, so you're not screwed if you need to swap to it or you need to kill someone at close range and you're a sniper. Sniping in the CoD series is a lot different than that of the BF series. To snipe well, you need to know the maps really well and you need to move around a bit. There's definitely some potential for it to be very good, though. So far I haven't seen any dominant guns. There's a lot that I like to use, and I see a lot of different ones on the ground so don't expect to see it be an M16 or MP5 fest like CoD4 was. In general it's pretty comparable to the other recent CoDs. If the camping/super high damage is what turned you off from MW2, you'll probably like it a lot.

Overall I'd say it's really good... you really need to buy it if you liked CoD 4.

23. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Things that irritate me about this game...
    1. My Playercard - its bullshit that I cannot edit this or even add a clantag without reaching a certain level
    2. Find Match - why am I only allowed to play core and not Barebones or Hardcore without, again, reaching a certain level
    3. Game speed - everything seems way too fast, its unrealistic
    4. Diving in/out of window - something I am not used to, again seems unrealistic that anyone can jump through any window
    5. Melee - people running around just knifing people at amazing speeds is very unrealistic
    6. RC car - need I say more?
    There are others, but I think I am just set in my ways and prefer the realism in BFBC2 and the latest installment of MoH. I know, I know, I should have known after all the write-ups that this is just another unrealistic CoD game for the twitch shooter.

However, I am not done yet. I am going to give it a few more hours. Actually sitting down now to put a few more hours in.

24. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

Couldnt have said it better myself. I actually popped BFBC2 back in last night and was playing for the 1st time in months. I need to find some guys to play Onslaught with

• Like Like x 1
  25. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

For change of pace, you should give MoH a try. It blends the realism of BFBC2 into a game with smaller maps like that of CoD.