Inside the Q - A look at the rooks

Discussion in 'Quality Simulation Football' started by thafuture3886, Sep 26, 2014.

1. thafuture3886

thafuture3886 Power Rankings Analyst

Jul 23, 2010
    This preseason I highlighted 5 rookies each on offense and defense that I thought would be difference makers this season in Madden. So while we’re at about the halfway point I thought I would give a look at how those players are doing as well as some that weren’t highlighted but are playing great.

QB Blake Bortles – Jaguars Ninersfan80
    1424 Passing yards, 4 TD, 14 INT, 61%
    Bortles is having trouble getting adjusted to the speed of the NFL. If he takes his time and slows down while going through his progressions, his interceptions will come down.

WR Sammy Watkins – Bills coachgaddy
    15 Rec, 287 yards, 2 TD
    Watkins is not having the impact the Bills imagined when they traded up to get him in the draft. He will have to improve as the Bills have their sights set on a divisional crown.

TE Eric Ebron – Lions Warhawk AKA dreadman
    21 Rec, 358 Yards, 3 TD
    Ebron is doing what many envisioned he would do and that’s control the middle while Megatron does his thing on the outside.

WR Brandin Cooks – Saints ThaBayouChef
    11 Rec, 157 Yards, 2 TD
    Even with the plethora of weapons available to Drew Brees, Cooks’ numbers are not what many expected of him in his rookie season.

QB Johnny Manziel – Browns LtJustice
    1151 Passing Yards, 5 TD, 26 INT, 51%
    Flat out, Manziel is playing like garbage. With Hoyer being released during the preseason, the front office has no choice but to let Manziel play through his struggles.

WR Marqise Lee - Jags Ninersfan80

29 Rec, 386 Yards, 2 TD
    Lee has been a bright spot for a spotty Jags offense and may emerge as their potential #1 WR.

RB Bishop Sankey - Titans @heath
    304 Rushing yards, 5 TD
    Sankey is the only rookie RB with more than 80 yards and while his YPC isn’t impressive, he is getting the job done in Tennessee

WR Kelvin Benjamin - Panthers CSteud
    20 Rec, 313 Yards, 1 TD
    With their top 3 WR options gone from last year, the late 1st round pick has been a nice addition and should be dangerous as he matures and improves his route running.

OLB Jadeveon Clowney - Texans dakota7
    25 Tackles, 2 Sacks, 1 INT
    As the #1 overall pick and all of his youtube, Clowney’s expectations were through the roof. While he has played well, he is not shown to be the difference maker we expected.

OLB Khalil Mack - Raiders RVallee
    22 Tackles, 3 Sacks, 1 FF, 1 INT
    To some, Mack should have been the 1st overall pick in the draft and with comparable, if not better numbers than Clowney he is showing he had the talent.

CB Justin Gilbert - Browns LtJustice
    6 Tackles, 3 INT
    Gilbert was touted as the best corner in the draft and as evident by his 3 interceptions so far he is proving that.

OLB Anthony Barr - Vikings JSimms
    7 Tackles
    Barr has been nonexistent this year. With only 7 tackles it makes you wonder if he will be a bust.

MLB Ryan Shazier - Steelers
    26 Tackles, 4 Sacks
    Shazier is having a solid season and leads all rookies in sacks.

FS Lamarcus Joyner – Rams Coach KO

38 Tackles
    Coming out of nowhere, Joyner the FSU product leads all rookies in tackles.

Jason Verrett – Chargers niner_empire86
    15 Tackles, 4 INT
    A late 1st rd pick that seemed to be forgotten by most, Verrett leads all rookies in interceptions.

Prince Shembo – Raiders Michael Overman
    32 Tackles, 1 FF
    The 4th round product out of Notre Dame is 2nd in all rookies in tackles.

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix – Packers redlishus
    29 Tackles, 2 INT
    Clinton-Dix has showed he has the range and ability to play in the box thus far this season and is looking like the best safety prospect in the draft.
    • Like Like x 12
  2. Warhawk AKA dreadman

Warhawk AKA dreadman Walk On

Jul 27, 2010
    great work Curt! my dude Ebron has definitely been putting in work...
    • Like Like x 2
  3. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

Jul 19, 2012
    Good stuff man! Cooks is on record as saying "the game just feels like it goes by so fast", in regards to why his numbers aren't better!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. niner_empire86

niner_empire86 Walk On

Sep 4, 2010
    Verrett has been a beast. And he's developing at a superstar pace. He's got a bright future as a lock down corner.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Michael Overman

Michael Overman Walk On

Jul 31, 2012
    Ebron worked me...he's solid

Kelvin FSUUUU

Barr 7 tackles

Shazier...OMG I'm so excited he will be a falcon in two more seasons after this one

Appreciate the love on Prince Shembo I think this guy is gonna be a player both in the Q and real life. Since putting him in the LB spot occupied by Bravo star Kroy Bierman...Prince has over delivered. The Falcons have some fun young LB's

thafuture3886 Such Solid Solid Content...awesomeness AND on a Friday

• Like Like x 4
  6. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

Oct 8, 2009
    Great write-up!!
    I am gonna go ahead and toot my rooks horn for second here.
    WR Mike Evans leads the Bucs with 24rec, 339yds and 3TDs. He has been maybe the lone bright spot on this offense.

• Like Like x 3
  7. MrWitness36

MrWitness36 Walk On

Mar 1, 2012
    Good content buddy
    • Like Like x 1
  8. JSimms

JSimms TLY Season 1 Champs!

Oct 25, 2009
    It took me 5 games to realize I was running a lot of 2 LB packages, and playing Greenway/Dansby instead of Barr. Barr's numbers will significantly increase in the 2nd half of this season...
    • Like Like x 2

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Jun 13, 2010
    I actually like to see that some of the rookie performances are underwhelming. Good to see that speed isn't everything anymore. Good stuff Curtis. (y)
    • Like Like x 3
  10. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

Jul 22, 2010
    Awesome write-up Curt.

My spotlighted rooks are 1 for 2, not bad. Johnny will emerge...just taking his lumps.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. guitarDADDY1208

guitarDADDY1208 Walk On

Jul 12, 2013
    Of course no love for CJ Mosley with his 12 tackles 1 INT and 1 FF from a backup role
  12. heathh

heathh Walk On

Jul 17, 2013
    Great write up. But I urge you to check out our QB Zach Mettenberger. Hes doing pretty good, but still has a lot of work to do.
  13. Kevin Gomez

Kevin Gomez Walk On

Mar 5, 2014