internet connection question

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by BDSDIGITAL, Jul 27, 2011.

1. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Just curious:

At my old place there were some people I could connect with through a wired connection to my wireless router (kind of acting as a switch) but then some guys I had to plug straight into the modem. Either way I could connect with 95% of the world.

At my new place my connection is much more complicated. I have my modem in a family room. I have that running into a D Link Ethernet broadband router (no wireless). From that switch I have a few lines running through the walls into some other rooms. One of those rooms is my game room.

Now this is where it gets tricky.

I have my xbox and a desktop cpu in the game room. When I first moved in last week I took the cord running into the game room from the wall, put it into the Linksys Wireless Router and then ran lines from the router to the cpu and the xbox.

The router is important because we have a few laptops and a few i phones in the house that we want to be able to get wireless obviously. So the Linksys has to stay.

But my success rate at connecting online has dropped to about 50% on a good day. I haven't been able to connect to my last 4 opponents actually. My nat settings are open in the router and I know the router is configured right. So today I removed the Linksys as the "switch" and got a netgear 8 port broadband router, plugged the line coming out of the wall into that, then ran 1 line to my xbox, 1 line to the cpu, and 1 line to the Linksys. So the Linksys isn't connected to my xbox anymore, it's only purpose at this point is wireless access for mobile devices.

At my old place it was much more simple. It was the wire coming out of the wall in the den, into the modem, and then into the wireless router.

If you followed all that my question to you is this:

a. Could my problem at the new place have been having the original line from the modem going from a D Link to a Linksys? They have different gateways. D Link & Netgear are 192.168.0.1 and Linksys is 192.168.1.1. Also the wireless router isn't necessarily made to act as a switch like that. I chose a netgear due to it having the same gateway as the D Link.

or b. Could it be as simple as my wireless router fire walls getting in my way? I had the proper ports open, enabled the pnp and even tried giving the xbox a static ip and make a corresponding dmz in the router and none of it improved my luck. Actually, trying the DMZ gave my nat moderate status.

I had MaxATX34 try to connect with me just a little bit ago. He was not able to connect with me at my old place, but we connected fine today. Which leads me to believe either a or b is my answer.

Any opinions on this? I'll appreciate all responses from those of you that are much more efficient with this stuff than I.

2. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

So you're basically doing this ...

Internet > Cable Modem > Router > Wireless Router > Xbox ?

I've never had a network that complicated, but my immediate question is whether you've opened the ports and have the right settings on that first router? I don't think setting up your wireless router means much if that first router also doesn't have the right ports open and other settings.