Iron Bowl Ends in big cloud of Durst w/ video

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by jfosh, Sep 23, 2009.

1. jfosh

jfosh Super

Iron Bowl Ends in big cloud of Durst w/ video

Alabama will have to agonize for another year. They failed to hold a one point lead with 38 seconds to go. The win by Auburn is their second in as many years.

Auburn came out firing in the 2010 Iron Bowl. QB Kodi Burns completed a barrage of short passes to running backs and tight ends to start the game. The Tigers never strayed far away from this strategy all night. Auburn's first 2 drives of the game mirrored each other and ended the same way with 3 points. Auburn had 4 trips to the redzone in the game with 3 ending in field goals.

In the second quarter an Alabama drive ended when HB Mark Ingram (who had not fumbled since the last time these teams met) had the ball poked loose by a trailing Tiger defender, the ball was one rotation from rolling out of bounds. The fumble started a stretch where more points came in a 1:15 then at any other time in the game. Burns scored the only Tiger touchdown when he scrambled on a broken pass play around the right side. On the play Burns broke a low tackle, a high tackle, shook an Alabama player of his back and carried a Tide player into the endzone for good measure. The Tide trailed 13-0.

Alabama did not cross midfield in the first quarter and it did not look like they would get there before half either. Deep in their own territory before the half QB Greg McElroy eluded Auburn's RE and found WR Eric Alexander streaking for a 71 yard touchdown. 13-7 Tigers. Auburn received a short kick and only needed 3 quick plays to answer with their 3rd field goal of the half and took a 16-7 lead into the break.

Adjustments needed to be made and Alabama abandoned the run in the second half. McElroy showed up for the Tide going 20-23 with 341 yards 2 TD's and no INT's and used 10 different receivers. The Tide's run game was lifeless with Ingram gaining 25 yards on the ground and as a team ended -18 net for the game.

The Tide clawed their way back into the game and eventually took the lead scoring a field goal on their opening drive and later getting into the endzone for a touchdown on an Ingram reception to take the lead 17-16 as the 3rd quarter ended.

Auburn was able to put up their 4th and 5th field goals in the final period and held a 22-17 lead with 1:22 left. McElroy would lead what looked like the final drive of the game, he eluded the rush and connected on a big gainer to WR Marquis Maze across the middle after taking a sack on the previous play. The next play was to WR Julio Jones on a curl who broke a tackle and took the ball past the Tigers 30. McElroy then found HB Terry Grant out of the backfield and took the ball inside the Tiger 5. Grant later scored with 38 seconds left. McElroy made his only bad read of the game when he missed an open tight end (a button) and elected to throw to a triple teamed (x button) Jones on the 2 point attempt. Alabama had regained the lead 23-22 with 38 seconds left.

Auburn was again the beneficiary of excellent field position on the kick off. The kicking game turned out tho be the true achilles heel of the Tide this season, it was no more apparent then in this game. Auburn never found themselves outside their own 40 on an Alabama kick off.

Kodi Burns with no time outs would will the Tigers down the field. Burns and the Auburn Tigers played turnover free football. Suprising for a team with 26 give aways. Burns was able to elude pressure and scramble for big 1st downs all game. The final drive he used his arm. He completed his longest pass of the day 29 yards on the first play of the drive, fired incompletion as he looked toward the sideline, then completed a pass to the middle to set up a 42 yard try. Auburn elected not to try and spike to kill the clock but went to the huddle and called in their field goal unit, 8...7....6...poof the Tigers had magically teleported onto the field and were able to get the snap off and K Jr Clinton Durst hit his 6th field goal of the game.

Final 25-22 Auburn.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vJ11p6I2_IA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vJ11p6I2_IA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pvbexXigTjM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pvbexXigTjM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qOlzvjZXALw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qOlzvjZXALw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Id-H5YNeN7w&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Id-H5YNeN7w&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LoVfQd3RUzs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LoVfQd3RUzs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

2. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Tough way to lose. What happened on that last kick off.

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

His kicker has a horrible, horrible leg....

4. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Dude I was sad........you cant leave Mike any time on the board.

5. MRamirez

MRamirez Go Devils!

I need to learn how to defend that pass better..... My guys just do not penetrate like I would hope. When I drop back it seemed as if his players would break through, even on 3 and 4 man rushes it just doesn't make sense.

I know I won but it is frustrating because I dominated that game and I have to squeek out a win on a last second field goal.

The lack of a kicker for Alabama really hurt them..... I was fielding kick-offs at my 35 yard line and very nearly broke 2 of them. With 38 seconds I knew I still had a chance. Fortunately for me the good guys won.

The lob TD pass in the first half really deflated me as JFOSH was looking at a "goose" egg and then on 2nd and 19 with about a minute left hits the deep ball for 71 yards.

Alabama never really tried to run the ball giving up on it very early! Auburn dominated the clock and the ball. I probably played it to conservative in the "Red Zone" but was trying to not make any mistakes.

I'm happy to get the win, but I know I have a daunting task in trying to take down Hellisan twice in the same season.

6. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Anybody who can beat mighty Clemson, can take down Georgia twice.

7. MRamirez

MRamirez Go Devils!

I have to come up with a completely different gameplan against Hellisan. I can assure you the Mad Scientist is thinking in his "evil" little mind that if he tweaks "this" or alters "that" he wins.

I can guarantee he was scratching his head after the last game. He was up 14-3 and looked to be in control.

I'm going to have to dig down in my back of tricks and pull something out.

Hopefully "Mogriff" puts a thumping on him to make him question his viability on the "sticks"!

[​IMG]

8. jfosh

jfosh Super

This was hardly the case. Six field goals that is not domination my friend. You won but should be counting your blessings instead of stirring the pot.

9. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

the Dolphins dominated the Colts..........means squat!

10. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

yup.. he wins.. he dominated... you win... you benefited from some outside circumstance beyond his control... :D

11. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

It was one of the more entertaining games I have ever watched. There were a few "interesting" plays from Auburn though......I dont want to ruffle any feathers but I can clip them from justin.

12. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

LOL Jms. Fun game to watch. Tough luck for 'Bama.

13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    :) elaborate.

14. MRamirez

MRamirez Go Devils!

You had a net -18 yards rushing, I had the ball twice as much as you. Those FG's are TD's we are looking at a blowout...... I was just giving my opinion.

My opinion was I dominated that game!

The LSU game Ryno dominated me and it was close in the end. Same difference.

15. MRamirez

MRamirez Go Devils!

LOL..........

16. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

LOL Ramirez. I already know my stick skills are atrocious.

Gotta just keep playing. I don't get good at the game as fast as you guys. Takes me awhile.

17. MRamirez

MRamirez Go Devils!

JMS please get off of JFOSH's nuts ...It made you sad?

[​IMG]