Interesting Trade Information

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Shaun Mason, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    So, I was curious about how often trades actually occur in the NFL. Here is a list of trades since January 1, 2012 (so this offseason thus far)

Offseason (January through August)
    • Bruce Campbell (T) traded (for rb mike goodson).
    • Drew Stanton (QB) traded (with 7th-round pick for 6th-round pick).
    • Tim Tebow (QB) traded (for 4th- and 6th-round picks in 2012).
    • DeMeco Ryans (LB) traded (for 4th-round pick in 2012).
    • Winston Justice (T) traded (for 6th-round pick in 2012).
    • Brandon Marshall (WR) traded (for 3rd round pick in 2012 and 2013).
    • Asante Samuel (CB) traded (for 7th round pick in 2012).
    • Keith Rivers (LB) traded (for 5th-round pick in 2012).
    • Cassius Vaughn (CB) traded (for fb chris gronkowski).
    • Kellen Winslow (TE) traded (for 7th round pick in 2013).
    • Brian Price (DT) traded (for undisclosed 2013 draft pick).
    • Louis Murphy (WR) traded (for undisclosed conditional draft choice).
    • D.J. Johnson (CB) traded (for dt ollie ogbu).
    NFL Draft
    • Overall selections - 253
    • Total Trades - 102
    • Trades involving players during the draft - 1
    I also looked at trades DURING the last NFL season and there were less than 5.

Does the lack of trading outside the draft surprise anyone? How about how infrequently players were involved in trades on draft day?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  2. bawvu97

bawvu97 Let's Goooooo Mountaineers

Featured Threads:
    Obviously the NFL needs to contact us the owners of tmfl for guidance

3. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

Doesn't surprise me at all. Trades are a rarity in the NFL and when someone does get traded, it for no more than a 3rd round pick.

4. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

The low number of trades doesn't surprise me at all. Maybe a little less than I thought but really something you never hear about because as you pointed out there are not that many. To me the NFL has always been more of a draft and free agency league especially in recent memory.

5. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I dont know that I'm surprised really. I think everyone understands that this isn't the NFL and its an entirely different dynamic when it comes to managing a team.

In the NFL coaches and GMs are brought in and I'm sure some consideration is given to "fit" whereas here we just pick our favorite teams or maybe not even that - maybe those guys were just assigned to teams.

My point I guess is just that guys want to shape teams a little bit more actively than the average GM in the NFL does - or at least at a quicker pace. Hopefully having REAL salary cap penalties and such this year will corral some of the trading but I still expect to see quite a bit more than the NFL.

As always, I really don't care what we do. I'm good with whatever - just adding my two cents.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Not surprised at all, projecting players from one scheme to another in real life is difficult, and continuity/chemistry is more important in football than in any other sport, which is why player/player trades are so infrequent.

7. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

I follow the NFL year around, so no surprise here.

Big difference between these leagues and the NFL is that the way the drafts are done in leagues mostly prohibits draft day trading. So much of that trading is done before or after the draft to secure picks/players. However, when you dont actively know who is available at the pick being drafted for, as a team would in the real draft, more players are traded here because they are the known commodity.

8. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Thats how it goes

9. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

Definitely not surprised. The NFL moves at a fast pace in the offseason and right around the trade deadline.

10. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

I'm not surprised either. I think the argument pro high frequency tmfl traders were trying to make was that they were sure if the GMs of the teams were able to trade as easily as we could, they would do more trading. If we want to maintain realism, I understand that side as well.

11. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I think it is going to be much easier to trade on draft day.

12. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    So why is it easier to trade in our league relative to the NFL?

13. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Well as we all know, the NFL draft occurs over a period of 3 days, whereas our draft lasts roughly 2 hours. With a 60 or 90 second timer, it is tough to wheel and deal draft picks. I think the amount of player trades compensates for that to a degree. In the NFL, they have a position of need and sees a guy they like slide to a position they can move up to, so they pull the trigger. We just dont have that dynamic as available to us.

Players and draft picks are known commodities. We have actual tangible ratings to go by. It is much more of a crapshoot in the NFL. But with potential busts and gems this year, draft picks should be more valuable. Before, picks after the 2nd or 3rd round werent worth much. Certainly no one wouldve traded Brandon Marshall for a 3rd.

14. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Trading in the nfl will pick up IMO since the rookie cap will allow teams to move those second and third year players that are not doing for one team.

The non-guaranteed contracts of the NFL really gives teams the power to cut a guy without much financial punishment other than the cap hit. In other sports teams are stuck with Rashad Lewis bad deal so cutting him is not worth it. So no one wants to trade for a bad nfl contract when they can just wait for the guy to be cut.

15. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

• In real life, players don't have tangible ratings. It is much harder to look at a player and project how he will transition into a new offense or defense. Plus, in real life the way the players play aren't limited to attributes and it's much wider than that.
    • It the game, you could resign players as long as you had the cap space. In real life, players can go wherever they want when their contract is up. If it's a trade with a long contract, the trading team takes a cap hit. If it's short, the receiving team might not have them for long.
    • The drafts have let you know exactly what you're going to get. In real life, teams can get people who can contribute right away in rounds 1-3 and they might develop into very good players. Outside of the first 40 or so players, most of the players last year weren't anything special, so people had no problems trading away rounds 2-7.
    • When I joined, it was known that there'd only be a couple seasons, so this devalued picks even more.
    • In the game, people don't have to worry about how the players feel or how the fans feel. Trading your starting QB in real life is going to have fans very upset. If you trade willy nilly in real life, it will hurt locker room chemistry and people are probably less likely to join you in FA.
    • Owners aren't necessarily willing to shove out big money when they're not going to be competing for a Super Bowl or at least the playoffs.
    There's just a lot of factors that they have to worry about in real life that aren't applicable to the game. Especially add in that there are 32 new management groups. I guarantee that there would be a flurry of trading if you had all new groups of people taking over teams, trying to get the personnel that they wanted, and such... though probably not the volume of trades that get done now.
    -
    Semi related question: Will the TC be voting based on real life stuff, or in-game type stuff? Brandon Marshall for a 3rd or Asante Samuel for a 5th certainly would not have gone through last year.

16. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    1. In Madden 13 players don't have tangible ratings that are global. Every system will value players differently.
    2. You don't get unlimited try's in Madden 13, I imagine people will end up pissing some guys off.
    3. In Madden 13, you won't know much about a lot of recruits.
    4. We will play 9-10 seasons.
    5. I wish there was chemistry.
    6. Touche.

As for TC, this post was a gauge on an idea I had. Looking at the responses, my idea won't work.

17. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

I was just mentioning stuff from the past since that is the experience I have with that. I would guess with those changes trades are more likely to go down a bit (especially if ratings fluctuate... if were talking about the same thing, anyway) if you can't predict it. Who knows, though.

Kind of curious to know what the idea was. I don't know that people not being surprised or tossing up reasons as to why it is necessarily means that people aren't interested in a system that is more realistic if it can be done in a way that isn't overbearing.

18. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    My idea was to not have a TC, but I don't think people will be realistic in their moves.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Amen, brother.

I haven't played Madden, but if they added a chemistry rating that either improved or lowered overall team performance based on the amount of time played together and overall success, it would make the game a far more realistic representation of NFL football.