Initial Custom Playbook Thoughts/Observations/Experiences

Discussion in 'Hard Knocks' started by SteamboatReb, Dec 10, 2015.

1. SteamboatReb

SteamboatReb Walk On

How far along is everyone in developing custon playbooks? Anyone labbing yet?

I played a couple of lobby games and done some non-franchise practice and have taken a few things from the expereince thus far.....and, I will qualify this by saying that this is my first custom playbook experience...total noob tuber.

1. I am absolutely lost in my offensive playbook...which is to be expected a bit at first, I suppose. I got a little away from uagrad90 's suggestion of building from an existing playbook and will be starting from scratch soon. I can see myself keeping my current playbook (Miami) and maybe adding one new formation (3-4 sets) and a few additonal sets for existing formations.

2. I love the custom defensive playbook. I now have a full service 3-4 scheme and a couple of Dime and Nickel sets that I like. Whether or not I am "better" because of the expanded playbook, time will tell. I do feel a bit more confident at this point.

3. I have found myself assessing personnel and entertaining thoughts of attempting trying to roster players to man a change of pace offense, and I do not think that I can pull it off (especially offensively). The phrase "jack of all trades, master of none" comes to mind.

4. The most liberating thing about the custom offensive playbook....removing the useless plays (or at least thinning the herd of the overly redundant ones). You know the ones....WR screens, draws, slot option, shovel pass. Maybe some people can effectively run these plays....but they are above my skill level. Also moving forward with none of the cheese or limited money plays. Not a single FB dive will remain in my playbook and trying to limit the drag/mesh plays so as not to find myself using them too often.

Thoughts? Experiences of your own thus far? If this gets any traction and some good responses, I hope uagrad90 will chime in when he sees issues that may need addressing or places to offer guidance/tips/HK lifehacks.

• Like Like x 2
  2. independent739

independent739 Walk On

I'm disappointed we opted for custom offenses. The custom defensive PBs were needed - the stock PBs blow on that end. But otherwise, I thought having stock kept things more interesting/competitive. I'm sure we'll see soon enough what the result is, but I think custom PBs disadvantage those who are newer and/or haven't been playing competitive madden for 10 years.

I think starting from an existing PB is important, though. Otherwise, your book won't be very sound/fleshed out/well rounded.

Time will tell, though. If I'm 0-16 next season, we'll know why. :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. uagrad90

uagrad90 Walk On

The easiest route to take is take your current stock PB and set the audibles to what you want. Your done. Nobody wants to have slants on 75% of their sets as a quick audible. Even if you do not add or remove 1 play this give you the opportunity to expand your play calling. Because I know good and well everyone of have been at the LOS looked at the defense brought up the audibles and thought "Crap I wish I had play x right here".

Honestly unless your well versed in working with customs doing one from scratch will put you at a huge disadvantage. There are several little nuisances in custom books that are very frustrating until you figure them out. Just my $0.02 worth.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

My ignorance will show here as I had no idea custom audibles was available by doing this. As it was said earlier, too many times I'm at the line, see a defense I don't like and say "Yeah slants and a 10 yard drop back pass are two plays worse than what I've called."

• Like Like x 2
  5. SteamboatReb

SteamboatReb Walk On

Yeah, I actually wasted a ton of time one night adjusting audibles during an in-franchise practice session thinking that the audibles would carry over and become permanent in the playbook. The instincts are there, but It has definitely been a slow process in getting back reaquainted with Madden after a two year hiatus.

Your $.02 is more than welcome here Guy and is the raison d'etre of the post. I hope you leave us a couple of dollars here if we need it.

6. uagrad90

uagrad90 Walk On

Only way to set your audibles is with a custom book. But that don't mean you have to add or delete a bunch of stuff. Set your audibles and save the custom book.

• Like Like x 1
  7. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

:finger:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    I am more excited for custom defensive pbs, tbh.

I am going to find the most exotic blitz packages in the game and get burned for 80 yard touchdowns using them on the regular.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Problem with running the team PB's is people starting using the same plays as a crutch because they may have been based upon a specific type of play route or personnel or whatever it may be...that's why it was decided to add custom PB's back on offense as well...at least now you can add a wider variety of plays and hopefully we won't see the same BS on offense.

Defense as well, folks just wanna run cover 2 man all game and that's lame...the defensive one was more needed than the offensive one but either way, I and many others hope to see some variance in people's game play.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

after dogging Custom Books, i'm gonna give er the ol' college try.

• Like Like x 1