In season Draft Pick trading.

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Jeremy, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

In season Draft Pick trading.

Heres my thoughts.

I say we allow teams to trade their 1st round draft picks at anytime during the season before trade deadline.

This will open up another huge avenue of realism and still protect teams for a new owner coming in and not having his team raped of all draft picks.

With our new slotting system for draft pick salaries our trade committee has a guide when reviewing trades involving draft picks.

I would have ZERO problem taking over a team with no first round pick, if I have a 90+ veteran player on my roster in return.

Thoughts?

2. Big D

Big D Walk On

If we do this then draft picks count toward your '10' item limit during the year. Other than that I have no problem.

3. wajomatik

wajomatik Magister De Puer De Vacca

I have no problem with it I think it adds to the realism

4. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

This is why I am against that - PLAYERS QUITTING AND MOVING TEAMS. There is NOTHING that hurts worse to recruit for a bad team than the new owner finding out that not only do they have no talent, but their #1 pick is also traded away. There is way too much movement. I say if you allow a owner to trade their #1 pick then they are NEVER allowed to swap teams for that version. That's the only way I'll agree to this. It happens way too often where a guy takes a bad team just to get in the league, trades away their first rounder for ok talent, a better team opens up and they swap, new guy comes in and finds out his #1 pick was traded for a starting DT and now he can't win with what he has and can't improve his team in the draft.

5. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

I am very against this. I joined a league one time and took over a team with the worst record. They had made a trade for their first and second round picks. The team ended with the worst record and I lost the top pick in 2 rounds. This is a bad idea IMO.

6. Big D

Big D Walk On

Nate, I noticed in your post that you said you can only use a maximum of 4 'points' per trade. So this means sending two players and getting back three (5 points) wouldn't be allowed?

7. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

I personally don't like in season draft pick trading. I think we should limit it to offseason only. For example, during the draft players trade for current picks and future picks. You also see after the season during Restricted and non restricted FA players being traded for picks.

8. natedawg212000

Dunlap, lets move that to the trade thread so this doesn't get all confused and mixed.

9. Jeremy

We have a checks and balances system that protects this, our trade committee.

We are allowing teams to trade Peyton freaking Manning for the proper compensation but we wont allow a team to trade a 1st round draft pick?

10. natedawg212000

correct, because peyton will demand proper value but proper value on a 1st round pick is in the eye of the beholder. I, just last year, had horrible offers for my 1st rounders. Things like a low 2nd and a 3rd. A starting DT, say 85 ov, is in some eyes a great value, if not more for a 1st rounder, but to the guy who took over a 1-16 team that 1st overall carries way more value than a starting DT.

Thats just my 2 cents. It's, again, why we have a committee.

11. Bluebean

Bluebean Kansas City Chiefs

It wouldn't bother me either way. I like the idea of making moves with draft picks just before the draft and free agency period only though.

12. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

My only point is that if we lose owners and have to replace them, it will be a lot more difficult to fill those teams if they do not have a 1st round pick. This is a video game league and free agency and the draft is half of the fun IMO. Taking away a first round pick is taking away alot of fun for a new owner. Also, I think owners on the way out will make these types of trades alot as a last ditch effort to win. I like having it only in the offseason when you know the owner that traded the pick knows ahead of time no first rounder. I am not on the rules committee so this is just my opinion. I see this hurting the league alot though.

13. Jeremy

Everyone is assuming these picks will be traded for garbage in return. Thats where the Trade Committee comes in and cant let that happen.

We would hear more gripes from new owners taking over a team with Curtis Painter as QB after trading away Peyton Manning. And yes, this happened last year.

14. Jeremy

Where do we stand on this?

15. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Do you guys mind if I make a suggestion here? Sort of a compromise if you will.

If a team trades JUST draft picks (no players involved), then those draft picks do not count as "points" toward the 10 point limit. It also does not count as a trade for the maximum 4 trades.

You then allow trading of draft picks during the season. NO trades of draft picks for players can occur DURING the season. The trade committee still okays all trades, so there is no chance of, borrowing from real life, the Saints trading their entire draft for one pick (remember Ricky Williams, anyone? lol).

This allows teams who see they are possibly out of contention by week 6 to start thinking about stockpiling draft picks (if they so choose) by trading their higher draft picks for more, lower tier picks, while still keeping the "feel" of realism.

However, and I want to stress this, this suggestion should take place AFTER the first season of Madden 11. We have enough "new" stuff that owners need to look at right now. I think any adding of more rules right now will push you guys on the board to the limit, since there is a ton of new stuff to look at.

Like I said, it's an idea that would satisfy both sides a bit. Or maybe neither side. LOL

16. Jeremy

Thats a nice compromise Winuvas.

I think alot of our owners are under the impresssion we are allowing Draft pick tradin in season. I see alot of people posting they are interested in picks.

Anyways, lets see if we can get more input here.