Internet Question

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Gyrene76, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Gyrene76

Gyrene76 What does the fox say?

(I posted this also at TMFL)

As you many of you know, I am in the process of a move from Alabama to Tennessee. My new apartment is full of boxes and my wife and I are very excited to get our new baby situated.

However, yesterday, I was floored by a problem that is making me a little upset that I was not told by my landlord. I went to my local Comcast (only cable internet option) to turn on service at my apartment. That's when the guy at the desk looks up my address and tells me...

"I'm sorry sir, this is not a serviceable apartment. Your landlord would have to pay $1,248 to install a 6' telephone wire to your apartments."

:eek:

Here is the kicker. The apartments are very good location and only about 2,000 feet from the main drag. Not to mention, this is a new apartment complex that only has 4 connected apartments. I am apartment D. APARTMENT A & B are serviceable, but C&D are not?!

I called my landlord, and she apologized for not telling me...smh. Yeah, that was sort of important. She said my only option is AT&T and Dish. I looked them up, and they are in fact the same thing (they work together to make a package apparently.)

This is the best package I can get -

[​IMG]

This is 24 MBPS less than what I had with Comcast. Is 6 MBps serviceable to play online games, or will I constantly lag?

2. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

I think you will be fine. I have the basic package but I guess mine runs a little faster. If your ping is not too bad you should be ok.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

Get a shovel and a long piece of CAT-7 wiring.... Wait for dark, then go snip into bldg A & B. Problem solved.

There's plenty of youtube videos showing you how to do this. But you are going to watch these videos WITH internet access ;)

4. Gyrene76

haha, why do you know that?

5. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

I helped my brother in law do some "dirty" work a couple years back when he lived in a frat house. We stole his internet from the apt bldg next to him since the house wiring was a DISASTER. I was helping him move in but he was the tech junky -- I simply assisted in these activities. But it worked like a charm and he had free internet for 2 years.

6. Gyrene76

Nice, lol.

I think it's ridiculous - six feet of cable would solve the problem. Six feet of cable that costs $1200+

7. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

My real recommendation since I just bought a new house that I ran into similar issues of "not being in the grid" yet. I found a service tech in the area who was at his truck while on another service call. I simply approached him and started asking questions about my options and if he was willing to make a few bucks on the side. I asked how long it would take to run a said wire to connect me to the grid and if I could pay him cash. I gave him my cell and he called me the next day and said he would do it.

I called Comcast back the next day to ask about setting up another appt and BINGO - I was back on the grid!

Originally they told me it would be 2-3 weeks before they could send a service tech out to hook up my house. Although, it would not have cost me anything other than the $40 normal installation rate.

Don't know why it would cost you $1200.

-- This might be worth you while. Just throwing out suggestions

8. Gyrene76

That's pretty baller, I will honestly try this. Thanks man, my uncle has worked on telephone lines all his life. Granted he's in another state, but I'll see what he can do. Thanks Fmode, you've been a ton of help man. I will try this.

9. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

No problem, glad I could help. These techs are usually pretty helpful. This was not the first time I've had a tech help me out on the side, while on another "scheduled" appointment. I've offered this suggestion to other people and it has worked. Most tech know they are scamming people and hold resentment. If one says no, try another. Worst that will happen is they say no.

Plus I LOVE to stick it to the man, even if I have to sneak around the backdoor them idiots.

10. Gyrene76

haha, that's awesome.

I will be looking for one of these guys. My landlord may love may love me for it too if it works.

11. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

I had AT&T Dsl for a few months, because I'm in a new subdivision and cable hadn't made it this far yet. It played fine. I ran into a little lag when my wife would get on the computer at the same time. I connected straight to the 360, instead of doing wireless, which probably helped.