Interview for Our OFFL West Coaches

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Hova, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Interview for Our OFFL West Coaches

Throw a little content in here before we get to the midway point of the season. Some Lame from yahoo Sports has questions to ask all of the coaches in the league. Feel free to quote your question and respond or just totally ignore the guy. (y)

Oregon - Tmac6412 - You have a huge game coming up this week against USC, they had a huge lost with the HB going down and they have problems on defense. Is this the year you get past USC and take the Pac-10? Also talk a little about HB James, Will this be his last season and how high do you see him going in the NFL draft?

UCLA - Recchem2000 - You have the least talent-wise on your roster when it comes to the OFFL West coaches, talk a little bit about your plan of success for the bruins and what your targeting on the recruiting trails.

Texas - Cnic75 - It's clear you are the favorite for the Title game in the West this season with only one user standing in your way, and possibly a User Champ Game. How did you get your team to this level of play and what are YOUR expectations for this season?

Nebraska - badgerme3 - You are the newest member of the West. What are your thoughts of the league so far? Also talk a little bit about your expectations in your rookie campaign.

Texas Tech - CWHarris1 - It's been a rough road in Red Raider nation but it looks like you are in the right track. TTU is famous for its high flying spread offense, Is this the direction you want to continue the program in and are these the type of players you are trying to bring Into Texas Tech?

Virginia Tech - DJ391 - What is the state of the Hokie program? I know you had some tough losses this season but the future looks bright. Talk a little about your huge signing of WR Tim Campbell and the future of the hokie backfield with your older HBs graduating soon.

Florida State
    - The Vredesbyrd - Things in Tallahassee are looking good so far this season minus one surprising lost. Talk about how successful your run game has been along with the solid QB Play. What are your expectations this season and what positions are you recruiting the hardest?

Miami - bravejaf - Do you feel the ACC is the conference to beat this season? Who do you have in the National Title this year? Also talk a little about your biggest targets on the recruiting trail.

Ohio State - Maslerboros16 - You also have an undefeated record in the West this year but still have a full conference schedule with 2 more users. Do you think the buckeyes have the talent this year to turn the tables and take the Big Ten? Also speak on the play of your young players and the future of the program.

Penn State - Hokie Effect - Things are not going as good as penn state fans expected this season, what do you feel is the biggest problem on your team? Also what direction are you trying to take the PSU Offense in the future?

Michigan
    - Big Suge Knight - Michigan is still trying to get over the hump and back to national glory. How far is this program from a title run and what is the recruiting scheme. Are you building around the spread or shifting back to power football like the old Michigan days?

Thanks for your time!
    - Some Lame
    - Yahoo Sports

2. Dj391

Dj391 Walk On

The losses will not affect us in any way shape of form for the rest of the year. We are totally focused on the same goal set at the beginning of the year which is to win the ACC Title, if it doesnt happen that way we will still be fighting for a BCS berth which is still pretty much within reach.

Tim Campbell will provide us with the big play WR we've lacked for years. Over the years our wideouts have been more possession than speed, but he is the total opposite. He catches the ball pretty decent but his speed is what opposing defenses will have to worry about on both kick return and at the slot position.

Our backfield is lacking in underclassman, David Wilson is a monster and hes only a junior. I know i will have some serious persuading to do when this off season comes because he will definately be a first rounder (maybe throw a couple hokie cheerleaders his way lmao). But we have our eye on what could be our rb of the future not going to disclose his name as hes not an official commit to our program, but he has a chance to play really early if Wilson leaves. If that doesnt work out hopefully the offseason brings another big recruit or their will always be next year.

3. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Do you feel the ACC is the conference to beat this season?

The ACC conference is loaded this season. Currently the conference boast 6 teams in the top 12 and of those 6 teams none has lost to a team outside the ACC. Clemson is the only team in that group without a loss but they have yet to face any of the top teams in the ACC. Florida State had a shocking loss to Boston College but has beaten Miami and Virginia Tech in recent weeks.

Who do you have in the National Title this year?

I have to go with Texas and Notre Dame for the title game. I don't see any games that will trip up either team. Notre Dame doesn't play any body this season so strength of schedule may be an issue. They will probably still get in because of their early season ranking and the tough schedules of other teams. Ohio State may have best shot to pass Irish but they have a much tougher schedule. USC and Miami game also could be big for title game picture if ND loses, assuming both teams can survive conference play.

Also talk a little about your biggest targets on the recruiting trail.

I'm not overly impressed with this year's recruits. For my current targets the most important is probably :5stars: Terrence Reid. He is the #2 receiver in the country and has pretty good all around numbers. We lose top 4 wide receivers after this season and have little talent to fill those voids. Reid will be asked to start immediately. Currently he has a verbal commit to play in Miami but we are hoping to lock him down in coming weeks.

Update: Reid signed his commitment to join Miami in week 8. He should be a big piece for next season's team.

4. Masler

Masler Moderator

Well Lame, I don't expect the Big 10 to be pushovers. No one ever is. It's going to be tough and I can't say we will go undefeated but if we can beat Penn State this season then I believe a Conference Title is a lock for us. Other user Michigan doesn't seem to be having much luck this year. I was hoping for more from him, he gave us a great game last year defeating us but recently lost to Iowa who has only won one game (Mich). All I can say is we are going to play each game like it's the game of our lives.

And as for our young players, all I can say is WOW. I never expected a freshman QB and WR to be such a dangerous duo. James is almost guaranteed open down field if he can get there. Most teams have him double covered by games end. Rhoden, our QB, came out of the gate like he's a Senior. Playing with such heart, never backing down and proving he's a true freshman.

Our future looks bright with these two on offense, but a couple gaps may come up and that is in our HB and CB position. We have Berry and Hyde both leaving after this season and I am trying to get a couple guys to join the team so we can keep a strong core of halfbacks. And with our 99 overall CB leaving it will leave a huge hole in our secondary but we do have backups and redshirted freshman. Our defense will be a good as ever.

5. tmac6412

tmac6412 Walk On

Oregon - Tmac6412 - You have a huge game coming up this week against USC, they had a huge lost with the HB going down and they have problems on defense. Is this the year you get past USC and take the Pac-10? Also talk a little about HB James, Will this be his last season and how high do you see him going in the NFL draft?

Anytime you play a team the caliber of a USC you better be ready for a fight no matter who is playing or hurt because the fact is that most of their second string players could be starters on a ton of other teams. With that said, this may be our best crack at USC for some time to come due to the amount of seniors we have playing at key positions.

And what can I say about LaMichael James? The kid is a fighter, now his name's been in the news recently for the wrong reasons, but I know he'll be ready to play come kickoff. He's not the biggest, fastest or most talented RB in the nation, but there is no one else I'd rather have running the ball for me right now. I see LJ having a great career in the NFL at the least I'd say he's a high second round pick.

6. Mike E

Mike E Earth Rocker

Florida State - The Vredesbyrd - Things in Tallahassee are looking good so far this season minus one surprising lost. Talk about how successful your run game has been along with the solid QB Play. What are your expectations this season and what positions are you recruiting the hardest?

Coach V: Yeah, that loss to Boston college was a real wake up call for our kids. After the emotional winn at USC, I think some of our guys may have gotten a bit too comfortable. BC came in and punched us in the face and we spent the rest of the game trying to recover.

The running game has been a bit of a surprise. When I took this job I knew we would have a lot of work to do on our offensive line as we lost 4 starters. Our four freshmen linemen have come in and really worked hard. It also helps when you have kids like Lonnie Pryor carrying the ball for you. That said, do not underestimate Ostrander either. He has a nice burst and can carry the load when asked.

From here on out, as usual our expectations are to win the ACC title. From there you never know how things will shake out. Our goal, the ACC. We will see how it works out in our conference. A rematch with either Virginia Tech or Miami is very likely. But lets focus on the rest of our schedule.

Thanks for your time.

7. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

I knew it would be hard to replace Newsome at QB this year. He was a once in a lifetime player. This years troubles come directly from the QB position. There was a battle for QB, but McGloin is now the unquestioned starter do due a season ending injury to Johnson. McGloin has played well now that he doesn't have to look over his shoulder.

I also haven't been able to establish a consistant running game this year. I would like to get back to a run oriented offense but I don't think this is the year. I do have 2 RB recruits that should make an immediate impact next season. Both run mid 4.3 40yds and should get the running game back on track.

8. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Well my playing strategy is to play ball control on offense. Run the ball, alot, and don't force passes into coverage. If you look at my games this season, my pre-game plan has not work out very well. We've been in some pretty high scoring games due to lack of speed and tackling on the defensive side of the ball. So, i have definately thrown the ball more than I would have liked so far this season. The turnover bug is killing us right now. Without looking we have got to be -10 at least in turnovers.

As far as recruiting goes, im looking for guys who can step in and add something we dont currently have on the team. We're looking to get faster so we can compete with the likes for USC and Oregon. Im a defense first kind of guy, so im really looking to get some quality guys in here to play some good, hard nosed defense for the Bruins. Time will tell if I actually accomplish any of that.

9. harriscw

harriscw Walk On

Well, first off, I'm glad to hear someone thinks we are in the right track.

We are certainly trying to carry on the tradition of the Air Raid style attack, but with a back like Harrison Jeffers, and erratic play from the quarterback position, we have been forced into more conservative gameplans from time to time.

To be frank, recruiting has been tough this year. I think we finished #7 in the nation last year, and some of those players are already making an impact, but missing a bowl seems to have had an impact on our influence. Our receiving corp and backfield are losing a number of key players this year; Jeffers, Franks, and Torres, to name a few; let's just say the road ahead looks bumpy.

10. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:

Glad I didn't leave the cupboard bare for you.:)

11. badgerme3

badgerme3 Walk On

You are the newest member of the West. What are your thoughts of the league so far? Also talk a little bit about your expectations in your rookie campaign.

I am excited about the league. I like the rules for recruiting and it seems like everyone has a passion for the teams that they are using. Everyone is very active and it makes you want to continue in the league to get to play everyone. My recruiting is suffering a little bit, since I wasn't able to target the players that I wanted or needed earlier than week 6 or so, but I think things will come around.

I have huge expectations. After coming in with the team already 4-0, I defeated the Texas Tech Red Raiders and have put myself in position to be playing for a chance to be in the national championship game against Texas in the Big XII Championship game. Should be interesting to see if the rookie can take down the mighty Longhorns.