1. If you haven't seen already, TSO is now powered by Discord! This means that we will eventually be disbanding the embedded chat on the main forum page. Head to this page to learn more on how to integrate your TSO account with discord! https://traditionsportsonline.com/wiki/discord-integration/

Internet Issues

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by bcduggan, Jun 25, 2011.

1. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

I know when playing online there will be some lag. Any suggestions on how to limit extreme amounts of lag. NCAA Football 11 has had a lot of lag during most of my games and it makes most of the user games unplayable.

I use a wireless connection. I have to use it though. There is no other internet provider out here. The wireless connection is thru a hotspot box that is located in the laundry room of the apartment building

Taken from computer:

My normal speeds are 2-2.5 download, .5-1.25 upload.

ping is usually .45-.75 ms, jitter is between .14-.30 ms

I know the numbers will be different(most likely lower) on PS3.

Have 2 ps3s and a computer online but can only have 2 online at a time due to only being 2 channels, not sure if channel is right word.

Last game I played online both ps3s were online but when wife shut down hers around halftime, I did not notice any difference in lag.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Your problem is likely that you're using wireless, bottom line.

3. SuperBowlNachos

SuperBowlNachos Walk On

The wireless. Horrible for sports games. I don't even like to use the wireless from my router which is only like 30 feet away.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

If there is absolutely no way you can avoid wireless, I suggest a new Cisco E1200 router + WET610N bridge. This should bridge the gap and provide a better solution to your current issues.

5. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Listen to Randy, he is likely the most knowledgeable networking person on the site...including myself.

6. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I'll settle for top 10

7. Steamer43

Steamer43 Cleveland Steamer

Just a heads up for those using AT&T. My internet got knocked off a few times so I called customer service. They said there was a large amount of usage in my area making the connection occasionally bad. Said it would be fixed in 1-2 months but gave me a 10$ monthly discount for a year. If you have a similar problem with them call in and get your $$$

8. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

i agree about wired. if you plan on being in a league you really need to make sure you're wired up.

IMO people also don't consider geographic location enough - especially when picking a time for the game. being in Boston (almost as far east as you can go in the US unless you're in Maine) I noticed a huge difference in lag when playing guys out on the west coast. trying to play a game before 9 p.m. Eastern against somebody at the other end of the country is a big no-no.