Interview with Huskies Head Coach

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by bcduggan, Oct 11, 2009.

1. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Interview with Huskies Head Coach

This is for any questions related to the Cal game. I will probably use it for any other game I have throughout the season.

Please keep the questions related to the Cal game.

Thanks

Coach bcduggan

2. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

How do you plan to handle your team this week after a devastating loss?

3. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

What have you taken from this loss?

4. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

I need to remind the team that we played well enough after the first quarter to win the game. We need to get into the mindset that football is a four quarter game. Only games that we played well in all four quarters were the Stanford and Idaho. I also need to remind them that the intensity we play with on the road (4-0) is also the intensity needed to play at home (0-3). This team has led in every game, so the talent is there. We need to work on the execution to succeed.

5. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

First, from a coaching perspective, I need to take a better look at the offensive playbook. Need to find better plays when I get in a jam. This means I need to better utilize my team. I also need to trust in Locker's ability to manage the game. Sure, in the first quarter, we were down 14-0 and already turned the ball over 3 times. The mistakes weren't all his fault. I need to let him manage the game, meaning more plays involving Locker, both running and passing. After down 14-0, Locker went on a tear hitting just about every receiver. As a coach, I get frustrated with the fact we are -2 differential in TD/INT, and allow myself to get too conservative in my play calling. I am head coach of the Washington Huskies. We are a part of one of the elite conferences in the nation. We are not weak, the play calling needs to reflect our strengths.

6. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

The team has had way too much dependence on Chris Polk. This dependence caused by what I as head coach perceived to be inconsistent play by Jake Locker. He has 9 Ints on 116 pass attempts this season. Not pinning the qb problems all on Jake, I as Head Coach made some bad calls too. These calls limited what this team is really capable of on offense. As coach I would like to see an increase in passing game, unsure of how much of an increase is necessary. Last game, we were 32 run 31 pass in play selection. That was our best ratio of the season. I know what you are thinking being down 14 after 1 and 10 after 3 of course you threw more. We started our first 3 drives with passes and tried to throw more often to set the run up.

If Chris Polk gets hurt and is out for an extended period of time, Johnson and Shaw can handle the RB duties. I think Chris Polk has suffered some small injury that has limited him in each game, and they handled the RB duties very well. Shaw, I believe was also out for 3 weeks early in season with an injury. Shaw is a Polk clone with less strength.

7. controllerabuser

Just wondering, with all the talk about Polk, what are some of his attribute ratings?

I know you said to keep the questions related to the Cal game but I was just wondering if you don't mind.

8. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

Although questions are for the CAL game, I was wondering :

What's your outlook on the season thus far, whats your teams motivation to this point in the season and where do you plan on having the Huskies by seasons end?

9. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Speed 90
    Acc 92
    Str 76
    Agi 88
    Awr 71
    Btk 89
    Car 82
    Cth 74

10. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

At the start of the season I saw this team as 7-5 team and in a lower bowl. We had MSU on the ropes and failed to finish strong. We were leading USC at the half despite probably the poorest half we had played all season on offense. We outscored Cal 30-19 after falling behind 14-0. We have led in every game, we could be at least 6-1. USC has awesome talent, not sure if we win that game even with the perfect game plan execution.

Our motivation is to prove that we are one of the better teams in the Pac 10. That's how we want to be remembered. We have the talent for that t happen, we have been lacking the drive and determination.

We are 4-0 on the road, but we are 0-3 at home. If the Washington team that's here plays to their talent level we could be 9-3. That also means better coaching. I think that would be 3rd in conference. However, 7-5 is still more realistic. It's disappointing but realistic.

11. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

What do you feel like you need to do to get to that PAC 10 Championship?

12. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

The Pac 10 Championship

this season: A miracle :)

Next season: The nucleus is there for a good run. I need some good recruits that can come in and start right away on the OL.

2 Seasons from now: The talent should have matured and the chemistry should be there should make the Washington/WSU game for than just for state bragging rights. At least for us Huskies.

13. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Taking questions pertaining to the ASU game

14. controllerabuser

How are you preparing your team for this week's match-up?

15. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Being down to 7 total on the Oline scares me. I have some of my DTs practicing on the Oline also that extra practice may hurt us now but will better prepare us for the long run.

Also focusing on better offensive scheme, more plays to involve all our weapons.

Also, working on silent count to go up against the rabid Oregon State crowd.

16. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

What does your team have to be great at to beat OSU?

17. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

My team needs to be great on defense in slowing down the run. We also need to contain the WR Rodgers in the passing game. On offense we need to play with less mistakes. OSU is excellent against the run so Chris Polk will need to do more than just run, maybe block, maybe be a decoy. We need more production from Jake Locker in general. He has great leadership skills we also need to use his athleticism.

18. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Sorry I have been behind in my updates here.

Taking any questions related to the Washington Huskies. Prefer the last 2 games and the upcoming game against Oregon.

To start this off after the horrible way the Oline played against Arizona, the rumor is true. We are looking for an offensive lineman. Allowing 4 sacks to one player is an embarrassment to the Husky program.