Independent or in a conference

Discussion in 'After Midnight' started by Dru50, Jun 23, 2011.

?

Independent or in a conference

1. Leave em independent

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Make them fight it out in a conference

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I really want to get everyone's honest opinion on this topic, since there seems to be some strong feelings on it.

Notre Dame is a user team already, and there is a slight chance BYU could be one as well. Please vote regarding whether you think they should be moved into the Big 10/Pac 12 respectively or left as independent, and I'd appreciate a post regarding your reasons for voting that way.

Here are my thoughts:
    Leaving them as independent presents an advantage in recruiting (for ND) in that their schedule is littered with rivalry games. If they aren't in a conference, even with adding in user games, ND will have more rivalry games than anyone else in the league. The downside of being independent is the lack of being able to compete for a conference title, and the related BCS bid (not much of an issue for ND with their exception). Plus, having them in a conference makes scheduling way easier. Also, leaving them independent makes one half of each conference an easier path than the other, which isn't great for competitive balance.

I'm not a purist, and both these conferences are new this year anyway with all the changes to the FBS landscape, so I really don't see a problem with them moving into the conferences.

@Colemanchu
    @Cheez

I know your opinions, but feel free to expound if you like.

@recchem2000
    @gowazzucougs
    @Danthraxxx
    @bucsfan047
    @JFace907
    @cfoley33102
    @whygodwhy1111
    @sibellius
    @Jayrah

2. sibellius

sibellius Too legit to quit

I vote conference for pretty much all the reasons you mentioned.

3. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

Dru, I can actually see ND as independent being a benefit scheduling wise, given the amount of flexibility you would have in generating user games for them. Not to mention it would be easier to schedule them against some of the schools who may pose a threat to knocking a second team from the Big Ten / Pac 12 out of the BCS picute.

Other than that, I have talked at length about why I dont see that as realistic - particularly in XBL chats with dru. So he really knows my thoughts and feelings on that - therefore I am leaving them out here. If anyone wishes to inquire, feel free to pm me.

4. Bucs

Bucs GT: ThruTheSmoke47

Being the ND user, im completly fine with either indy or a part of a conference as i said either way. ill abstain and go with whatever you guys decide.. I would love to battle it out in a conference but i wouldnt mind being indy and having my schedule loaded up with some tough games. Not an ND fan so i dont really care about rivalry games.

5. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

Here is my take: ND is loaded with rivalry games, but several of those rivalry games are user games. If Dru stays at USC, ND's will have yearly match ups with Stanford, Michigan, USC, that is three user games, and I am assuming he would get a fourth user game. Where it might be difficult is if he can't get a scheduled fifth user game. For it creating an easier path to winning a division, personally I don't think it is that simple. Unlike years past we can designate protected non division rivalry games. I think that would ensure that the other five people would play each year.

For BYU, this is a personal choice. Replacing BYU with Colorado makes the south division tougher immediately. I don't believe BYU has the national pull like ND, but there is a strong tradition with the school. If Dru switched to BYU the whole conference becomes more even competively.

6. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Im really on the fence with this as I don't care one way or the other. Whatever makes Dru's life easier and makes the league better and the users of those programs happier is fine with me. That being said, putting them in the conferences we are using makes sense. Its not going to make or break anything around here, so im not really sure why we have to go through this. But I voted to put them into the conference.

Also @Dru50 im gonna stay with UCLA...I gotta role with them in this OD. I know I would regret moving to Utah or BYU. So, if you stick with USC and kick my ass all year long, thats fine with me :)

7. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

you need to take notes from @Jayrah and i on how to talk to a rival :D

8. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

He is playing on my guilty conscience, and is doing you a favor by opening up the possibility that someone may win a PAC 12 title outside of USC.

9. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

More like the reality! Those jokers from the North can spew all the crap they want but when it comes down to it, the Pac 12 title is going through LA one way or another...is that good enough for you Cheez :)

10. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

First of all I would like to say that so far I appreciate the input that you @Dru50 are taking from us on each matter. Obviously you want to have a satisfied and successful league, but it's not always that simple. So kudos :)

My Vote: Conference affiliation

Reason: Again, each move makes geological and logical sense. Will either move happen? With all the crazy variables and such that are out there right now for either BYU or ND....maybe/probably not. But the moves themselves aren't crazy or unrealistic by any stretch. Also the users that have them would have more fun in conference I would think.

ND is replacing Indiana, so that still leaves an Indiana rep in the B1G (and I LOVE that Nebraska stays here). Not to mention ND is better suited to be a major player in the conference title and recruiting race. Also ND has rivalries with Stanford, USC and MSU (who would/will become their protected rival). The only problem I see with it is that they will not see Michigan except in a possible conference championship (how epic would that be though? Michigan vs Notre Dame for the B1G Title!) However in place of that we get a yearly ND vs OSU matchup, which should be pretty epic itself.

PUT EM IN!

BYU is/would be replacing Colorado, who is close enough, but doesn't fit the in state rivalry aspect of the Pac, which was one of the most unique aspects of the conference previously. BYU fits that bill and gives one more "true" rivalry to the conference with the Holy War. Not to mention that would put a 6 star cpu school on each side of the Conference to add competition from the cpu in the Pac-12, making it imo the superior conference at every level over the B1G :p.

IF YOU TAKE BYU @Dru50 PUT EM IN!

I'm just saying both moves make sense (maybe even more than what really happened imo), not that irl they will ever happen. I will also say that if you Dru decide to stay at USC, that ND needs to be in conference to keep balance in both conferences. If you do move to BYU, and you and ND were both Independent that would be ok with me too. But the votes look like conference is the choice.