Is it racist of us as a society to let Mayweather get away with saying that?

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Hellisan, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Is it racist of us as a society to let Mayweather get away with saying that?

Race threads are just... never a good thing but frankly I don't give a shit.

I'm up in arms about this Mayweather fuck. How does he get away with something like this? "Sorry... I was having fun"

That's it. I guarantee nothing truly negative comes of it for him, and if anything it helps make him more money.

When a guy like Fuzzy Zoeller says something stupid (the fried chicken and collard greens thing from a few years ago) it's like... basically that's all people remember about him. I know I do... what an idiot. I don't recall if he had any fines/penalties but I know it has overshadowed his career and made us forget what a great player he was.... Because we didn't accept that from him. We expected more from him as a white man.

So Mayweather goes 10x further... and nothing. And honestly I don't think it's acceptable as a society that we let him get away with it, because honestly... what's the message we're sending as a society?

"he's a crazy, out of control, stupid black man so ignore it."

The idea that he doesn't have to be accountable for what he says, because frankly we expect these types of outbursts and behavior from him, is just as racist as the shit that came out of his mouth.

I truly hope I'm wrong and he gets some kind of penalty or ban from the sport.

2. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

He won't get a ban from the sport because he's the biggest face for boxing right now. He probably will get a fine (if that) but it really doesn't matter to him, he's just a little too rich to care. I don't agree to what he said and he is receiving alot of backlash for it now. He was just trying to get under PacMan the Steroid King's skin. He should of went about it a different way but nothing will ruin that man's career. He is boxing, point blank period.

I'm not sure if I listened to his whole rant (sorry but I don't give two fucks what rich people have to say) but I heard the "I'm going to eat you with some cats & dogs" and the "stupid midget" comments. That was ignorant for him to say his actual feelings to the public or at least where he has the option to give his opinions to millions of people.

Do I think he should be banned from the sport? No. Fine? No. I also didn't agree with Don Imus getting removed off the air for his "nappy headed hoes" comment a few years ago. I agree with the radio personality a couple of weeks ago stepping down after her N-Word laden rant. That's just my personal opinion though.

But this is America. A place where the KKK can walk down the middle of downtown with no blacklash but if you even mention your a part of the Black Panthers the feds will try to bury you.

My opinion because I know everyone was waiting for it.

~JerzeyReign~ aka "Another Mad Black Man"

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

We have a lot in common then :D

4. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

He said a lot more racists things than that.

[YOUTUBE]-H0hAOypXMQ[/YOUTUBE]

I get where you are coming from Hellisan, there is a terrible double standard in this country, and in a lot more subjects than this.

==================================================================================

I cant wait for this fight to happen though i have to admit and i love now even more pub that it's going to get. This will be the biggest, most watched, and profitable fight in the history of fighting. I absolutely love the sport of boxing, even in a time when down, it dominates all other "fighting" sports. I just hope it happens at Cowboys Stadium so I can get tickets...lmao.

5. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

I agree with this 100%.... Lot's of double standards everywhere... even in our community.... Floyd says that, and to a lot of people it's funny and they're backing him up.... But if someone said something just as racial about him to get under his skin those same people would be up in arms going crazy.

Hopefully with time and as our generation continues to take over, these double standards and racial issues will continue to diminish.

6. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

I'm a huge boxing head. The thing about boxing is that there is no true central governing body. The fights are privately sanctioned (Top Rank, Golden Boy, etc.) and PPV dollars drive the sport almost entirely. Not only does this contribute to the long back and forth negotiations for fights, but it also leads to somewhat of a Wild West culture within the sport.

People pay to see who they want to see, which is why a mediocre fighter like Arturo Gotti always sold well. Dollars and cent wise, it flat out pays for Mayweather to come off as an ignorant dumbass--every story has a villain right? Floyd is the bellcow--no chance they ban him and miss out on the millions his character generates in and outside of the ring. All that said, I agree he's pretty ignorant.

One crazy thing about Floyd though is that he really is probably the most technically talented boxer of our generation. Epitomizes the traditional objective of boxing--hit and not get hit. I love watching him in the ring.

7. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

Forget Boxing.... It's all About MMA now!!!

8. Iron Mickey

I know personally I will never live long enough to see that day (26 years old).

My man!!

The $$$$ & Pay-Per-Views don't lie, MMA doesn't touch Boxing.

But i am a fan of MMA regardless.

9. Bamaboiking

Bamaboiking Walk On

Good God folks it's an ACT. He's just trying to sell tickets for the eventual fight, needs to make sure that those of us who are leaning to buy are still leaning to buy. Just like every UFC fighter claims the other guy doesn't "respect" him. Ali said MUCH worse about Frazier. Get a grip. Mayweather wont fight with his trainer in a criminal trail about to go to jail. So its all a stall, both camps know what they are doing.

10. Iron Mickey

They will have no trouble selling tickets, its going to be the biggest fight of our time.

And yeah, there trying to "build" hype up, but he could have done it without racial slurs regardless.

11. Bamaboiking

Bamaboiking Walk On

very true unit i dont agree with what he did, was a duck head move

12. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

As a big mayweather fan i will say he was wrong. no way to defend it cause he was wrong. just shut up and fight!! they agreed to his terms and he still wouldn't sign what more does he want.

13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Well if your going to compare who said what...Fuzzy being mostly known for what he said speaks volumes to what his career was.

Floyd is already top of world so him saying this won't define him. He's already known for his brash smack anyways so most will chalk it up to Floyd being Floyd.

Plus like Blaza said, there's no central governing body...so any type of ban is DOUBTFUL...plus he's the sports biggest cash cow.

14. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

Yea... but Big time PPV events are only a few times a year for boxing as oppose to MMA fights.

15. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Get a grip, it was an ACT!!!! (y)

WTF talk yourself in a circle much?

16. Bamaboiking

Bamaboiking Walk On

i only say its a dick move because he could of put on the act without the racial slurs, but it was an act 100% to get people intrested

17. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yeah I know... Boxing's in desperate times these days, maybe that's more a reflection on that situation than his character, I don't know.

All I know is, things aren't equal if one person loses their job or has to resign or whatever (and I absolutely despise that right wing zealot mouthpiece Dr. Laura....) and another person just gets off scott free. It's not equal for either side under those circumstances, and in the interest of equality, people of every color should have to watch their fuckin mouths..

18. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

lol at the guy "im a big believer in karma".

ummm Doesnt Karma affect you in your NEXT life?

19. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Depends on how you look at it. "What goes around comes around" talks about karma this lifetime.

In Buddhism and some religion with a J (I flippin' forget) its all about the next lifetime Karma.

20. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    The sad part about this is Floyd has no intentions on fighting this guy. I love Floyd's fighting style but whole heartedly agree his "act" goes over the top very often. The money cant get any bigger, can it? I mean we are probably talking a hundred million purse at least, right.

Bottom line is racism is racism regardless of the reason or the moment. Grow up Floyd.

21. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Absolutely.

Problem is, depending on who says what, and to whom, we either march on the capital, or simply brush it off. Depending on which group we belong to, and which we are speaking about, there are "permissions" given for this kind of thing.

I'm not saying I'm OK with this; I'm just pointing out the elephant in the room. Mayweather made those statements to a camera, in public, and without any reservations. Not everyone can do that and get out of the room unblemished. Floyd knows he can get away with it because of who he's talking to, and who he's talking about. He wouldn't have said these things about another racial group. He's banking an the fact that we'll get less upset (or not upset at all) if he goes after Pacquiao with comments about "sushi and rice."

22. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Just another double standard

23. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

It's a little more complicated than that. Which instances we choose to get upset about is just as big a sign of the racial dynamic at work as anything else. If Mayweather made comments about the "typical slow white guy" then the public reaction would be much different. If he talked about "burritos and tacos," the reaction would be different again. When we evaluate situations like this one, you better believe the we, as a culture, look not only at the skin color being demeaned, but the skin color doing the demeaning. The "double standards" stack on top of each other again and again, and anyone who says they're not a part of the problem ... is lying, whether they know it or not.

My point is - this kind of thing is terribly complex, and we rarely talk about it in any realistic, honest way. Most of the time, we just point out the ways in which we are wronged by the system, and ignore our own role in that system.

Sorry, it's the prof-thing coming out of me. I do some writing on the subject, and I can't keep away from these kinds of discussions.

24. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

I tend to agree with Archie on this.

Anti-Immigration and its surrounding topics have made Hispanic racism the "popular racism" of our generation. We are busy as a heavily caucasian nation apologizing to blacks and gay and lesbian communities for our "isims" toward them but its cool to hate on anyone crossing the border. We will be apologizing for that in 20 years.

Its a sad stupid circle. From where I'm sitting, Mayweather had no business saying what he did. Remember the flack Junior Seau took for saying that they got "Raped"? some things trigger popular anger or support and sadly somethings like Mayweather's rant more or less slide.

A government cannot change what someone believes in their soul. But society can create a cost. America, politically has championed the white vs. black relations worldwide. Largely and sadly to get votes. But little has been done to address the myriad of other class, group, and religious and social hatreds that exist.

It goes to show the Hypocracy in humanity as a whole.

25. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Haven't had a chance to catch up on the thread, but I just wanted to note that Helli called me the "N" word back in 2001 over AOL Instant Messenger.

Sorry brah--I held it in all these years.