Inside the Huddle

Discussion in 'After Midnight' started by Boom29, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

The goal of this thread is for each coach to provide some insight into either one of your favorite plays or a play that you consider a staple of your offense/defense. I'm not necessarily asking that you reveals your secrets, but provide your thought process in using a particular play that you use often and explain the purpose it plays in your offense/defense.

recchem2000
    Jayrah
    whygodwhy1111
    BRUCE80
    Wyrmreaver
    Kapono
    MexiRican35
    SatansAngel1104

And so, we begin by exploring one of the Miami Hurricanes big play calls:

Shotgun: 4 WR Trio, "White Label" SE Drag

[​IMG]

Miami likes the 4 WR Trio formation because it creates an isolation on one side and a bunch on the other. For the SE Drag play, the Canes will use their #1 WR is on the single receiver side. The isolation of the #1 receiver is intended to force the defense to account for the one-on-one match-up if nothing else.

While the play as diagrammed is intended to hit the SE on the drag route, the Miami Hurricanes teach their QBs to read the play from high to low. Miami, being a ball-control offense, consider this one of their explosive plays and will call it once or twice per game.

Pre-snap
    • The play is usually called in mid-yardage situations where the defense cannot commit to the pass, preferably in the middle of the field or right hash.
    • There is little pre-snap adjustment for this play. If a blitz is expected, the first read stays the same, but the SE cross becomes the second read
    • The HB may be hot routed to block and the #1 WR can be hot routed to any route
    Post-Snap
    • Read 1 - The QB will read the safeties, and if they split the field, are in man coverage, or blitz, the throw is to the #4 WR down the seam
    • Read 2 & 3 - The QB will then read the linebackers and hit either the #3 WR on an outside hook or the #1 WR coming on the drag route
    • Read 4 - The last read is the HB coming of the backfield, but this is generally not thrown unless there is a heavy rush
    • Read 5 - The streak route to the #2 WR is rarely thrown unless the safeties rotate to the single receiver side or are favoring the middle of the field

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  2. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

Boom29

Great formation, though i admit I rarely use that play ( I should rethink that). Read option in that formation is possibly the best running play in the game. Off tackle, QB wrap, slot option, and HB counter are also great.

3. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ┬┐Te quieres naranjas?

[​IMG]

I Form Twin TE: PA TE Leak​
    This has been one of my favorite plays since Madden 08. It's also in the Twins formation. It's great to use after pounding the rock with inside runs. The main goal is to get the defense to bite on the play action. If they crash inside, this can be a huge play to the TE.​
    Pre snap reads: Where is the overhang CB? Is he tight on the line, or playing the field? Also, where is the SS?​
    Post snap reads: If the defense is man, the CB will have the outside TE. That means a safety or LB has the inside TE. If LB is carrying, the throw will go over the outside shoulder towards the sideline. If the SS carries, throw the pass underneath at the break. If the TE is covered, the outside TE should have inside leverage on the dig from the CB. Third read is dump off to FB in flats.​
    If zone, read the overhang CB's drop. If CB plays flats, look to hit the TE underneath the S. If CB drops, look at TE dig and hit if the LB's jumped the play action. Last read is FB in flats.​
    Wrinkle: Motion the outside TE to the other side of the formation. This can be set up by using the same motion on running plays. Hot route the WR to a streak. This gives you two outside routes with a vertical threat. And, if all else fails, dump to the FB.​

4. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

[​IMG]

This pistol spread play is no doubt recognizable by my opponents. I have been using it since year 1.

First make sure the route for WR (A) is to the long side of the field. For 2 reasons (A) route will not work if its too close to the sidelines and the (Y) route is better if its closer to the sidelines. Best called when on one hash or the other. Helps to have speed WR in the slots and a possession WR on the (X) route.

The reads:

WR (A):
    If the CBs are playing off its probably a man blitz, look to the (A) route. Assuming you get the man coverage you expect. You want to release a LOB pass just after the outside break. Lead the WR with up on the L-Stick so the ball gets further out in front and away from the sidelines. You probably will not be able to stay in bounds after the catch. If you release the ball too early during/after the WR breaks to the outside it will be massively under thrown and the DB will have a chance to intercept.​

Zone or (A) has a safety over top:
    Read the deep coverage. Sometimes the player with Zone responsibility for the left sideline will follow the (X) WR into the middle of the field. (Y) will get open for a huge play down the sideline when this happens(bullet pass so the defender can not get over in time). When the X receiver is not followed 2 things can happen. Sometimes the zone will be playing too close to the line of scrimmage and (X) will get a huge gain with L-Stick up lob. If the defense is behind (X), bullet a pass holding L-stick Right. While the pass is in the air, control the WR to high point the ball before it gets to the safety. Tall slow possession WRs will do this best, it will be hard to pull off with WRs much over 90 speed.​

WR (B):
    Sometimes you can get a 10 gain out of WR (B). This is usually on a zone blitz or cover 2 sink where the zone coverage backs up to cover (A). If you read it wrong its a Pick 6 so be careful.​

I once hot routed WR (A) and (B) to fly routes and connected on this hail marry

the safety follows the (X) WR and the (Y) out ran the CB. Bullet pass to make sure the Safety could not get over in time.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  5. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

SMH! You Bastard! You killed Kenny! :p

6. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

The corner route is the toughest one for me to throw. I either put too much air on it, or completely overthrow the receiver. But, I do like the Post/Wheel combination on the backside. I've began incorporating it into my playcalling and have had some success as long as I have time to throw.

7. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

The corner routes are very dependent on the qb. Some my last 3 haven't been able to throw it. My current qb can. I noticed that last season too when there were those that could and those that couldn't when I had Cal. I haven't even seen any correlation between power or accuracy. It's weird.

8. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On