Internet questions PS3 related

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by bcduggan, Feb 5, 2013.

1. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

These are probably real easy, possibly stupid/common sense questions but I do not know the answers. Any help would be appreciated.

Background: My internet provider went completely wireless over a year ago. I know wireless isn't the most stable and such but I live in a one provider small town. My provider has been working on fixing the issue and finally fixed the problem. The good news is the primary(my) PS3 and our computer now has a wired connection. The other PS3 is uses a wireless connection.

The questions I have concern the IP address, router and DNS addresses

Should I manually set up the wired connection with the IP, router, and DNS addresses? Isn't it if I set up manually set up both with the same IP, router, and DNS addresses, then when both PS3s are online at same time the second login would kick the first login off the internet?

Also, should the default router and the primary DNS be the same address? If I auto input the addresses they come up the same for some reason.

Thanks

2. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Why not just use DHCP? I assume that all your devices (including both PS3's) are capable of this and all your IP addressing is handled automatically by your router.

3. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Your router has a huge range of available IP's. Why would you put two devices on the same IP? Like Keller said, you should be able to just use DHCP unless it's causing a NAT issue.

4. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

What is DHCP?

5. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
  6. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

I do not know if DHCP is available, I do not see it in the PS3 Internet connection settings.

Back to the original post

Should the default router and the primary DNS be the same address? If I auto input the addresses they come up the same for some reason.

When I auto input the addresses on the ps3 there is no secondary DNS address. Do I necessarily need the secondary DNS address?

7. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:

I was being funny before.:)

DHCP is something your router does. You turn it on, and it hands out IPs.

Use these for DNS if you are lazy (they are Google's DNS servers)

8. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

I know you were being funny before, I laughed when I saw the website come up.