Interesting read

Discussion in 'The Dirty Dozen' started by DirtycashDylan, Oct 9, 2011.

1. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

2. nikpin

nikpin Universitas Brunensis

Yea I love those rehash articles that Rivals post from time to time that looks back upon how 5* or entire classes fared. I think Rivals overall has gone down as a site and those are some of the few articles worth even reading.

3. nikpin

Out of boredom went back and looked at how the UT :5stars: are doing.

2010: Jackson Jeffcoat & Jordan Hicks. Only Sophomores but both are starting at positions young guys typically don't have a huge impact at. Hopefully they develop into big time play makers as both guys could leave after big Junior seasons which would be a win win for both sides.

2009: Alex Okafor, Garret Gilbert & Mason Walters. Okafor has 0 sacks this season and 4.5 over his career. Disappointing. The highlight of Gilbert's career was the 2nd half in the NC game against Bama. He's transferring. It's hard to evaluate offensive linemen as individuals unless they are awful. The Texas O-Line has been okay this season and Walters is playing RT though his more natural fit might be at guard. Overall he's probably under performed slightly as compared to his Rivals ranking but is only a (RS)Sophomore.

2008: The year OU raided Texas and got Stephen Good, RJ Washington & Jeremie Calhoun. Really none of those guys has lived up to the hype so not a huge loss for Texas. RJ has 2 career sacks as a (RS)Junior. Calhoun never really was able to establish himself and then blew out his knee and was passed by several times over and decided to transfer. I thought Good would be an absolute beast and has proven otherwise. He's started some but is only starting as a Senior due to injury.

2007: Tray Allen & Curtis Brown. Tray Allen is not very good. Another guy that is probably better suited for guard but is playing left tackle. Just a massive let down as he's a bad player on a mediocre line. Curtis Brown was a 3rd round draft pick and his most disappointing season was his Senior year.

This is why you have 5-7 and 55-17. Not a one of these guys has had the impact you would have wanted with Jeffcoat and Hicks still having the opportunity to live up to the hype.

4. DirtycashDylan

Yeah, the year of the bust. The worst is Calhoun with his transfer. Even before he blew out his knee, he wasn't getting PT. Good can bench press a truck but can't move his feet, but OU is deep at OL and Good is in the 2 deep rotation that fully rotates. RJ is finally in the DE 4 man rotation over some really good younger guys and is starting to make some plays.

So I'd say Calhoun was a full bust and the other two were big disappointments.

5. nikpin

Yea I don't know how Rivals missed so badly on Calhoun. I want to say he said Texas was his leader with OU #2 but then Texas slow played him b/c they didn't think he would qualify. Then they just stopped recruiting him and he committed to OU. A 5* RB should be a guy that can step on campus and immediately contribute and he was never really that guy.

I remember Qwon showed me that video of Good benching a million pounds in high school and I was sold! I thought he would make a solid Guard once OU moved him inside but apparently not. I remember he grew up a Texas fan but pretty much had OU/Texas even and committed early.

I thought RJ was going to be the best of the group and he actually went to High school like 15 minutes from Grapevine at a high school that was in our district. He committed really really early to OU and there was pretty much no battle.

It's crazy to see how all of these kids actually turn out as I actually followed recruiting pretty hardcore back then.

6. DirtycashDylan

It's crazy for me to see where those guys came from in relationship to where I live now. I had assumed RJ was from around Houston for some reason. Before living here, I'd see 'Keller, TX' and think it was probably like Odessa or something. Or towns like Haltom City, are you kidding me? That sounds like some small town Friday Night Lights shit. (For those that don't live in TX, there are a ton of suburbs between and around Dallas and Ft Worth. It feels like some only cover a few square miles.)

7. Full Moon Fever

Full Moon Fever Champion of Standards

I scouted Jackson Jeffcoat a lot when I was at SLC. He was dominant in HS when he wanted to be, but he was also one of the laziest DL you've ever seen. He was so good that it was easy to see when he took plays off. I was never real impressed with him and we did t have much trouble blocking him 1-on-1 at SLC. If he matures he's got the tools to be a stud. But I wouldn't content on that happening.

8. nikpin

Yea his highlight film was one of the best I had seen for a d-linemen where he would explode off the ball quick enough that the tackle wouldn't even get his hands on him. But you also heard the knock that he pretty much coasted on his athleticism.

9. nikpin

People from Keller normally don't have corn rows so I can see where you were going with that.