Iowa Presser

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Diddy81, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Iowa Presser

[​IMG]

Coach great start you have beaten some quality teams what has been the key?

How has recruiting gone for the hawkeyes?

Wisconsin has done there part to make this matchup huge, d, what has been your focus for this match up?

What needs to improve in order to run the remaining table this season?

2. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

bump I will just change the original question about Michigan to Iowa lol

3. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

[​IMG]

As of right now we have been extremely lucky. There are a couple games which we should have lost but our defense has bailed us out. Our rushing game has been consistent except for against Michigan. As you may see without the Iowa rush game we have no chance in winning.

Recruiting is always one of the downfalls for Iowa. I mean, who wants to come here?!? We have been scrounging through the riff raff to find guys that fit our system to find a diamond in the rough. Thus far we haven't been able to lock up a big name recruit but we have time to change that.

Wisconsin plays very similar to Iowa. They rely on a consistent rush game and stout defense. This game will be an absolute battle. Our goal is to stop John Clay. With our front for I see that is very possible.

Well it isn't possible for us to run the table but in order to finish out the season on a strong note we need to limit our turnovers and shore up the passing game.

4. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Sorry for the neglect coach, tough loss in Happy Valley , what went wrong?

Your Qb threw 4 int's in this one, that is not characteristic of an Iowa team, why did you rely so heavily on the pass?

IS there any way realistically for you to get back into the hunt for the Big 10 title?

Will Vandenburg(not sure if i got that right) be the starter going forward?

5. Emmdotfrisk

Penn State had a good gameplan. Load the box, man press, 1 safety deep on defense. The PSU offense controlled the clock. We didn't have very many offensive chances to score.

We didn't rely heavily on the pass. We only passed 10 times all game, but when you see the entire PSU defense inside the box, its hard not audible to a streak. In theory my 6'4" WR should have the advantage over a smaller PSU CB. As you can tell that wasn't the case with 4 picks.

Nah, this is a rebuilding year. We will probably lose to Michigan and tOSU. We are just focused on bringing in players that will counteract defensive schemes.

So far him and freshmen Warren Mills have split time. They will continue to split time as the QB position isn't that important in the Iowa offense.

6. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

You can play spoiler this week, is the motivation there?

You said this would be a rebuilding year, yet if you win out you will be a top ten team, what does that say about the '11 team?

Who has been the biggest surprise and disappointment this season for the Hawkeyes?

7. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Coach, you missed your last presser, if you want exposure please report to the podium.

Ok Blowout win vs. Nebraska, a game that was not as close as the score dictates from what I have heard, why was it so decisive?

How good is your play in the trenches, any room for concern?

What is the focus for recruiting this season?

8. Emmdotfrisk

I swore I answered that one Diddy, I still remember my responses....well anyways.

9. Emmdotfrisk

Well, up until this time we have continued to just go with the flow. We have been playing Hawkeye football but the funny thing is Hawkeye football doesn't win video games. Ratings, strategy, schemes, and personnel doesn't translate the same in real life as it does in NCAA 11. It became every teams' goal to stop the Iowa run (which is realistic) but what has been unrealistic is perfect man coverage on the outsides, defending LB core never biting on play action, and the Iowa O Line getting beat in the trenches. It finally came to a point that we became sick of it. We went out and recruited the best balanced QB in the class and brought him into camp. He performed well and won the starting job. Some questioned this move, but it will win us games. Chucky can throw, run, and carry the ball all with conviction. With him as our field general, his natural abilities make us that more potent. Against the Cornhuskers we put the new Iowa offense into test mode. It went well but I can't assume the same for the remainder of our games, but I look forward to finding out.

Right now we have one of the best O Line's in the league yet I am still seeing some dropped assignments and lost blocks. I am not sure what it will take to bring the O line to perfection but I will certainly try to.

We have 5 true freshmen starting on defense and you would think my main concern would be to recruit at those positions but in actuality those are of my least concern. We are set at all of our skilled positions but need help in the WR category and CB category. We have put much effort into O and D Line as well.

Thanks for having me Diddy.

10. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

How were you able to just outclass PSU in happy valley?

Do you think the Nittany Lions were still hung over from the Ohio st victory?

You control your own destiny in the Big 10 if i''m not mistaken, what will you do while in the driver's seat?

Is the 424 yards of passing a cause for concern?

11. Emmdotfrisk

Don't get me wrong, we did come away with a big win, but in no way did we outclass Cimmy and his Nittany Lions. We forced a few turnovers early and capitalized on it. It seemed that PSU wasn't ready for the game and they expected to come in and walk all over us. We showed up to play and and scored a quick 21 points. That was just enough lead to keep Cimmy's powerful offense at an arm's length. I know next year PSU won't take us lightly and I need to think up a new gameplan.

They could have. Their team didn't play to their abilities. I knew Cimmy was mad too because of errant throws and unfortunate fumbles. That is all in the past though and we have 2 very tough games on the horizon. We need to take care of business and win the Big 10.

In the past we have played conservative. We have got a lead and then put on the brakes in attempt to chew the clock. We have found out we cannot do that. We need to apply the pressure and continue to perform like we did against Penn St. So everyone better get used to the new Hawkeyes, no more Sweater Vest for Coach Frisk.

No not really. Our defense is strong. Once Penn St fell behind the were passing 90% of the time to catch up. In my experiences there are ways to take advantage of the Iowa defense. We primarily love zone coverage and do not blitz. Cimmy is great in the pocket so although Newsome had 424 passing, we kept them out of the endzone.

12. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Big win vs OSu in a classic Big 10 slobber knocker, how'd you pull if off?

How does this team compare to the teams of recent history?

Who needs to step up in order for Iowa to win the Big 10?

Has Iowa been able to rebuild that dominant defense of 2010?

13. Emmdotfrisk

Thanks. It was a hard fought battle and a great game with tOSU and RY. I changed my gameplan a little bit. I usually don't run PA because of the AI's ability to sniff it out, but I knew that even if it didn't work I would need it to keep Ry honest. There was one play where Kevonte Martin-Menley beat the secondary only to drop the ball. As I started to mix it up better, I was able to run the ball effectively, which is the IOWA gameplan. Marcus Coker was a beast and had a huge run in the 4th quarter.

Ironically this is probably the weakest the team has been at every position except for the offensive line. The good thing is I am only losing 9 seniors this year and I plan to watch my young players grow and perform well the rest of the year and season to come.

Not one person has to step up, but the entire defense. tOSU manhandled the Iowa D line and forced my LB's to make plays. My LB core is pretty decent but they are quite young raning from FR-RSSO. If I can find a way to put preasure on the offense with my D line then things will get much easier for me.

We have not. I have spent all my efforts getting building a RB and OL pipeline. The next step is to upgrade my DL and definitely the secondary. Those are the missing pieces right now.