In 2012 what Positon is most important for your team?

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by jms493, Mar 8, 2012.

1. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

What do you guys think is the most important position for this years game. What position do you think it is important to have a high rated player(s) in year and year out?

My quick analysis.

OFFENSE

QB - This position doesn't seem that important, as long as the guy is in the 80s or more with THP and THA he can be serviceable. The X factor is if you have a guy with wheels....that can really piss people off.

FB - Not really.

HB - I love the position as I like to run and control the clock but in user games even the best guys can get shut down. I have had some of the best HBs in the game this year and while great against the CPU they can render useless in user games.

WR - Semi important...it is nice to have a nice speedy tall receiver but almost every WR catches 90%+ of the balls and even 99 route running gets jumped by mutant corners.

TE - They can be a match up nightmare against some teams. I find this to be a fairly important position. 3rd down to the TE is a nice option have.

OLINE - IMO these guys are the most important. They make running backs better and allow for 1-2 more seconds in the pocket. They are not without flaws though....just watch some replays in slow motion.....it will make you say WTF? I never want to have a weak O Lineman.

DEFENSE

DLINE - I don't know about this position sometimes. Occasionally I think they are important and a lot of times my 90+ D tackles are on their ass as the HB goes flying by. Defensive ends are not as dominant as last year, the tackles seems to wreck more havoc IMO.

Linebackers - I think a lot of people will say that this is their most important position as on defense many people manually control these guys ( Hellisan with Bard Daugherty). These kids also knock a shit ton of balls down that appear to be going over their head if awareness is high enough. I also notice players getting a high number sacks with LBs. I don't think that was the case last year.

CBs - As long as they are not really slow they can do the job. It is nice to have monsters at the corners but they still get burnt and refuse to jump for balls at times....maddening.

Safeties - I feel like these guys are non existent in the passing game unless the offense is frequently throwing deep. They can be semi effective on run defense. Players like Mogriffjr like to control these kids so I am sure he is always looking for high rated players at these positions.

Kickers - Yes you need to have a good one but this year they are a dime a dozen.

What do you think?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

OFFENSE

QB - I really feel it's very important - I will list this as the third most important position.... Especially to have a QB that suits your style. People that don't run with the QB shouldn't have a running QB. He sort of goes to waste. On the other hand, if you have a guy with a 95/95 type of arm, that can be very useful. These guys will sometimes put the ball on the money so the receiver doesn't have to break stride or sometimes even speeds up as he catches the ball.

FB - Not really. (agreed.... I have had very good ones and it's just very hard to work them into the offense unless you're running one of the bones...). PS, we need to stop making 6'4+ TE's into FB's that's not realistic. :)

HB - I have found power guys to be more helpful in this year's game. You aren't going to get a lot of big creases against users, so a guy that can plow through for 4-5 yards or occaisonally break a few tackles on a run is a huge deal. The speedy guys are nice to have too but are more likely to get totally shut down.

WR - A tall, fast WR is a huge plus. Tony Cain last year for me was an animal. Franco Pearson, a 6'5" 85 OVR Freshman with 96 speed/ACC is going to be tough to contain. Slow WR's just seem to be completely useless, no matter how good their other ratings are.

TE - Hugely important if you have a good one. If not a good receiving TE, a blocking TE is a must.

OLINE - It's tough to say... At times they seem useful, at times not so much. This year is going to be very telling, I have my best line in a long time and if they make things go smoothly I might be converted. For now I'll say 4th most important position.

DEFENSE

DLINE - I am going to list this as the second most important position. They can get consistent pressure both from the interior and on the ends and that really screws with an offense

Linebackers - Important but not one of the top ones, all of them overperform in coverage in my opinion, making it less important to have a good one.

CBs - Number one most important position... In the games I've played against Hotrod, there is simply nothing open and he has consistently had some of the best corners. It has worked for me too, as a guy like Dale Jefferson just shut down his side completely against Oregon State and other user teams.

Safeties - You just want to have good athletes back there that aren't targets for the deep ball.

Kickers - Yes you need to have a good one but this year they are a dime a dozen.

What do you think?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I feel like there will be different answers for everyone as each individual approaches the game differently which why this topic is interesting to me.

4. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    I disagree about the slow wrs being useless. I've rarely had wrs over 89-90 spd and am able to perform very well with them. It's all about putting them in routes where route running is important as opposed to drags and streaks where a faster CB can neutralize that.

5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I think a 90 speed is fine. An 84 speed hasn't worked for me, however. I draw the line at about 88.

6. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    I had a guy who was 86 speed and he probably was my most productive WR of any that I had.

7. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

hmmmm..interesting.

QB - I can't throw much anyway, so this position isn't a big deal for the most part. Like JMS said, as long as they're servicable and can make a few throws that's fine. Ideally, when I'm at my best I'm only throwing a dozen times anyway. If I've thrown 30 passes I'm probably getting pummled.

RB - Most important position in the game. I'm partial to bruisers with decent wheels. I find most of my rushing yards come after contact. I have a perfect one this year in Reed.

FB - Whatever

WR - see qb's...I don't need anything special here either. good hands, c.i.t. and routes are most important.

TE - There is nothing better than having a big fast TE with good hands. I've had some TE's that I just killed with. Ideally I'm looking for the receiver v. the blocker since I prefer to run between the tackles. But one that has decent run blocking is good.

OL - Yeah......gotta have this...I do not unfortunately...I like balanced linemen. If you have good overall linemen I don't think it really matters if they are run or pass block oriented, they are going to be good anyway.

DL - is extremely important. My first few years I had a fantastic d line and it really opened up my defense to play a shit ton of man coverage (see what I did there?) ;) A good d line opens it all up. I feel this position is about the same as the o line. Just get good overall d linemen and I'll be fine there.

LB- This one is a little trickier I think. I think you can survive with a few marginal backers, but you need a play maker in there. I prefer to have a pass rusher outside, a run stopper outside and a good coverage lb in the middle. I prefer speed over size. (that's what she said)

CB - Right up there with RB. If you don't have corners you can kiss your ass bubbye. Great corners combined with a good pash rush in this game is lethal.

S - I love hitters. I don't think safeties are overly important in this game but I think they are important. I prefer a hitter over a coverage guy.

K - yeah any good one will suffice. Goes for punters too.

• Like Like x 1
  8. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

qb- #1 spot for me. Has to be a scrambler

hb- fast, agile guy. #3 for me

fb- balanced. in the few sets i use one in nice to know he can catch or run

wr- catching is a must. speed is a plus. I don't really stretch the field vertically if i don't have to. I like to dink and dunk

te- go for best i can get.

ol- #2 spot for me. this is the first season for quite some time where I have a good line. the offense was very hit or miss with a shitty line

dl- with this game, I look for run stopping lineman. with the horrible blocking against DTs even the slowest/worst pass rushing DT can lead the league in sacks.

lb- most important defensive spot for me. i look for speed and agility. height is a plus.

cb- look for coverage guys.

s- i love fast hard hitting SS's. FS I look for a speed and good zone coverage. probably the #2 spot on defense for me

k/p- kick power. acc means nothing in this game.

9. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

OFFENSE

QB - Very important for 3rd downs. Accuracy is less important than power in my opinion. Scrambling QBs can be deadly... Im looking forward to using Maurice Wright as a scrambler.

FB - Not that important. Having a crappy FB can be irritating though, as the big lugs will sometimes just stop and look around.

HB - Lifeblood of the team. You can usually tell the difference between the user that won and the user that lost by looking at how many carries their starter got.

WR - Speed guys work for the go route and a couple of other routes, but the possession guys are my favorite in the short/intermediate range. Acceleration is the most important stat for any position save QB/PK

TE - I feel like I under-use my TEs. I always say I need to work them into the offense, but never really do. Like Helli said though, make sure they are really good at one thing at least. A TE that is mediocre at both blocking/receiving doesnt do you much good.

OLINE - Extremely important IMO. I pretty much just go by the OL OVR vs the opponents DL OVR. If you have a better OL than they have a DL, you should be able to move the ball.

DEFENSE

DLINE - See OL section above. I like to have two strong guys in the middle to eat up blockers for fast guys on the edge. Of course, if you can get a DT with high acceleration you are cooking with gas. Accel=beast.

Linebackers - Not as important. I user the MLB almost exclusively. Block shedding and acceleration are important, but the way the game works really helps them play above their rating. agree w smalls about agility. got to have agility or you will get owned in space

CBs - Very important and not difficult to find. Stockpile and redshirt IMO. I like to convert some S to Corner to get a physical guy on the edges. If you have a good cover corner who can ragdoll WRs in the run game, it can really help your run D.

Safeties - speed/agility/acceleration. size is a plus, but these guys are there to stop the deep ball first and foremost in this version.

Kickers/Punters - So very important. If you can nail a long FG or blast a big punt, it can really help your team. Skill in the punting game is very important this year. I feel like if you can blast punts and hit long field goals it will do wonders for you in the "momentum" department.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Maybe I'll give my 84 speed slot guy that has 99 in rte/spc/cit but had ZERO touchdowns last year another shot. But maybe not... I have a 90 speed guy with 99 route running that's only a sophomore. It just seems if they're THAT SLOW it takes them way too long to even run a 7-yard out.

11. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Well I wouldn't put slow guys in the slot. That guy wa always am outside WR for me.

12. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

Da Coach
    [​IMG]

13. mboda

mboda Walk On

Offense

QB - Somewhat important. It seems like every QB is sporadic at times even 99 ovr guys. If hes over 80+ overall with good power and accuracy you should be alright. I had a 79 ovr true freshman last year and he played better than any other QB ive had at Oregon State.

HB - Most important. In user games your going to have to run the ball effectively to win IMO. I like a quick speedy back myself. I haven't been able to snag a top HB recruit yet but i got some speedy backs.

FB - Not Important.

WR - Somewhat important. Its nice to have a speed guy to stretch the field. Also nice to have a tall WR for fades and jumpballs. Also need high catch and catch in traffic.

TE - Pretty important, I like to have a big TE with good speed, haven't been able to get one until this last year. Ive been stuck with 6'2" tight ends so far. So having a tall one should help me out.

OL - Probably right behind HB for importance. A bad o-line can hurt you, which showed in the Rose Bowl against Hellisan where his d-line ate up my o-line all game long. If you have all 5 90+ overall guys you should be alright.

Defense

DL - Very important. A great D-line can shut down a run game and slow down the passing game.

LB - Probably the most important on defense for me. I need a good, fast MLB to use. High speed and tackling is a must here, size is great if you can get it.

CB - Not as important to me. If you have a couple guys with good speed around 90 overall you should be alright.

S - Kinda important. Need some speed guys with size so you don't get beat on the deepball all day.

K/P Not important, just need high kick power.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Hmm that runs counter to my thinking but I might try it.

15. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    The outside wrs have nore diverse routes compared to slot. Slot man is an out, in streak, post. With the slower guys I run more curls, comebacks, corners, along with outs and ins depending on the formation. They get the separation on those routes because of their route running ratings and if they have good hands will hold onto the ball more often.

16. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Basically I am comfortable with a slower guy if his route running, catch in traffic, and catch ratings are high. They can be your best friend at times.

• Like Like x 1
  17. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    And I must say that I probably run streaks less than anyone in the league.

18. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

It's is a general thing to find your smaller, faster wr's in the slot. There are situations where this is an exception, big 3rd down etc. But a lot of the reasons why a slower wr can be productive irl don't translate to the game

19. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

We are not talking about your boxers Hot Rod!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Twister18

I look at catching and carry rating first. Speed doesn't help if the ball hits off their helmet.

21. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

I'm talking real life. As far as the game goes...if you have a slow guy in the slot your toast. 90% of the routes the slot guys run in this game are quick routes. Even on verts...you have to have a guy that can get up the seam quick. If they are slow they get ZERO separation. In football slot guys are big YAC guys. Get it to them quick and let them do the rest.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  22. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I seem to be of different opinion here...

QB- Very important...it's due to the offense I run...I barely survive with a guy with 89 THA...so below that and it becomes a problem on most routes that he can't hit guys in stride and things like that. Last year I was happy with my FR-QB with 91 THA and now it's 96 THA...that and the throw power...the throw power a QB can lead the WR more up the field on their routes it seems a lot so those streaks, those posts and corner routes are more effective because they can be led more upfield.

RB- Semi importantly but with the uber defensive linemen it seems they can be neutralized especially when trying to get to the edge and they can morph to tackle you before you get there.

FB- Meh nothing much of note.

WR- A big tall WR is likely more to break press coverage no matter the rating it seems...they are pretty effective. Tall and fast is a deadly combo, I can attest with Dustin Herron being the best WR I've ever had. Speedy WR's can be shut down by the big time CB's but most the time they can break free. The good possession WR's do get open it seems more due to route running and things like that though I've seen.

TE- Love a TE who can work the middle of the field, they are the equalizer in the passing game.

OLINE- Huge! If you can't protect your QB be the guys who press down with their DT's every play, then you won't have success period. The big time guys can give u that extra second or two to get open or to break that run.

DLINE- DT's are insanely important as again you can press down and are in the backfield in an instant. They blow up most of the plays but to me, the DE's aren't as important...and IMO they need to kinda even it out...DE's need to set the edge more sometimes or try to rush around more...and make the DT's not as effective.

LB- Due to the scale of the game, they are big time important especially if you get one of those uber 6'7" dudes, that almost equates to a 7'5" in the game!

CB- In regards to shutting down the passing game, getting a good one is big time huge. They can free up the defense to do all kinds of other defenses.

S- Meh it depends, the better ones seem to break on the ball a bit better and they are effective coming up on the run.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

QB- Don't really have a good opinion here. I had Andrew Luck for two years and wasnt able to do shit. On the flip side some of my best seasons have been with QB's who have THP and THA in the mid 80's. Semi Important

HB- I have had awesome HB's in every dynasty I have been in, however they are only as good as the line in front of them.

FB- They're alright

WR- I like taller receivers. I have found success with pretty much every type of receiver though.

TE- One of my favorite positions. A great TE can completely add another dimension to you running and passing game. Very Important

OLine- I have had good O lines that still played like shit. With that being said, I still recruit the hell out of them every year.

DLine- Up until getting this UGA team I never have had a awesome DLine. Very sick to see what 4 90 ovr's can do.

LB- Most important position in the game for me. If you give me 3 Lb's with 83+ speed I'm hard to beat. I can shut down the run and defend the pass with some great LB's

CB- Even the great ones get burned. Dime a dozen this year.

S- I never user them. Having a good one is huge though especially if your playing a guy who runs outside a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Twister18

QB: Much like Gravityyyy I have yet to figure out what to look for in a QB. I recruited 2 QBs, Josh Brady and Josh Curtis. I RSed Curtis for one season and played Brady the rest of the time. Brady threw much like Landry Jones of the last 2 games did. One throw would be on the $$, the other would b in the opposing EZ. I started Curtis after Brady graduated and had 21 tds and 8 ints and close to 3000 yards. His THA and THP was both lower than Bradys but for some reason, I could use him better.

HB: Most important position in the game as running the ball is my bread and butter. I had good luck rotating my power backs and speed backs in with good success last year.

FB: I like to have a good all around FB to catch out of the backfield and tear up the MLB on a ISO play.

WR: Tall WR with jumping ability are great. BUT I would rather have a sure handed guy to convert third downs so I look for carrying and catching first.

TE: BIG, tall and matchup problems. Catching ability is a bonus.

OL: My main struggle the past 3 seasons but I now have a good basis for a solid line. Strength is the key, as HotRod once said so I want some brawlers to slug it out in the trenches.

DL: I like to have a good DL but doesn't have to be great as long as they shield the LBs to make their tackles.

LB: Most important Defensive position: have struggled getting the impact LBs as they all want to go to Ole Miss or PSU but have developed some solid LBs in my time. Agility and block shed is premium here.

CB: Cover corners to blanket the receivers (yeah right) and i have some good ones this season.

S: Awareness and Play recognition are a huge bonus for these guys. I like to have 3 top notch FS or SS to play in Big Nickel formations sometimes.

P/k: Power baby!!

• Like Like x 1