Internet connection speed help.

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Jeremy, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

Internet connection speed help.

My family and I will be moving to our new home in the next week or so and I am having to go with a new ISP that can support online gaming. I will be moving to a rural area and my options are very limited. Easiest answer would be Hughesnet or some other satellitle provider. Problem is I have heard that satellite cannot support online gaming due to the latency issues.

I may have come across a company that offers cable internet, Suddenlink. Their website states their max speed in "selected areas" is up to 20mpbs. Is that fast?? They also claim that for non selected areas, speeds around 6-10mpbs are available. Can I online game at those speeds?

Does anybody have any suggestions on another route to take?

I live in South Central Louisiana.

2. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

One huge problem with satellite type internet is the upload speed. With gaming involving upload and download connection speeds, go with Suddenlink. Even if 20 mbps (which is quite fast) is not your top speed in your area ("selected areas" are always not in your area lol), the upload speeds will be thousands of times faster than Hughesnet satellite service that you might not be able to game online with Hughesnet.

Go Suddenlink. No contest, unless Hughesnet improved drastically from when I used to sell the service back in my selling days at the golden price tag. Hughesnet is great for casual internet use, but gaming is about fourth on its top 3 good things it does.

3. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Something I did not add is that typical connection speeds for cable access is about 6-10 mbps. Cable modem is the fastest (short of having a T1 connection) connection out there, then DSL, then satellite, for gaming purposes. Of course, it does depend on how you are hooking up as to how fast you will ultimately go on the net with your PS3.

If you can hook up wired to a router/cable modem, that is by far the best way. If you have any questions though Jeremy just chat me up via AIM. I don't know a ton, but I know some.

4. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

Tests ran from Speedtest.net say i run about 4mbps at the peak times and about 6-8 at of peak, Not even close to the fasted service you can get, but runs madden quite well, I only run into problems when it drops into the 1 and 2 mbps if they are doing work in the area.

Hell of a deal for 19.99/month in a comcast dominated market.

5. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

[​IMG]
    @peak a couple mins ago
    .33 upload concerned me at first but i dont really see any difference between this and what i had with comcast, Just when i go to pay the bill i dont have to wait in line for an hour and when i need support im not put on hold for an hour just to say it will be a couple days...

6. coachgaddy

coachgaddy Mega 49ers, OMFL Pats

Get that connection straight before you play me in the playoffs Ox don't want know excuses.

[​IMG]

7. Jeremy

gaddy, is your verizon connection hard wired into your home our is it some type of wireless cell-type connection?

8. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

[​IMG]
    dude, gaddy how is yours so fast man? i never have issues with m net, and mines slow compared to you.

9. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

lol, being in the DC area im sure you get alot more speed then most of us in the sticks....

If i wanted to pay double i could get as high as 15... but as long as it keeps madden chugging along its fine with me.

What amazes me is 20mps UPLOAD, thats godly for upload with every ISP battling p2p and HD everything.

10. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Gaddy ur upload speed is nuts!

[​IMG]

11. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

Oh yeah gaddy, as for the excuses, I beat you 4 times and your the one that threw excuses at me. Classic one for everyone. "Ox, my girlfriend left me right in the middle of the game. Your so lucky. I had you." Gaddy then proceeds to step down from mega for the season (i was 4 games up on him and it was OVER) and then all of sudden gaddy comes back with a "fiancee" when the OMFL season 2 starts up....

RRRRIIIIGGGGGGGHHHHHHHTTTTT gaddy, the only excuse you will hear is your own when you say "i would have beat you if i had moss boo hoo hoo hoo hoo"

12. coachgaddy

Actually that first run was nearby in VA which is about 45 min away. Here is MD to Cali.

[​IMG]

13. coachgaddy

I have Verizon Fios

14. maij17

maij17 PSN: MAIJ17

I did a couple of test with some of the areas you guys are in with my qwest connection, I get faster the further east I go from denver and slow as hell out west to cali, lol

15. Jeremy

As anyone ever experimented with using a wireless laptop aircard to connect with ps3?

I have read numerous reports where it is pretty simple.

16. Big D

Big D Walk On

[​IMG]

Wow...how is my upload so shitty while my download so fast! Liberty Lake is literaly 10 mins away.