Irish Locker Room

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by dmanno2, Oct 17, 2010.

1. dmanno2

dmanno2 Walk On

Stanford, CA-- The Notre Dame defense played tremendous and senior Gary Gray picked off Andrew Luck 3 times! Michael Floyd and Dayne Crist were on the same page throughout the entire game. Rudolph had a couple key catches in the rivalry victory and proved he still has what it takes coming off of season ending surgery last year. Andrew Luck was stellar in the second half, especially the third quarter, but early turnovers hurt his Heisman hopes. This was a battle of defense and a pretty spectacular air raid. Crist connected with Floyd on each of his TD passes. It would be fitting that the rivalry came down to the last play of the game. Stanford had a 28-17 lead with 3:43 left in the game. Crist lead his team down the field with plenty of help from Senior Captain and leader Kyle Rudolph, and a great receiving group. It came down to 3rd and Goal from the 3 after 2 failed pass attempts (one to Shaquille Evans which was dropped after he was upended in the back of the endzone). Crist used a three step drop and put it in between the number of Michael Floyd who was running a cross route into a vacant middle of the endzone as the linebackers put a crushing hit on Crist. With 2:48 left, Coach Manno decided to kick it deep and trust his D against Luck. Stanford picked up a couple first downs and Coach Manno was forced to use his timeouts. The D came through however as Luck was sacked on third down forcing the Cardinals to punt with about 50 seconds left. The punt sailed into the back of the endzone ,leaving Crist and company 80 yds to go with no timeouts. Everyone watching knew that it was going to be an air show. Crist dropped back and connected with Deion Walker out left who ran a crossing route and dipped out of bounds short after the first down marker. 38 seconds, Crist drops back, has to scramble and finds Rudolph in the flat with room to run, but he was unable to get out of bounds. ND rushes to the line, 20 Seconds to go, ball on the Stanford 40, Crist drops back, finds Rudolph running down the seam, lobs it to get it past the backer who makes a spectacular play and bats the ball into the ground. 12 seconds left Crist finds Floyd on the left side, gets out with 2 seconds on the clock. Radio announcer sound off: “Ball at the 27, 2 seconds left… Crist drops back…Floyd with only one man to beat. Crist avoids a Cardinal pass rush, Floyd has a step! Crist lets it fly…YES Floyd brings it down in the back of the endzone…YES!!! Michael Floyd with a spectacular catch, Irish Win! Irish Win! The legends trophy is coming home to South Bend”…
    Coach Manno commented, “We played well! I’m so proud of these guys! All of our hard work is paying off. Other coaches have been writing this squad off, but we have high expectations.” Coach how does it feel to get your first win as Norte Dame’s new coach against a great team in a big rivalry game? “It’s great! I’ve dreamt of coaching here since I got in the business, and I’m glad these guys are buying into what I’m trying to do with the program. We have a great group of guys, and I owe it to these seniors to have a successful year! Our Seniors stepped up out there today, Kyle, Michael, and Gary Gray all played tremendous and left it out on the field.” Coach your quarterback is still young and not quite proven, is he your weak link? “If you consider him the weak link, we’re pretty damn strong! Dayne is young, but he has experience and he proved out there that he can stay composed when the game is on the line.”

2. dmanno2

dmanno2 Walk On

Colemanchu wrote up the game well over in the scores section.... Here are coaches thoughts after the heartbreaking 35-38 loss to rival Michigan.

"We played a tremendous game, Dayne had a few mistakes, but overall played really well! I'm confident in these guys, and give credit to (also new) head coach colemanchu."

"After we recovered the onside kick I thought we were going to OT at the very least. We didn't want to turn the ball over, but at the same time we were going for the win rather than OT. But we'll learn from this one and continue playing Norte Dame Football"

"It's tough when you lose the close ones, especially in a huge rivalry game, but Michigan is a good team. That's what makes the rivalry so great!"

"I think this game proved to the team how important ball security is. If we don't give the ball away, the outcome is different."

3. dmanno2

dmanno2 Walk On

South Bend, IN- Norte Loses Crist and big Game against rival Michigan State. The final score read 24-23 in South Bend, and Norte Dame wasn’t celebrating! The game started off looking like a defense day as MSU went three and out, and Norte Dame followed the same path. The first TD wasn’t scored until late into the 1st quarter when Kirk Cousins hit TE Brian Linthicum for a 40 yd TD pass on third and short when Norte Dame brought heavy pressure. Cousins barely got rid of the ball in time as Gary Gray came crashing from the blind side, and the big man broke two tackles en route to the end-zone. The two teams battled back and forth playing great D, until Michael Floyd beat his man and scored on a 70 yd TD pass from Dayne Crist. The TD wasn’t all celebration however, as Crist let go of the ball he was hammered and ended up leaving the game with a shoulder injury. It was up to the Irish defense the rest of the day. Cousins raided the air in the second quarter after the Crist injury putting the Spartans up 21-7 at halftime. Norte Dame seemed to become more dependent on the ground game in an offense that is usually pass first. The Irish D came out to play in the second half as they sacked cousins for a safety late in the third quarter. This was the life the Irish needed, and backup quarterback Andrew Hendrix started to play with some more confidence after hitting Kyle Rudolph for a 9 yd TD pass. Irish 16-Spartans 21. Cierre Wood broke one out wide for 83 yds and looked to be in midseason form. Irish stupidly elected to kick the extra point rather than going for two, coach commented on this, “I had faith in our D, and we did stop them...We just couldn’t get that last first down to put the game out of reach.” MSU mounted a small drive then punted away to the Irish who could not come up with the first down they needed and gave the ball back to Cousins and Co. The Irish D only let up once and put the MSU offense in position for Dan Conroy to kick the 25 yard, game winning field goal. The luck wasn’t on the Irish’s side.

4. dmanno2

dmanno2 Walk On

sorry my write up was a little late