Inside Zone

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by BobJr, Jan 20, 2011.

1. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    Welcome to the Inside Zone. A weekly feature with guests talking about their tribulations and triumphs in the BFR world. Let's get rolling!

[​IMG]

@H22APWRD94

Coach H22, you are Mr.Iowa in this league. Besides being from there what is it you love about the Great State? How long have you been a fan of Iowa?
    Let's talk about your season some. How is your feeling after a few weeks? A few years ago you were in the National Championship. Can you get back there, and who could lead you to the promise land this season?
    Along with being Mr.Iowa you are a good recruiter. You have been known to scour the country for unknown talent, and you've always developed players well. Tell us about some of your top recruits this year, and over the last few years. Which recruits have done well for you and which ones have been disappointments?
    Finally Coach, you are a great contributor to TSO. What do you look forward to down the road for this league, and for our site?

2. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Actually Bob, I am not even from Iowa. I grew up in Pennsylvania and lived there up until I was almost 20. I went to college in Virginia and met my wife there. Just happens that she was from Iowa. I moved to Iowa in December of 1999, and have been here ever since. I started watching the Hawkeyes in basketball with Coach Steve Alford, Jacob Jakes, Duez Henderson, and Mr. Basketball, Dean Oliver. From there I started watching football with my brother in law who was an Iowa grad, and I became hooked. Kirk Ferentz was part of the reason I loved the Hawkeyes. His style and demeanor are something that is really almost non existent in the younger coaches of today. So, to answer your second question, just over 12 years now.

The team is looking pretty good. A main concern for me coming into this season was the defense. They have played extremely well, especially in the secondary. The front seven is very young, but they have made some big plays. I don't have a real impact guy up front, but they are solid the whole way. On offense, it is almost the opposite. I am left trying to decide which weapon I want to use. The running game is particularly deep, having 4 runningbacks that could start at almost any D1 school. At wide receiver, there is some talent, but the young guys are still growing and the seniority of the corp is a junior. The offensive line is the real juggernaut. Those beefeaters up front allow me to play offense the way I want to. The open some great running lanes, and they give ample tim to QB A.J. Derby to run this offense.

Season 1 was kind of a bad year for recruiting for me. I had a few guys that were able to step into roles this season, but a large portion of them will be career backups. On offense, RB Hiram Wall had to take the biggest step forward after his redshirt season. Working with guys like Coker and Hampton, Wall really stepped his game up to the point where he will be on the depth chart next season as a sophomore, and will see a decent amount of carries. On defense, OLB Jon Harper redshirted last season and will be a four year starter for us.

Season 2 saw a much better class come in, along with some great pickups near signing day. I was able to lock up a JUCO wide receiver, Blaine McCoy, that has come in and made an immediate impact as the #2 on the depth chart. We also were fortunate to find some great talent in the secondary, a couple guys that are redshirting, CB's Logan Gore and Keenan Smith, and CB Kyle Brooks and SS Joel Dukes that are on the field now.

This league was the league I started out with on TF. I was able to get my beloved Hawkeyes in a great format that had us battling other conference opponents for a chance to go to the Rose Bowl year in and year out. It was made even better by a great group of guys that had passion for the teams they were playing with. The league went almost the distance until the release of 2011, and I was invited to join Saturday Heroes when they had a spot open up. When I look at those two leagues now, there is not much that separates them. I see BfR being the next SH.

As far as the site is concerned, I like the direction our hosts are guiding us. The guys that started this site have worked hard to keep it within their original vision, and continue to work towards the goal of making it the best way to find a great "sim" game with as many people as you can count.

3. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    Great answers man..thanks!

4. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]
    @Controllerabuser​
    What drew you to the Ohio State? Was it recruiting, tradition...? How have you built on the principals of the university?​
    After the loss to USC, how has you and your players regrouped? What, if anything, changed following the week of your loss?​
    Which players have stepped up and become impact players? What have they done to get more playing time?​
    Coach, you have a huge game coming up this week. How has the campus been during your preparation for this game, and what will it take to beat Penn State?​
    Since you are a huge fan of Minnesota, how bad does it pain you to beat them? Do you think you will ever be the coach at the University you love so much?​

5. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

6. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    Nice work Tiger woods.... Errrr CA

7. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]

@NDCOLTS1979

Since you just left the Oregon State for a better opportunity at a school you have been known to love, how did OSU treat you the last year or so? Anything you regret not completing while at OSU?

Tell us the story behind your love affair with Illinois?

You just arrived but is there anything on your recruiting board that you are excited about? Anybody you are excited about on the roster that can really step up and contribute this year or for years to come?

What are some key games coming up this season for you? How will you approach these games?

8. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

9. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]

@_MG_

Well let me be the first to welcome you. Now you are in a great league with great competitors, so how do you plan on being a part of Bowlin' For Roses? Also, tell us a bit about yourself and what you expect from BFR?

With you coming in midseason, and following a pretty damn good coach, what do you want to accomplish with the Beavers this season? Are you planning on sticking with them next year?

You have wanted to be in BFR for a while, what has been appealing about it?

10. controllerabuser

Welcome to BfR, @_MG_

[​IMG]

MAKE THE STATE OF OREGON PROUD!

11. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:

12. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

[​IMG]

oh....welcome!

13. controllerabuser

HAHA.. I had to get this great rivalry going!

MG, great start to BfR, great stuff in your answers.

14. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:

I forgot to mention, my number one goal here is to​
    [​IMG]

15. DC

DC Shake n Bake

@_MG_

What are your dream teams?

16. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    Michigan State (still a chance I transfer there to finish up my degree) and/or Iowa would be the only two teams that would really make me want to switch.

17. controllerabuser

This pic is badass

[​IMG]

18. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]

@Emmdotfrisk

You've had an up and down season. Has there been anything you can hang your hat on and build with for the future? Anything been disappointing for you?

What made you want to be Arizona State? What was the "appeal" about the University?

You have recruited an extremely tall S, nicknamed the Buzzard by some. Do you have any major plans for him in the immediate future? Is there anybody you are real excited about that you have recruited the last couple of years?

How does it feel to see some of the recruits that you recruited in year one now get a chance to play for the national championship under Coach CA?

Is there anything you'd like to add, maybe something BFR can do to become better?

Thanks for your time!

19. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

@controllerabuser

Coach CA, it has been a tough past couple of weeks. Coming off of winning the National Championship last season, what were your expectations for this season?

What is the future for this Buckeyes team? Are you settled at quarterback, or is there a JUCO that may work in as the starter next season?

Your defense performed some miracles last season, what is the difference this year compared to last?

They let up 14 4th quarter points to the Hawkeyes, then let up 21 total against PSU, and those were the only points scored. Is there an X-factor that is missing, or just some bad breaks?

You have a hell of a recruiting class in the works. Anybody that looks like a day 1 starter, or are they all going to be developing next season?

Finally, any word on the sweatervest? Is it making a comeback, or are you just wearing it because your wife won't buy you anything else?

20. controllerabuser

Well, we had high expectations. We knew it was going to be tough but we have a good team. Taylor Graham led this team last year unfortunately he hasn't performed as well this year.

We have a juco coming in that could make the start next year but we will always recruit a quarterback if they are good and want to come here.

Teams have took us very serious this year. I don't know what to say, we have a good defense. We did lose some guys but overall we have the same amount of talent.

I don't want to give excuses and make it seem like those teams didn't beat us because they earned it. They out coached us, out played us flat out.

I don't have my sheet on me but I do know we have some kids who have the potential to start.

The sweater vest is a good luck charm. Think we need to change it because our luck ran out.