Inside the Q - Around the League

Discussion in 'Quality Simulation Football' started by thafuture3886, Jan 24, 2014.

1. thafuture3886

thafuture3886 Power Rankings Analyst

[​IMG]
    For entertainment purposes only

Here we are again, the beginning of another season here in the Q. In our 3rd played(5th overall) season we've had a plethora of major trades that have definitely shook up the league. In this edition of Inside the Q, I will look at some of the major trades from the 2016 and 2017 offseason and assess who "won" the trade and how i see the trade working out for each of the teams involved.
    Jets/Titans 2016 Blockbuster - klaximilian ThaBayouChef
    Geno Smith for Titans 2016 1st and 4th rd pick

It's been no secret the Titans have been looking for their franchise QB since the league started. They started with Jake Locker and his inconsistencies in the accuracy department lead them to trade him to the Saints. Then the Titans traded for Kirk Cousins which also failed as his lack of arm strength continuously held him back. So the Jets put young QB Geno Smith on the block and the Titans finally land their QB of the future. Smith brings a strong arm as well as a very accurate arm but also allows the Titans to run the read option thanks to Smith's speed. In return for Smith the Jets would use their 1st rd pick on RE Becket Shultz(please correct me if i'm wrong) who will be a terror in their 4-6 defense for opposing quarterbacks for the remainder of the franchise. The Jets were able to trade away Smith due in part to the confidence the front office had in young QB Taray Reeder who appears to be a clone of Geno Smith.

Winner: Both teams aquired top level talent as a result of this trade and Reeder made Smith expendable.

Jaguars/Chiefs 2016 Blockbuster - CHUNKNESS redlishus
    WR Brice Butler, RT Rayell Gadell & SS Robert Sands for SS Eric Berry

The Jags coveted another playmaker in their secondary and were not afraid to do what it takes to grab him. They land probably the best if not one of the top 2 or 3 safeties in the game in Eric Berry in the prime of his career. The Chiefs, lacking depth certaintly plugged plenty of holes as they grabbed 3 guys that could possibly be huge contributors if not starters and key pieces to their turnaround.

Winner: I'm leaning toward the Chiefs winning this one as anytime you can get 3 key players for 1 is a good deal although getting a player of Barry's calibur in his prime is a good coup as well for the Jags.

Bengals/Lions 2016 Blockbuster - heathh CTfromDC
    WR AJ Green for LT Riley Reiff & WR Marc Middleton

It's been no secret that Heath wants to try to acquire any and every player he can that played for Georgia. Never in a million years would I have thought he would grab AJ Green who is easily one of the top 3 wide receivers in the game. And to pair him with Megatron???!! Good luck NFC North. CT apparently couldn't get on track with Green and needed a beast at LT which is why he pulled the trigger while also receiving a pretty good receiver in return.

Winner: Lions. Acquiring a WR such as Green to pair with Megatron is a deadly combination and will be one to watch this season.

Jets/Giants/Seahawks 2017 Megadeal - klaximilian cry_havoc LtJustice
    Jets acquire WR Percy Harvin(from Seahawks) & WR David Gettis(from Giants)
    Giants acquire SS Kam Chancellor(from Seahawks), 2017 2nd rd pick(from Jets) & 2018 1st rd pick(from Seahawks)
    Seahawks acquire WR Keliko Ambles(from Jets), 2017 1st rd pick(from Jets), TE Adrian Robinson(from Giants), CB Verley Ardizone(from Giants)

Where do i begin??!! This deal has so many moving parts it's hard to keep track so bare with me. The Jets acquired the best and most impactful player in the deal in Percy Harvin who should fare well with new QB Taray Reeder. The Giants land big hitting SS Kam Chancellor who will probably injure every player that comes across the middle this season. The Seahawks, strapped for cash and looking for cheap replacements came away with 3 guys on cap friendly deals as well as the chance to land another playmaker with the #7 pick in the draft on a team that's already loaded with playmakers.

Winner: Though the Jets and Giants acquired more top level talent, I think the Seahawks getting 4 starters in this deal makes them the winner in this deal. I still think Jim cheats but that's another story for another time lol.

Cardinals/Colts/Eagles 2017 Blockbuster - Miki1369 Coach KO thafuture3886
    Cardinals acquire CB Vontae Davis(from Colts)

Colts acquire 1st rd pick(from Eagles), 2nd rd pick(from Eagles) & 2nd rd pick(from Cardinals via Chiefs)
    Eagles acquire RG JC Tretter(from Cardinals) & RT Eric Winston(from Cardinals)

Another 3 team deal in the 2017 offseason landed the Cardinals the shutdown cornerback they've been lokoing for ever since trading away Patrick Peterson. Davis became expendable with the Colts following their Superbowl run in which CB's Jonte Green and Cortez Allen showed they were ready for more playing time. The Eagles have been looking for o line help for a couple seasons and appear to finally have the pieces they were looking for as they come away with 2 very good o lineman.

Winner: I think the Cardinals came away winning this trade as Davis can take a team's best WR and shut him down for the game allowing the defense to focus on other guys. They also had depth on the o line so they will replace the 2 they traded away easily.

So what do you guys think?? Do you agree with some of my trade analysis? Am I totally off base and don't know wat the hell i'm talking about??? Feel free to comment below and tell me how much of an idiot I am and why you do or do not agree with me :D

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    • Like Like x 8
  2. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

I think the Titans clearly won their trade with the Jets. Especially since Smith went down with a head injury in week 1, thank God nothing serious. Lol. Only time will tell in this deal. Smith and Reeder's careers will be forever linked as we try and find out who is the better QB.

I agree with the Jags/Chiefs analysis. The Jags may have gotten Berry, but the Chiefs got almost as good a safety in return w/ Sands. And also got some other pieces to help them along the way, too.

Bengals/Lions one would have to say the Lions. Can AJ and Megatron coexist though will be the question here. You also have Justin Blackmon in the mix also, so it'll be up to M. Stafford to prove to us if he can spread the ball around enough and keep everyone happy.

I'll have to go with the Seahawks as well in the deal. Why? Because it's Jim, and they guy steadily rebuilds through the draft. This trade gave him not only salary cap friendly players, good ones at that, but more draft picks as well. heathh will be very happy to see that.

For now, I have to say the Cards won their trade. But depending on what the Colts do with their draft picks, they may become the clear cut winner in this one. The loss of Vontae is hurting them early I know, so they'll need their younger players to step up. Eagles got two really good line players too, but Vontae is a playmaker, and nothing beats a playmaker.

Good article Curtis!

• Like Like x 2
  3. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Pass that rock this way....must be some good stuff. Becket Shultz had 17 sacks in his rookie campaign. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

LMAO. I agree.

Great write up Curtis. I guess I made too many waves in the offseason with my splashed. The Jets are now 0-2 and looking down the barrel of a gun having to face the Ravens next week. Team Chemistry is down the shitter.

• Like Like x 1
  5. thafuture3886

sim stats don't count if you doesn't do it when it counts :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  6. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Well, he's off to a good start.

Stop picking on the weak. I'm 0-2 and your words hurt. :bigtears:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Coach KO

Coach KO Walk On

The way I looked at my trade was that I received two nearly 90ovr OL for 2 draft picks that werent likely going to be that good. Now I may have gotten on OL in the first round but considering my OL was hurting, it made sense. Hopefully the existing playmakers will continue to be just that.

• Like Like x 2
  8. CTfromDC

CTfromDC Where my money?

I think we made out pretty good. Trading AJ saved up money on a diva WR, you know how they get....It also allowed up to be such garbage, that we landed the 1st pick, and was able to trade that away for 3 starters, Isaiah Pead, Dwayne Gratz, LeRoy Reynolds

• Like Like x 1
  9. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

Nice evaluation...

• Like Like x 1
  10. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

(y)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Miki1369

Miki1369 Walk On

great job as always, here is all i have to say about that Seahawks deal... Jim got a stud in HB Conley with that 7th pick. Dude has 141 yards on 21 carries already.

Damn i was gonna pick him with the 8th pick, but its cool i got a stud WR in Mann instead....

• Like Like x 3
  12. Michael Overman

Michael Overman Walk On

Great stuff…I think the Jets have to be happy about getting Harvin…but the record doesn't reflect that yet…Harvin is a game changer/ play maker

Jags getting Berry is brilliant, and also helped KC

lots of win win type trades

Nice work thafuture3886

• Like Like x 1
  13. AveryB

AveryB Walk On

(y)(y)

• Like Like x 1
  14. dablakpope

dablakpope Walk On

Nice write up

• Like Like x 1
  15. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

Late to the party, I read but haven't had the chance to reply...Great analysis Curtis!

I have to agree that this trade was dead even. Two of the most valuable positions on a team are franchise QB and elite pass rusher and that's what the Titans and Jets got here respectively. If anything I would give the Jets the edge because they didn't lose anything at the QB position and still got the pick that turned into that pass rusher. Hell, I almost selected Schultz myself!

I have to agree with leaning towards the Chiefs due to the number of holes the were able to fill. But it is hard to argue with adding a player like Eric Berry.

Also agreed here. The Lions were shopping Reiff for a while, and to end up bringing back an elite receiver like Green was a coup.

The Seahawks gave up some big time talent, but gave them some much needed cap flexibility. The Giants got the thumper they wanted in the secondary and the Jets got an elite weapon on offense and special teams. No team was a loser in this deal, but I gotta give my Hawks the edge as well. We not only gained some starters in the deal, but the cap flexibility allowed us to make many more moves in the offseason.

Once again I agree that the Cardinals have the edge in this deal. They got the best player involved in the trade, and he alone makes them a bigger contender in the NFC this year. Not to be overlooked though are the Eagles shoring up their o-line and the Colts adding multiple high picks.

Again, well done Curtis! Glad to see stuff like this!

• Like Like x 3
  16. Easy Dez It

Easy Dez It Walk On

Great pick as well Rams front office had an eye or 3 on Mann!

17. thafuture3886

Didn't feel like making another post...

Titans/Jets trade ThaBayouChef klaximilian
    Titans receive QB Geno Smith - 2344 passing yards, 61.2%, 17 td and 15 int, 91.4 rating, 190 rushing yards and 7 td, SEASON ENDING INJURY
    Jets receive QB Taray Reader - 2118 passing yards, 65.3%, 12 td and 9 int, 96.4 rating, 91 rushing yards and 2 td, SEASON ENDING INJURY
    DE Becket Schultz - 32 tackles, 4 sacks

Sticking to my original thought and I feel both teams came away winners on this deal. When healthy, Smith was a dynamic weapon in the Titans offense. Reeder filled in admirably for Smith but Schultz's production did not equal up to his talent.

Jaguars/Chiefs trade CHUNKNESS redlishus
    Jags receive SS Eric Berry - 76 tackles, 1 sack, 2 FF, 1 int
    Chiefs receive WR Brice Butler - 32 catches, 688 yards and 3 td
    SS Robert Sands - 53 tackles, 1 sack, 1 FF and 2 int
    RT Rayell Goodell - 1539 team rushing yards

Chiefs have come out victorious in this trade as the 3 players all made an impact. Eric Berry had a good season as well but not enough to counter losing 3 players with starting potential.

Bengals/Lions trade CTfromDC heathh
    Bengals receive LT Riley Reiff - 1063 team rushing yards
    WR Marc Middleton - 33 catches, 693 yards and 4 td

Lions receive WR AJ Green - 61 catches, 1197 yards and 3 td

I still say Lions won this trade overall. Green formed the most feared WR duo with Megatron and helped spearhead the 5th passing offense in the league. For the Bengals, Marc Middleton had a decent season but compared to what they lost it seems average.

Jets/Giants/Seahawks klaximilian cry_havoc LtJustice
    Jets receive WR Percy Harvin - 39 catches, 891 yards and 7 td
    WR David Gettis - 4 catches for 52 yards, SEASON ENDING INJURY

Giants receive SS Kam Chancellor - 42 tackles, 3 sacks, 4 FF, 5 int
    1st rd pick from 2017???
    1st rd pick 2018

Seahawks receive WR Keliko Ambles - 34 catches, 666 yards, 8 td
    TE Adrian Robinson - 30 catches, 454 yards, 4 td
    SS/CB Verley Ardizone - 5 tackles
    1st rd pick SS Garrison Saint - 52 tackles, 1 sack, 6 picks

The Seahawks came away as winners in this trade as they came away with 3 starters including the DROY in Garrison Saint. Harvin was a great weapon when healthy but unfortunately he couldn't stay healthy long enough. Chancellor had a great season and was a force in the secondary.

*can change depending on who Giants chose with their 1st rd pick in 2017*

Cardinals/Colts/Eagles Miki1369 thafuture3886 Coach KO

Cardinals receive CB Vontae Davis - 42 tackles, 3 int, 21st ranked passing defense
    Colts receive 1st rd pick SS Trevance Serratos - 50 tyackles, 2 FF, 3 int
    2nd rd pick CB Martaze Bourne - 4 tackles, 1 int
    2nd rd pick WR Broughan Arriola - N/A
    Eagles receive RG JC Tretter - 1983 team rushing yards(6th)
    RT Eric Winston - 1983 team rushing yards(6th)

Tough to call who won this trade. Vontae Davis had a decent year but as a whole the Cardinals pass defense was below average. The Colts found their safety of the future and their pass defense was still 4th in the league. The Eagles had one of the leagues best rushing offenses but it's hard to quantify an offensive lineman's worth in stats.

• Like Like x 6
  18. CTfromDC

CTfromDC Where my money?

I like this thread and idea, may have to steal it, my 2 cents below.

I tend to look at it a lil differently, kinda hard to say decide who made out the best after one season...Lions went 9-7 in prior user season, 5-11 with AJ this season (AJ has been placed on the block already after one season)....Bengals improved overall record by 1 game. Middleton led the team in receiving yards. Both Middleton and Reiff have resigned to long term deals that will keep them Bengals for the cycle...AJ looks to be a piece of meat that is being passed around like a whore to the highest bidder....Just a different perspective..I'm sure Heath wouldn't change anything, neither would I :D

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  19. thafuture3886

I can only tell so much from daddy leagues lol..thanks for the persepective though, it definitely helps as i can only tell so much from the outside

Agreed about judging only after 1 season..bored at work though lol

20. heathh

heathh Walk On

Yea hes a awesome receiver!

Also to add, I had 2 WR over 1,000 yrds and a slot WR over 600 yds.

PRODUCTION I MUST SAY!

I need Defense so that is why hes On The Block! I gotta move him to help my Defense. Or else I would keep him.

Thanks Carl, I tried! Lol

• Like Like x 1
  21. CTfromDC

CTfromDC Where my money?

After 4 long Madden 25 seasons of pressing me to trade him to u, you just throw the guy aside....shameful man, shameful :cool:...He is a Georgia Bulldog maneeee!

• Like Like x 2