Intrepid college football reporter has questions for each of you PLEASE ANSWER.

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by Hellisan, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Intrepid college football reporter has questions for each of you PLEASE ANSWER.

Alabama: What was the reason for the inconsistent play of Alabama. The lows included getting trounced by Tennessee 48-7, and to the LSU Tigers 33-9, both on the road. Were road games a big deal for you or was it just a lack of preparation? Do you think you can be a consistent team next season? Congrats on the SEC title.

Auburn: Before the question, a quick statement. In a side league I had Central Michigan and Dan LeFevour, and I tried running the Florida offense thinking it would suit his abilities greatly. I came to the conclusion that I hate this offense. It's really tough to keep the chains moving, at least for me. After this season's struggles with that offense will we see Auburn come back with a more pro-style attack, or stick with the Florida offense one more year?

Clemson: What held this team back this year? You were the league leader in close games at least as far as I can tell, even against the cpu being involved in some real battles. You've done a bang-up job of recruiting impact players, has the recruiting been hurt in other areas in terms of overall depth and talent or is this just a "coach" thing?

Florida: Do you think that landing David Leonard, even though he's a JUCO, could have a big impact on this team? Do you plan to start this player right away? What changes are in store for Gator Nation?

Florida State: What are your impressions of the league so far? Are you planning to make big changes, and if so in what areas? Or is it stick with the plan, the plan will eventually work?

Georgia: What..... the.... FUCK was that?

Georgia Tech: Do you think that Va Tech has turned the corner and can give you games consistently or is it going to be back to beatdown city next year? If you had to name one player from your class that will make an immediate impact, who would it be?

LSU: Putting Alabama over your team's collective knee had to be quite satisfying. Is that a win that could turn this team's long-term fortunes around, or just a case of the team playing better than normal? What kind of stock do you put in a big win like that?

Miami: You've been quoted as saying that there's a recruiting bug against Miami. Assuming you've escaped from Crazy Town, what is the plan to improve the results next year? What's the plan if Adam Francis decides go to pro or something?

North Carolina: What changed the last two weeks when you went 0-2 against UGA and Va Tech following an 11-0 start. From my perspective it was the run blocking. That offensive line was incredible the first time I saw you on tape,and the holes weren't there the past couple games. Is that part of it?

Tennessee: What problems will VA Tech pose for the Vols in the title game? what are going to be the biggest priorities in recruiting for the Vols next season?

Va Tech: From losing one game against Auburn and then getting blown out by UNC, to having Miami hand you a win on a silver platter in overtime.... Then having a very nice last few weeks of the season, what are your priorities going against a team that's much tougher and more battle tested than any you've faced this season?

2. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

My offensive line couldnt block a god damn thing and I had a freshman quarterback. Plus I'm just not that good at this game.

3. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Tennessee: What problems will VA Tech pose for the Vols in the title game? what are going to be the biggest priorities in recruiting for the Vols next season?

In watching some game tape the passing game has alot of misdirection in it with crossing routes. If we dont get pressure on the qb it could be a long day. The D looks big and fast with a nice secondary, that said I dont think they have seen a team that can mix pass or run like we do. The size and overall speed of our WR core is pretty tough to match up with.

I am sure it will be a close game and turnovers will decide it.

Next season we will need to make an impact on O. We need to get some speed back into our WR group. We will lose George and McGee and with Carlson and Dingle both entering thier last season.

We need a big time RB in the worst way. We will stack out board heavy on RBs and WRs next season.

We may recruit a QB also and will look to add some depth on the oline.

On D we will focus on DE, OLB, and CB with DE being the biggest need for us. We are loaded at MLB and S for the time being.

Our biggest needs and focus going into next year are a beast at RB and pass rushing DEs.

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I got a question for you Helli...

Do you think having a back like Mike Anderson may have hurt your team in terms of the balance? Scales was a monster but at the RB position, you had quite a few guys that could start on any team in the nation. With his fumblitis in his senior year would you have changed the way you've handled your RB situation or it was just a great player having fumbling issues?

5. Merih

Merih XBL Gamertag: Ambasa10

Florida State: What are your impressions of the league so far? Are you planning to make big changes, and if so in what areas? Or is it stick with the plan, the plan will eventually work?

Well, I've got to say. I had my ass handed to me this year. Part of it is blamable on not knowing my team, not knowing opponent tendencies, adjusting to the pacing of the league, etc. But the majority of it is that you guys are just that damn good. I need focus. No music, no posting, no calls from the GF (though she is damn irresistible), just play the game.

For me to say that I don't need to make changes is horse-crap; I do. I need to fully engage into recruiting. I need to stick to my victory formula that has served me well in the past. I need to lab my team inside and out so that I know what they can and cannot do.

For example, in game eight I was finding out how one of my tightends was a pretty good weapon in the flats. That's flat (excuse the pun) unacceptable. I need to know these things, especially if I'm bringing a lower rated team into these games.

So what am I gonna do? I'm gonna do what I've done many other times in sports games when the competition is tough. I'm gonna cheat! Just playing, what I'm really going to focus on are the simplicities that football always guarantees you. Run the ball well, utilize your players strengths, don't make mistakes, and play good defense. That will get the 'Noles back on track, and get the whole town on Tallahassee off my back.

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Thanks Mo.

I always felt like Anderson.... If healthy and not fumbling - was a guy that helped me much more than hurt me. I didn't focus an obscene number of carries his way when he was healthy.

I think EA has some hidden ratings or something... Maybe one might go down in a given year? Or possibly it was just a case of 11 random fumbles or something... Or possibly me trying to break every tackle when he gets hit?

Anyway... IMO the number one thing that hurt me is I'm just not that great at passing the ball against an actual thinking opponent. yeah I typically tear it up against the cpu but this doesn't matter. Fosh knows all my weaknesses in that regard and exploited them to perfection. I will have to become more productive when we pass the ball in order for me to play up to the talent level of my team.

To answer your question... At this point I still think it (fumbles) was somewhat random. But looking back yeah I probably would have started another player. Anderson doesn't have a horrible carry rating, but I have to admit I'm thinking of starting the former ATH Peters next year due to his 88 carry rating that will likely be 90+ next year, then mix in Bower and Jackson who have better speed. Before seeing all these fumbles I probably wouldn't have considered starting the less-talented Peterson.

7. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Miami: You've been quoted as saying that there's a recruiting bug against Miami. Assuming you've escaped from Crazy Town, what is the plan to improve the results next year? What's the plan if Adam Francis decides go to pro or something?

Well, the recruiting bug might continue. We did have a 10 win season and top 10 finish, but unforunately I have to take another short leave of absence from the team, so they will be on their own for the bowl game...pretty much a must win for us to jump back up in prestige. And I will also be gone for the off-season recruiting. We signed all of 2 recruits this season, losing out to both human coaches and cpu coaches no matter if I put 1-2-3 hrs into a recruit. If we miss the off-season recruiting...the program will take another step backwards. But that's all out of my hands, so no sense in bitching and crying over what you can't control.

As for Adam Francis...bite your tounge! If he does leave (and why wouldn't he, he's broken every Miami record in 3 years, will be a 1st rd NFL pick, etc) the plan right now is to completely change Miami's offensive gameplan. We will be looking at teams like West Virginia and Baylor and look at going to a spread attack. Ray Wise, who was injured in week 2 this year, will take over the helm under center, and if he will be playing every snap, it would be foolish not to use one of his biggest attributes, his legs.

8. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

eh, we usually take down one of the two Alabama schools so i don't put to much stock into turning around my fortune based on it. It was damn nice though, to actually pull away and be able to relax and enjoy a victory.

LSU is always competetive, just not consistent enough to win all their user games in a given season. I don't think that's gonna change, although the less i play.. it seems the better my playcalling is. I don't get into the ruts i do when im overly focused on trying to win a game.

We will see... next year will be a much more run oriented team with a young WR core and a fantastic group of HB's.

9. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Couple more questions for the Georgia coach.

What were your expectations this season? What games suprised you the most?

Going into next season you lose a ton of talented seniors that have been the backbone of your program, how do you replace those players?

Scales, Anderson, your FS that you stole from me?

10. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

My expectation was to win the title. I felt and feel that this was my chance. Do we still have some talent? Sure.... In fact you could say that this upcoming team bears a better resemblance to my great Purdue teams than this one did.

-Immobile passing QB with great AWR and a good arm. Although not a CANNON like Robinson had obviously. The obvious difference? You could protect the passer in last year's game

-Good but not great RB. We were never able to recruit the superstar runners last year..

-One super fast WR and good supporting guys with a good receiving TE and a line that should be much better.

-Awesome defense.

I knew that the game against Tennessee was going to be tough and to me that was the key to the season. I was most surprised by the Alabama game. Not that we lost but that we looked so bad in doing it. To be honest he did what he usually does against me (going all the way back to the side league) defensively and I'm still stunned at how horrible I played but at this point I think it's just a good player having my number. You and I talked about his clock hogging style (which I will just mention here is against league rules lol) and that got to me to the point where I was just calling timeouts to lengthen the game a bit. I was throwing things dude.... That one hurts bad.

We have a good QB next year... My concerns are his lack of mobility and lack of height equating to more bat downs but there's nothing I can do about that, he is the clear cut best option.

RB will be mostly by committee. We have three good ones, the improvement will hopefully solve that for me with either Bower or Jackson making a huge jump. I don't want to start the least athletic of the three but I might (Peters).

At FS I have a guy i really like, 94-speed (and former 2-star recruit that I talked about a lot) Joe Forte. He is a redshirt freshman this year and will step in next year. He hits just like Wesley Bryant but obviously won't be the same caliber of player. But with Tanner Jenkins being another year along (and he already had a 106 tackle, 6 INT season as a freshman) our secondary will still be strong IMO.

11. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Props to Helli and you guys. I'm not even in this dynasty and those were some of the best posts to read on this site.

12. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Good Stuff Helli.....i love it!

I think alot it is mental. If I concentrate on how much faster, stronger and overall higher rated then my team I will be in trouble. I am not even concentrating on UT's players. The whole team is great. I have to take what I do well and do it even more efficiently. We can't fall behind and we feel having a lead will put pressure on UT. I won't expect to be able to get myself back into the game like I did vs Miami. I really feel like we can win with my gameplan. It will be up to execution!! We never expected to be here and we love it!!! Bring it Bruce!!

13. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

I don't feel that the offensive line necessarily let us down in the running game. Even in the two losses to end the season, we were able to establish the run and approached or eclipsed the 100 yard mark.

The main difference was Wesley's inability to move the ball downfield. Our receivers were VERY average and two of our 3-deep had 86 speed with unimpressive auxiliary ratings. Plain and simple that will not get it done in our league. In hindsight, I wish I wouldve used Wesley's feet more and looked to find out TE's more. Fritz was a Senior TE with solid overall ratings but he excelled with the ball in the open field. Although not a speedster, he boasted an 88 BTK and we should have looked for more ways to get the ball into his hands.

In my first few years at the helm, I was really comfortable with who we had at QB but for some reason I could never find a groove with Wesley-despite his serviceable ratings. Next season we will most likely trot out a RS Fresh or Soph QB as well as some young WR's so I'm hoping we can get clicking sooner rather than later. Kerr was a RS(JR) and will most likely bolt in the offseason. We were able to sign 4-star horse Patrick Hoffman and my backup from this season was actually rated higher than Kerr--so we're hoping not to miss a beat should the Heisman winner decide to get outta dodge. Although we are disappointed losing in the ACC championship for the second consecutive year, our guys have gained some valuable experience and we're looking to make a return trip sooner rather than later. The Heels will be back!

14. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

when is UNC vs LSU planned??

15. Blaza

Ryno's got a test tomorrow and needs to study tonight --- I'm off of work tomorrow so as soon as we nail down a convenient time we'll get it in. I'm hoping to play in the early afternoon if possible.

16. VaSteelah

VaSteelah Swollen Member

Florida: Do you think that landing David Leonard, even though he's a JUCO, could have a big impact on this team? Do you plan to start this player right away? What changes are in store for Gator Nation?

There will be a battle at the running back position next season. As of right now, John Spence will be the main back (all depends on if he stays) We have a nice stable of backs behind Spence. Most likely Leanord will definetly be kickoff and punt returner, unless he showes real promise in practice. The real battle will be between Little and Jefferson. Litlle is a good back but seems to play light at times, Jefferson is redshirted at the moment so we shall see.
    I don't believe there will be huge changes, maybe at QB.

17. Blaza

I'm still hurting from that B+ THP, B QB you plucked outta North Carolina last year. He would've been the starter for us for sure this year. :mad:

18. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Georgia Tech: Do you think that Va Tech has turned the corner and can give you games consistently or is it going to be back to beatdown city next year? If you had to name one player from your class that will make an immediate impact, who would it be?

---VaTech has always given me trouble this year save for a few games. The difference from any other year and this year was I wasn't able to answer their scoring drive with my own. That's a personnel issue from my team. I know I will get VaTech's best shot everytime we meet out there from the field. With that said, it all boils down to how these recruits come in looking like in spring practice. I brought in 3 QB's who fit the original GT mold of QB who can run as well as throw. Maybe they will bring GT back to being a true offensive powerhouse because I think Perry is a damn good RB.

As for a guy making an immediate impact, I'd say Darryl Moss, because he'll likely start off the bat taking Brannon Edwards's spot. He looks like a beast.

Ronnie Stephens I feel might start at WR, taking over Brown's spot. West should be back but Oliver/Edwards are pretty "meh" at that spot.

19. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Great idea guys, great content and discussion. When ever i need to jack some idea's for my league the duece and this are always great places to look (y) lol

20. jfosh

jfosh Super

#1 reason for the inconsistent play, coaching. The decesion to go with the BYU offense was a bad one from the start. Against Tennessee the final score wasn't that bad (bruce pounded the cpu after the game dropped in the 3rd quarter) but the play wasn't any better. Against LSU we decided to pound our heads again and air it out. The result was the same and LSU made us pay. Even posting the picture the summed up that game. Closing out the season against Auburn, Clemson, and Georgia in the SEC title we changed our game plan and stayed as far away from the air it out philosophy as possibble. Results were much better.

Going forward the team will be more consistent. We will have a stout offense line, be strong on D, probabally rate out A+ offense and A+ Defense. McGlaughlin will improve at QB. The offensive selection will be given more thought this year. There are never any excuses at Alabama a team that continues to put top notch talent on the field. The only question will be...you guessed it consistency.

21. jfosh

jfosh Super

LOL clock hogger......nice...whats against the rules am I missing something. LSU was using the chewing clock feature against me in the 3rd quarter of our game.

22. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

LOL... The rules state that since we're playing 8 minute quarters, we are supposed to pick a play and run it pretty quickly unless we're running out the game in the fourth quarter or to end the half. Effectively we want a semi-realistic number of plays in a shorter game. College football games average around 135 plays per game.

I know you don't do it on purpose (or maybe you do?) but my perception is you have a really hard time choosing plays and then you pre-read the defense so you're snapping it really late.

Against the cpu there are around 140+ ppg in an Alabama football game, in user games there are around 110+115. In ours there were 100 :thumbsup:

So my point is, guessing that its' an extra 10 seconds per snap when playing you (times 40 fewer plays) that's almost 7 minutes I spent staring at my balls waiting for you to pick a play/snap the fucker. ;)

Actually, I'm not sure the numbers back me up here Fosh. There were 115 offensive snaps in Tenn. vs. UGA and 109 vs. LSU... So maybe this is just a user game thing in general and purely a perceptional thing... I think against users we pass much less, and run much higher completion percentage type plays in general, leading to fewer incompletions, leading to fewer plays.

23. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Cant really worrie about Bama trying to chew the clock.

But then again he does get a lot of delay of game penalties against us. :)

24. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

Chew clock is completely legit when your up big towards the end of the 3rd and 4th qtrs... it's common sense that you would take a bit more time in that situation.

now going CC in the 1st or 2nd qtr or right out of halftime in a competetive game is not kosher. But if you have a death grip on the game and it's getting late, chew baby, chew.

I might feel differently if it was 7 min qtrs... be we already do a marathon with 8.

25. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Chew clock should only be used when the game is decided....IMO

Running down the clock should be used in good taste in the 4th quarter........I never run it down to 1 sec unless we are under 3:00 and I dont want the other team to get the ball....any earlier is kind of annoying i think.