In the interest of being completely transparent...

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Oct 8, 2009
    Okay, I was asked by someone to watch the last quarter and a half of Gaddy and Dunlap's game, broadcast by Dunlap. Apparently the person in question felt that Dunlap's tactics were....less than I went in and took a look.

I want to emphasize that I only watched the last bit of the third quarter and most of the fourth quarter. So if he did anything outside of this time, I did not see it.

What I saw on the last drive of the game was nothing but called stretch plays and counters off the line. Dunlap would then audible sometimes to an inside run, or cut the stretch play inside. He threw rarely, but was running it well, so stick with what works. I didn't see much on offense I would call "cheesy", other than playcalling mixup. He was using different formations, however.

On defense, though.....TOTALLY different story.

The plays I saw him run on defense, he would playmaker at least 2-3 players every snap. By playmaker, I mean hit X button on a player, change his route to man coverage on a player, and cycle through. He also appeared to call the same play, or similar style plays, in different formations. It seemed to be a man blitz setup, with playmaker changes to make it different.

Now, call me kooky, but wouldn't playmaker calls fall under the same type of thing as hot routes for offense? We limit those, right?

The best part came when I was asking him about this strategy. Here is word for word what the conversation was. Sorry if it's hard to follow, I had to dig into history to get everything:

Session Start (WinuvasChiefs:sterlingcoug): Wed Nov 17 18:20:17 2010 -0600
    Winuvas: Question: Do you do those playmaker assignments like that every game?
    sterlingcoug: which part?
    Winuvas: Adjustments for man coverage and the like
    sterlingcoug: the defensive assignements?
    Winuvas: Yeah
    sterlingcoug: depends on which team i'm playing. i wanted to make sure mathis was on welker so i did
    Winuvas: What about at the line of scrimmage?
    Winuvas: Seemed like you changed about 2-3 players' assignments a few times
    sterlingcoug: only if the opponent is doing formation subs.
    sterlingcoug: if they do that then i'll hot route accordingly
    sterlingcoug: gaddy was gonzo with the formation subs and manual subs so when i saw hernandez or price in i did yes
    Winuvas: So how do you know they are doing formation subs?
    sterlingcoug: Because Price is #6 on depth chart and hernandez was #3 on depth chart
    sterlingcoug: when they are in the game, it has to be formation subs
    Winuvas: So those adjustments are not normal then
    sterlingcoug: depends. some guys use formation subs all the time.
    sterlingcoug: id say about 50% of the league
    sterlingcoug: i dont...but gaddy does, i know vishal does too
    sterlingcoug: nothing wrong with it
    sterlingcoug: but the defensive assigment thing is glitchy so it screws everything up when formation subs happen so you have to adjust
    Winuvas: Ah
    sterlingcoug: otherwise the Z or X will be completely uncovered
    Winuvas: Just seemed like you did a lot of adjustments.
    Winuvas: GG
    Winuvas: I only caught the last quarter and a half
    sterlingcoug: it was epic
    Winuvas: GL against Vishal.
    sterlingcoug: thank you
    Session Close (sterlingcoug): Wed Nov 17 18:26:24 2010 -0600

Session Start (WinuvasChiefs:sterlingcoug): Wed Nov 17 18:26:56 2010 -0600
    sterlingcoug: btw, just in my defense i never did any offesive audibles. gaddy did them every play. i dont have an issue with it, but it is what it is
    sterlingcoug: sounds like i am being accused of something here
    Winuvas: I'm not accusing anyone of anything. Just was making an observation. That's all.
    Winuvas: :)
    sterlingcoug: lol ok man
    sterlingcoug: caught me off guard a little bit
    Winuvas: I just wanted to let you know what I saw. That's it.
    Winuvas: :)
    sterlingcoug: haha. yah. do you use defensive assigments?
    Winuvas: No
    sterlingcoug: you should
    sterlingcoug: atleast against teams where speed matchups become an issue
    sterlingcoug: or agaist big play receivers
    Winuvas: I like to rely on playcalling
    Winuvas: It gets me by most of the time
    sterlingcoug: i rely heavily on playcalling too, but if they line up Brandon Marshall in the slot against my LB its all over
    sterlingcoug: lol
    Winuvas: Ya'll are playing soon right?
    sterlingcoug: right now i believe!
    sterlingcoug: you guna watch?
    Winuvas: GL man. Nah
    Winuvas: Gonna work on getting cap books ready
    Winuvas: Someone has to do work while you guys play around
    Winuvas: ;)
    sterlingcoug: aight
    sterlingcoug: lol

Notice how he got really defensive after I asked him a few questions about it. I wasn't being accusatory at all. Just making observations and trying to be nice about those observations. If I was in the wrong here, please let me know. If I was off base on my observations, let me know. Those of you that watched more than me, let me know.

I am not trying to start anything new here. Or maybe I am. I am tired of drama, and this post I know isn't helping anyone. Please let me know, those that watched more than I did, if you saw what I saw, or if I'm off base. If I'm off base, fine, and I'm cool with that, and I fully admit I didn't watch much.
  2. DJDunn6

DJDunn6 Walk On

Feb 19, 2010
    I saw this also in my divisional game with him. His O is tough and solid play calling, but I could not really put a finger on what he was doing on D and now it hit me. It could be because I never hot route or audible on D at all unless someone is in 2 minute and that is only an audible. I personally think it is a bit of cheese to playmaker on D and to do it more then once on a series. Not really sure how to address it though to be honest.
  3. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

Oct 8, 2009
    Absolute cheesefest last nite. I dont care if we specifically have it in the rules or not, Dunalps play last nite was UNSIM period. This is the reason his defense has been so dominant this year. Pick a play and run it. Quit with the damn 4-5-6 audibles every play. That is EA lobby crap not OMFL or TF football.
  4. BadaBing319

BadaBing319 OMFL Broncos / PMFL Eagles

Jul 16, 2010
    We need a rule to limit hot routes / audibles on both sides of the ball.
  5. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Oct 8, 2009
    We never put specifics in, but I know we asked to limit automotion/hot routes on offense. Never stated a specific number though.
  6. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Oct 8, 2009
    To those that are reading this, please let me know if I was out of line in my comments to Dunlap about his play. I don't feel that I was, but I want honest feedback on my actions in this as well.
  7. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Feb 11, 2009
    I didnt see it so I cant comment. I have no problem with hot routes on either side of the ball. To me if you do one or two fine. I hot route blockers all the time last season so that I could try and block the blitz i know was coming over and over again in most the games I played.

I have heard nothing good about this guys game however, it seems he runs alot of the same stuff over and over again and has mastered the Madden beater type plays...great.