Inside the Mind

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Hokie Effect, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Inside the Mind

I figured I would give the ball a nudge and if anyone else wants to fine tune this feature please feel free to. I am not that creative.

Inside the Mind

This week we interview Coach Beazus of Clemson who is coming off 2 big wins against users, both in OT and is on the brink of a #1 ranking.

How long have you been coaching at Clemson?

Why were you interested in the Clemson job?

How would you describe your coaching style?

What were your expectations going into the 2012 season?

Who are your key players for this year? Any darkhorses?

How do you prepare for a big matchup?

How do you approach recruiting?

Why go for 2?

Anything else we should know about you?

2. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Yeah, does your wife/girlfriend like strippers too???

3. Beazus Christ

Beazus Christ Resident Smut Peddler

[​IMG]

How long have you been coaching at Clemson?

I started off midseason in Year 1. Took over for KingOfThe(insert area code here). Pretty soon, I will have been with SE for 3 years.

Why were you interested in the Clemson job?

I stumbled across this website and this was the first opening available! But having CJ Spiller for half a year wasn't exactly a deterrent.

Ideally, I would like a balanced offense in every sense of the term. In practice, I think the Tigers are a run-oriented team that passes when necessary to move the chains. On defense, my main goal is to force the opposing QB in to making unwise decisions. To achieve this, the Tigers bring pressure, mix up man/zone, and pray the QB makes a bad read.

What were your expectations going into the 2012 season?

Everyone wants to win the national title. At Clemson, we are no different. However, given how tough the users are in SE, this could prove to be too tall a task for the Tigers to achieve. Realistically, we would be ecstatic with another trip to a BCS game.

This year, the offense revolves around senior QB Kyle Parker. Although Parker has been notorious down in Tiger Country for the excessive turnovers, this is his fifth year in the program and the coaching staff expects big things from him this year. On offense, our darkhorse candidate for a big year would be WR Brandon Clear. Defenses will cue on stopping HB Andre Ellington and WR Bryce McNeal, so this should give Brandon Clear plenty of opportunity to shine in 2012.

On defense, Clemson expects DT Brandon Thompson, DE Mallicah Goodman, MLB Corico Hawkins, and CB Marvin Campbell to make "splash" plays. As far as a darkhorse for big numbers, look for the RS freshman FS Matt Thomas to make some waves in the ACC.

I put on some headphones, listen to the Roots or A Tribe Called Quest, and try to forget that I'm playing a big game!

Ideally, I would look to recruit positions of need 2 years before the problem arises. This never happens though. Being a former lineman, I tend to heavily recruit in the trenches and leave the skill positions to chance - not a very sound recruiting strategy!

Why go for 2?

Against Florida, I didn't think we would be able to hold the Gators on the ensuing possession. Plus, we got lucky on the 4th down touchdown so I figured luck was on our side. Against Maryland, I attempted a 2 point conversion for the same reasons - I didn't think I could stop Maryland's RB and I got lucky on a tipped pass which was caught by Brandon Clear to set up the winning score.

I'm pretty chill. If we are playing and you have a problem with something I'm doing, feel free to pause the game and put on the mic so that we can work it out. And yes, the girl loves her some strippers!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. GoGators

Awesome work guys. My suggestion, to take this back to elementary school, is this works like the talking stick or ball or whatever you guys used in 3rd grade.

Hokie opened it and passed it to Beazus. Now it's Beazus' turn to pass it to someone else next week and on we'll go.

5. LeGeNd RiPs

LeGeNd RiPs Is it football season yet?

I like the idea! I think we should Just have each person have 9-10 questions each week, from their own mind. Not neccessarily the same questions. I really think this could generate some great content!

6. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

You're probably gonna have to survive the ACC first for that to happen! :monkeybutt:

Add in some Mos Def, Talib Kweli, and Lupe Fiasco and we're talkin'!

7. Beazus Christ

No doubt!

Ill come up with a target coach and some questions this weekend.

8. LeGeNd RiPs

This should be good!

9. GoGators

It would appear that Beazus has dropped the ball on this one. Either that or he is a talking stick hog!

You were suppose to pass these questions, or your own, onto another coach this week. What happened?

10. Beazus Christ

I'll pass the questions on to Coach Jello1717 of the ACC champion North Carolina Tarheels.

How long have you been coaching at North Carolina?

Why were you interested in the North Carolina job?

What were your expectations for the remainder of the 2012 season?

11. jello1717

How long have you been coaching at North Carolina?
    I took over UNC for the last 2 games of the 2009 season. The program was in a shambles, especially the recruiting. I'm still in the process of turning things around for the Heels.

Why were you interested in the North Carolina job?
    Carolina has always been my 3rd favorite team so it is an honor to coach for them. (Don't tell any UNC fans this, but I'm really just biding my time until my dream job @ Michigan opens up)

Offensively, I have a grinding style. I want to chew up yards on the ground and to keep the opponents offense off the field. If the big play is there, I'll take it. If not, expect to have your defense picked apart a few yards at a time.

Defensively, for the past 2 seasons my style has been one of survival. I hope that my defense can stall the opponent's offense just long enough for my offense to win the game. One I get the horses I need on the defensive side of the ball, then I will rely on my D to win games for me, but we're not even close to that point yet.

What were your expectations for the remainder of the 2012 season?
    The same as they were at the beginning of the season. To win 6 games and get to a bowl game. Anything better than that is either over achievement or just dumb luck.

My defense revolves around LE Tydreke Powell an SS Dustin Williams. Everyone else on my D is just filling a spot until someone better comes along.

Offensively, we're better off. We have QB A.J. Blue who is our general. HB Dallas Kirk is the first stud that I've recruited and he's getting better as each game passes. @ wideout, I have the dynamic duo of Boyd and Harrelson, two speedsters with great hands and height. @ TE, we're not where I want to be yet, but in a couple of years, we'll be very solid @ TE.

I don't see any dark horses on my team.

I'll usually do my scouting shortly before the game. I'll check out my opponent's playbook if I'm not familiar with it. I'll check out his injuries and depth chart to see who I need to watch out for. I may shuffle my depth chart to better take advantage of some matchups (this is mainly putting LE powell on my opponent's weakest OT). I'll check out their stats to see who the coach's favorite targets are and try to come up with a gameplan to take them away.

I've finally built the program to the point that :5stars: kids are interested. I go for the 4 :5stars: kids that I need the most (not necessarily the best ones that are interested) and go after them. I'll then scour the recruits from 4* all the way down to the 2* kids looking for ones with the types of attributes I'm looking for. I don't care so much about overall ranking as I find that very often, the lower ranked kids work better in my system.

Not about me, but about my team. Given a couple of years to get some decent recruits in and UNC will rule the land. Beat up on us now while we're down, because once we're back on our feet, all your victories are belong to us.

12. jello1717

This week's "Inside the Mind" will shift from the ACC to the SEC as we probe the mind of Alabama Head Coach, Killjo.

How long have you been coaching at Alabama and why were you interested in the job?

Who are your key players for this year and have they lived up to your expectations?

How do you prepare for a big user matchup?

How do you explain your team's apparent underachievment these last couple of years?

When do you expect to be competing for conference/national championships again?

Have you recruited as well as you would like?

Do you have any youngsters that you expect to be game changers next year, and do they fit your scheme or will you have to change things up?

Who will ultimately win the hearts and minds of Alabamians everywhere, Tigers or Elephants?

Anything else we should know about you or your team?

13. killajo90405

killajo90405 Walk On

I will get Bama back to where the should be....

14. GoGators

I told you a couple season ago Killajo that you were better with your pocket passing QB. You didn't listen to me though haha.

15. killajo90405

killajo90405 Walk On

True, true. But it's just to hard to sit down that talent.....

16. LeGeNd RiPs

Who's next? Who ya passin it to killa?

17. killajo90405

killajo90405 Walk On

Ill pass it tonght

18. killajo90405

killajo90405 Walk On

Inside the Mind

Ok its Hokie's turn.

How long have you been coaching at Virginia Tech?

Why were you interested in the Virginia Tech job?

What are your expectations going into the 2013 season?

Who is you favorite player that you have recruited?

Are you pleased with you recruiting classes? Do they fit your style?

You seem to be a guy that has a good sense of humor, were you the class clown?

Who in SE do you or would you enjoy beating most? Why??

Has all of you focus on "Sweetness" negatively effected your season?

19. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Hokie let's goooooo!!!!

20. GoGators

Hokie's own idea and he's not participating. Cat got your tongue or what?

21. Hokie Effect

How long have you been coaching at Virginia Tech?
    I am one of the few original coaches in the SE

Why were you interested in the Virginia Tech job?
    Anytime you have a chance to coach at your almamater, you have to jump on the opportunity

Ideally I would like to be known for a stout defense and an offense that puts up big numbers. But I don't think that is happening as of yet. I also like to be different, hence the change in offensive and defensive schemes recently

What are your expectations going into the 2013 season?
    Right now we are still focused on the 2012 season and with a little help (lets go Terps) and winning out the Hokies can still go to the ACCCG

The one making the most impact so far is DT Jim Young, but I have a feeling RB Chris Sanders who was our first signee this year will be the next stud Hokie RB

I would like to have more speed on the field, but I think our classes so far will keep us competitive in the ACC for the seasons to come

I will try my best to "scout" the team beforehand, but I like to try and shutdown my opponents impact players

You seem to be a guy that has a good sense of humor, were you the class clown? I wouldn't say class clown, I do have a dry sense of humor and just like having a good time. Not real big on the whole serious thing

Haven't beaten them yet but GoGator and Beazus would be nice to take down as I see them as the better coaches in the league, although GoGator might be slippin

Has all of you focus on "Sweetness" negatively effected your season?
    I think Sweetness has given the Hokies some nice media attention, but I don't think it has negatively affected the team in the win/loss column

I think the more I play the game the worse I get....

22. GoGators

Slipping hahaha, that's funny.

I wish EA would come up with a better way to scout your opponents. It would be cool if you could see what their favorite plays or something are. I think they had this in the game back in the 90's for crying out loud but they haven't brought it back for reasons beyond me. It would especially help versus the CPU.

I also like the stout defense and a big numbers offense. So basically you want to be a juggernaut? You want to win every game 70-0. I guess that's the idea of the game, not much of a radical philosophy though. I'd expect more from a deciple of Beamer ball haha. (Sorry, haven't picked on you in a while)

Don't forget to pass that on Hokie.

23. GoGators

Slipping hahaha, that's funny.

I wish EA would come up with a better way to scout your opponents. It would be cool if you could see what their favorite plays or something are. I think they had this in the game back in the 90's for crying out loud but they haven't brought it back for reasons beyond me. It would especially help versus the CPU.

I also like the stout defense and a big numbers offense. So basically you want to be a juggernaut? You want to win every game 70-0. I guess that's the idea of the game, not much of a radical philosophy though. I'd expect more from a deciple of Beamer ball haha. (Sorry, haven't picked on you in a while)

Don't forget to pass that on Hokie.

24. Hokie Effect

I will gladly pass this off to Legend who has kept my ACC title hopes alive....

How long have you been coaching at Maryland?

Why were you interested in the Maryland job?

How do you explain your recent lack of success?

Do you expect to compete for an ACC title in the future?

Who are your key players? Any darkhorses to look out for?

If you were a character from the movie "The Hangover", who would you be and why?

Anything else we should know about you or your team?

25. GoGators

Maybe while he's at it we could get the game summary for the maryland UNC game too...