Iowa is left scratching their heads after route from Penn State

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by hugezombie, Aug 2, 2012.

1. hugezombie

hugezombie Walk On

Jul 1, 2012
    Headlines in the Iowa City Press Citizen read "What Just Happened?" Iowa welcomed Penn State to Iowa City on Saturday as heavy favorites but the football gods had other ideas. In the early minutes it looked to be a usual Big Ten battle with Penn St leading 7-6, then we were welcomed to the "Twilight Zone." Everything that could go wrong for Iowa did, tipped passes returned for touchdowns, shoestring tackles turning into fumbles and Penn State's McGloin channeling his inner Joe Montana by going 17-27 for 422 yards and 6 TDs. What happened to Iowa's stingy defense? With missed tackles well into the double digits, the Hawkeye D gave up 614 yards, 87 points and could only muster a measly 1 turnover in garbage time. When coach Mason was asked if there was anything positive to take away from this game he replied: "We ran into a buzz saw, we looked past Penn State and we paid for it. That is on me. We have some adjustments to make but I am proud of my kids for not packing it in and kept on fighting." When asked about benching struggling star QB James Vandenberg at the end of the 3rd quarter, coach Mason responded: "It wasn't his day, leaving him out there would only hurt his confidence and us in the long run, I was looking for a spark and we got a bit of one with Rudock." Freshman QB Jake Ruddock came into the 4th quarter with guns blazing throwing for 355 yards and 5 TDs in a single quarter, leading to TE Zach Derby breaking Iowa's single game receiving record. Iowa tries to right the ship next week against pesky rival Northwestern.

IOWA 29 yd FG Mike Meyer
    PSU McGloin 76 yd TD pass to Kersey
    PSU 7 IOWA 3 end of 1st

IOWA 43 yd FG Mike Meyer
    PSU McGloin to Redd 7 yd TD Pass
    PSU Mauti 49 yd Pick 6
    IOWA James Vandenberg 34 yd TD Pass to Keenan David
    PSU 21 Iowa 13 Half

PSU McGloin to Kersey 29 yd TD Pass
    PSU McGloin 83 yd TD Pass to Brown
    PSU McGloin 2 yd TD run
    PSU McGloin 59 yd TD Pass to Kersey