Injured Reserve?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Injured Reserve?

Bruce80 brought up an interesting question we should tackle involving season ending injuries ONLY.

Is there something we could set up (a forum of some type, near team front office) where owners could post season ending injuries. Those players could be "cut" into the FA market, BUT...

1. the owner still has rights to him and can resign them at the end of the season at no bid war penalty.
    2. the owner still pays the cap value of the player but incurs no roster hit for it (I could set up a new column for adding IR cap into regular cap without affecting roster count in the cap book).
    3. the owner must bid/trade for a player and still be under the cap with the IR player included. If the team goes over the 335 cap then the commish would reserve the right to get the offending owner under the cap.
    4. the owner would be responsible for reporting any IR players in each thread update. For example, let's say my guy LJ goes on IR. I would report any cap changes with:

330 cap
    55 players
    1 IR player (HB L. Johnson)

Failure to update with IR roster spots would result in loss of rights to player cut for IR (meaning he is a free agent and owner would have to bid on player to get him back).

What do you think of this idea? And do we even need it? It does seem a bit unfair to have to hold onto a player when you could get a replacement. I understand strategy as far as having the 53 man roster for this very reason, but you can't plan injuries.

Let me know what you guys think, even if the idea stinks.

2. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

dude, that rocks. great idea! I am all for making that happen. BTW, i am going to refigure my cap soon so we can figure out where I stand. Would you mind relooking over it a third time?

3. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Not at all. I'll do that now. I'll also post on Bruce's tag in the regular forums that we are discussing an option for IR.

4. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

I agree cool idea...What about just allowing teams to keep the injured player on their roster and allow for 54 man roster that way he doesnt hit the FA pool..I think madden allows up to 55 man rosters so each team could have 2 roster exemptions for IR and still keep them on roster..

5. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

To play devil's advocate, though, what if you are like me and have a full 55 man roster? I would have to cut someone I like (and risk him going to another team) to replace a player. With the system above, if I have cap space, I have the ability to keep both players. It promotes cap management as well, since you have to be careful in reporting both cap numbers, as well as the IR players. If you don't report them, you lose them. This encourages owner participation.

I do understand your point though, using the 53 man roster and going 2 for IR. What if we dropped the minimum to 52? That gives 3 spots for IR (which I doubt would happen to one person in one year), and keeps the free agency side of the idea off the books.

Personally speaking (it was my idea, so I'm biased lol), though, I like the free agency idea. The only problem I see with it, though, is an owner would get penalized if they signed a free agent for a season and then cut them when the star came back. To get around that, you could make free agents replacing IR guys cuttable with no penalty, but that would get REALLY hard to track and would get abused.

6. Jeremy

Before I reply to your idea, I have a question...I signed Lorenzo Neal-91ovr for 10 points from free agency..If I were to cut him, say next week, I would still carry his 10 point bid value??

7. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

If he were injured for the year and had to go on IR, yes. But, using my idea as a base, you could cut him (but still have rights to him), bid on another FB or trade for one, and then at the end of the year you could sign him back without having to bid on him, so long as you made sure to report him in the IR thread as well as any moves in your front office thread.

Does that scenario make sense? Any other questions/scenarios please put them here. This is good discussion I think.

8. Jeremy

I think it could work as long as we stay on top of it on a IR thread..Would we only allow this for season ending injuries or could we implement something for 11-12-13 week injuries also?

On a similar subject, how are we going to handle career ending injuries. Would that player still count against my cap the whole year?

9. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Okay, lots of questions but good ones. Here goes:

1. For career ending injuries, you would still take the cap hit for the year. After that, he would drop off the books. This would symbolize having to pay the contract for the remainder of the year, then cutting the contract at the end of the year for future cap considerations.

2. This idea would be ONLY for season ending injuries, not for any injuries that have a timeframe to them. I'm open to discussing this as far as long term injuries that would technically be "season ending", but I want to be careful with it because of the possibility for abuse.

Also, as kind of a compromise (even though we aren't really arguing it), I would say you cannot place more than 3 players on the special IR list. After that, they must stay on the "active" roster.

10. natedawg212000

as far as cutting a fa (not a injury, just cutting him) or trading him, you take a cap hit of whatever his overall rating requires for the year.

11. natedawg212000

winuvas, i gotta say man. GREAT JOB! Rock on cuz!

12. Jeremy

So I signed CB Fahkir Brown for 8 points.His cap value is 6. If I trade him this year I carry a 6 point hit all year?

13. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Yeah. That is the rule for trading signed free agents though isn't it?

With the IR part of the deal, owners would have to be careful (just like real life) about cap management. Trading away free agents to get players as IR replacements means they would effectively pay twice (once for IR player, once for FA trade).

14. natedawg212000

correct on both of your accounts.

15. savaunte

savaunte Oakland Raiders

Wow...this is all great

I like Winuvas idea about 3 spots for IR players

16. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Okay, here is what I have worked out that we can vote on.

Injured Reserve

A team can place three (3) players per year on injured reserve. These players must have a season ending injury/career ending injury ONLY. The injured reserve works in the following way:

1. The owner must report in the team front office thread that he is placing the player on injured reserve.

2. The owner must ACTIVELY either sign a free agent or trade for the position of the player being put on IR. Example: If HB Stephen Jackson is on IR, the owner must trade for/sign a HB.

3. The owner, after getting steps 1 and 2, can then CUT the player going on IR. This player, however, REMAINS on his cap figures, but NOT his roster numbers.

4. Before every game, the team must list their players on IR in the front office thread (or IR thread if we create one) and must let their opponent know who is on IR.

5. ANY transactions must include how many, and who, is on IR right under cap and roster information. Failure to comply with rules 4 and 5 will result in forfeiture of the protection of the player from other teams via free agency.

At the end of the season, if all rules are followed, the owner may then sign the player on IR back to their squad WITHOUT a bid war ensuing.

The owner is responsible for keeping up with the player(s) on IR. Not me. And they DO still have to pay the cap space for the IR player. There is no exemption for paying the cost of the player while on IR. So if a player is above/at the cap, then they cannot use IR. IR is ONLY for people under the cap or that can get under the cap.

Vote away.

17. Jeremy

(y) from me.

18. Branden

Branden Walk On

this all sounds good great idea winevus

19. natedawg212000

gotta A+ from me too

20. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Only one person left to check in. Then if the majority agrees (which it appears we do), then we can post the new rules for the owners to read and follow.

That's Nate's job. I just type up the rules. ;)

21. savaunte

savaunte Oakland Raiders

Looks good.

Nice work Winuvas

22. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I vote (n)

lol just kidding.

(y)

23. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

So...are we gonna post this up as rules for people or what?