Initial 2k14 Roster Thoughts

Discussion in 'The Baseline : NBA 2K14 Online Association' started by Dru50, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

For those who haven't seen it, OS put up a video which shows the rosters from the game.

http://www.operationsports.com/news/664771/nba-2k14-video-player-ratings/

I figured everyone could post some thoughts on your teams roster and ratings, such as:

1. What are you pleasantly suprised by?
    2. What disappointed you?
    3. Will your strategy change based on what the ratings have shown?
    4. Is there a "sleeper" on your team who will make more noise than expected this season?

Bondzai
    JrRawlins
    BDSDIGITAL
    JFace907
    recchem2000
    bringbackjimmy
    PAgamer07
    ryalaman
    sonn
    RyanC
    Blaza
    Ghost
    Papa Perry

2. sonn

sonn Walk On

1. I was a little surprised to see Bazemore rated 70 when he's done nothing in the NBA. I was hoping to see the other Curry in the game.

2. Both David Lee and Andrew Bogut both only having B+ rebounding. If my experience with the Pacers last year was any sign that's not going to cut it.

3. Nope. Still going to run and shot a lot of 3s. Maybe cause a rage quit here and there. :troll:

4. I'll have to see his skillset but Bazemore will probably see more minutes then I anticipated.

3. Dru50

My thoughts on the Rockets roster....

1. Pleasant surprises
    Dwight being rated a 90 isn't a surprise, but it was nice to see him have the finisher and posterizer skills, in addition to the new rebounding skill. Having 2 guys with the new "pick and roll maestro" skill (even though I don't know what that means) is cool as well. I did not know that Houston had Aaron Brooks (rated at 77 OVR) and Camby on the team. Brooks may be the starter with Lin and Beverly playing on the 2nd unit. Another nice thing to see was that Asik is rated a 70 OVR (which I think is really good considering he isn't an offensive guy) and he has 4 signature skills, including defensive anchor and the pick setting brick wall skill and the new rebounding skill.

2. Disappointments
    My PF position is a flat out disaster. The best actual PF on the team is Terrence Jones at 64 OVR.

3. Strategy
    Well, absent a trade to get a PF I'll have to experiment with either starting a really big lineup, with Asik at C and Dwight at PF, or a small ball lineup with Harden at the 3, Parsons at the 4 and 2 PG's playing together in the backcourt.

4. Sleeper
    I don't really see one jumping out at me, but having Camby as the 3rd big at 70 OVR is pretty nice.

4. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

Harkless is a 71 with A- perimiter D and the Interceptor trait so I like that.

Turkoglu is on the roster but will probably get bought out before the season starts.

Oladipo is my highest rated player at 76 (Afflalo and Nelson are also 76) and he has 3 traits....highlight reel, the trash can, and the checkered flag.

Oladipo and Harkless together on the floor will be a problem defensively for some people.

5. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Amar'e Stoudemire's B+ Post Rating was a bit of a surprise at first glance. Combined with his athleticism and offensive ability, this gives him a huge leg up on Andrea Bargnani in the starting PF compeittion. To that end, Barngs does bring an incredible mid to long range skill set, so he should see plenty of minutes whether it be from the onset or off the bench.

We were a bit disappointed in our backup PG ratings. With Prigioni at 64 OVR and Beno Udrih ad a 66, the New York staff will need to hit the practice court to see if the underlying stats of either make them viable options to run the second unit.

Based on what we're able to find out from these workouts will determine how what kind of system we run when our primary ball handler, Raymond Felton is out of the game. Both Prigs and Udrih look pretty consistent from the outside (B+ OUT), so we may look at some other ball handling options while we have them on the court. Shumpert is capable of running the 1 as is JR Smith. In a pinch, Carmelo may see some touches as Point Forward to give the defense a different look.

4. Is there a "sleeper" on your team who will make more noise than expected this season?

Believe it or not, the Knicks are very excited about old veterans Kenyon Martin and Ron Artest. Though they are both long in the tooth, both should bring leadership as well as some very useful defensive Sig Traits to help nuetralize opponents. Whether it be Bruiser, Lockdown D, Active Hands, Hustle points, these two should bring the lunchpail every night and do the dirty work that helps win ballgames.
    The other X-factor this year will be Ray Felton. He might not get the fanfare of most Baseline PGs, but Felton quietly makes plays and does an excellent job of protecting the ball. Early in camp, he has been very aggressive off the pick and roll and in addition to his passing ability, has been perfecting an arsenal of floaters and bunnies that will keep defenses off balance. Look for a big season for Felton.

Finally, the staff has been working their tails off to put Bargani in position to be effective. With number of big options to help balance out his defensive weaknesses, Bargns has been focusing on what he does best....scoring the basketball. Look for Bargns to be a key scorer for the Knicks with the ability to score off of pick-n-pops, pick-n-fades, and floppy sets.

6. Dru50

The checkered flag is the finisher skill I believe - which is awesome.

7. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I like my teams. Obviously Kobe is a beast. Nick Young will play the 3 with Nash and Kobe as guards. I'll end up starting Jordan Hill though probably at Center. He's a far superior rebounder to anyone else on the roster and he has scrapper trait. Kaman will end up being on the block sooner than later Dru50 the bench is mediocre but has some role players. I'll need some draft picks, because that team is going to suck in 2 years. I'll be looking forward to the rebuild.

8. Dru50

I love trades and I like the Kave-man but the last thing I need is another C.

9. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Carrick Felix got some love in the initial rosters. I honestly didn’t think he’d get so much. Especially on defense. I’d say high 60’s overall and 75 defense is pretty darn good for a second rounder. I also do enjoy seeing that Bynum is still respected by the 2K roster guys. CJ Miles FINALLY got his spot up trait after bangin in all kinds of spot up 3’s last year for the Cavs. Also enjoy seeing Andy Varejao get some love with a 77 overall and all the appropriate sig traits.

Sergey got ZERO love. His outside was a B+ so I’m really hoping that means his 3 point shot is high to where I can at least use him off the bench as a spot up shooter. Now Bennett has yet to put on a Cavs uni in anything more than a practice drill, but I really don’t agree with Dion Waiters being the same 76 rating. Either bump Waiters or downgrade Bennett.

Not really. This was about what I expected with the exception of the Russian. If anything, his minutes just went down and Miles may see more court time.

Andy Varejao for sure. He post playmaking and hustle sigs are going to come in handy. It really looks like 2K is gonna start rewarding guys for their ability to get garbage points and I’ve always felt Andy is the best in the business when it comes to garbage points.

10. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

1. I am pleasantly surprised by Demar Derozan's bumping in outside shooting. I am also surprised by how good Rudy Gay is... the pairing of Gay and DeRozan should be a lethal duo this season.

2. Throughly disappointed in the rating BIG V received, him being a 68 is pretty low in my view. He had very solid rookie year, especially down the stretch, i thought he would be closer to a 73-74 rating.

3. my strategy will remain mostly the same, the ratings didnt influence much to be honest.
    4. No real sleepers, unfortunately, Landry Fields is simply collecting a check... Hansborough might be legit down low.

11. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Gone are the days of 2K12 Landry. I remember when Blaza made him a freaking NY Legend

12. Dru50

I want to see the games between JrRawlins and Blaza. Should be epic.

13. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

if i dont improve my bench, i will get slaughtered.....and i mean slaughtered......

14. sonn

sonn Walk On

From what I've seen on OS, STATS will be redoing the rating and tendencies on release day.

15. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Wow, J'rue is an 87. Does anyone have the Pelicans?

16. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Lets not forget JFace took the all time series in 2K13 from both JrRawlins and Blaza

Forget 2K12...

17. PAgamer07

#fuckkyrie and his 4th quarter BS

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dru50

No - I was thinking of them originally.

19. Dru50

You are just lucky I ran out west.....and that I can't have the TWill dunk machine with DRose.

• Like Like x 1
  20. PAgamer07

Ugh, they're in the west arent they? That kinda blows

21. Dru50

Yes, they are in the west.

22. sonn

sonn Walk On

Give me Anthony Davis and I'll switch. :p

23. PAgamer07

How about you take the Pacers again and Ill take the Pelicans

24. sonn

sonn Walk On

They don't have the cheese potential of the Warriors.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Dru50

Trade me Davis or Gordon and I'll switch to the Bulls. ;) Same offer I made Ghost.