Is this cheap/cheese????

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by nkmi1984, Feb 19, 2010.

1. nkmi1984

nkmi1984 Walk On

Is this cheap/cheese????

Ok guys I would like to get some feedback on this topic. As most of you know I run a spread offense and try to make it as real as a spread O can be. Now I have noticed something in the game that can work most of the time but it is to counter the D. I didnt try it in the SEC CG but easily could have. Imagine a defense stacking the box for the run and I am in shotgun 4 wide. Now if you are running 4-3 or 3-4 regardless if you are in man or zone there is ONE CB covering two WRs outside because the OLB is cheated inside the box. As a strategy to loosen the D up I can easily audible to a slant pass and hit the slot man going into the flats, almost like the quick passes you see most spread teams run. The slot guy catches the ball and the outside WR lays the block on the CB. The point of this is to get the D to play nickel or even dime and match up speed. This is not effective when matched against nickel, dime, or any D that has as many DBs as WRs on the field. The point is to keep the D honest. I personally do not think it is cheap or cheese. I know in real life any QB who sees that would make that call. It is like running a bubble screen. I believe that if someone puts 4 backers against a 4 WR look then they should be punished for it. I would like to hear what everyone thinks and have JD make a ruling. If I can use the strategy its fine, I have done well without it. Just would be another method of attacking stubborn defenses.

2. runthepound

runthepound Get on the Bus!

to me if you use it in moderation, it would be fine. but at the same time, it kinda takes advantage of the AI in the game. in real life, the d would adjust.

if you were playing me, I would adjust. I don't see any reason that if you are running a 4 WR set, for someone to come out in anything less than a nickle coverage.

just my thoughts, but I am kinda torn on if this is cheese or not.

3. nkmi1984

nkmi1984 Walk On

That is the point. The D should be in AT LEAST nickel. It does not really take advantage of the AI in my eyes because you have one guy covering two. Or you have an 80 speed LB against a 93 speed WR. Of course my plan is not to run it all game. But if i cant run out of spread formations what am I suppose to do??? Try to keep running at 7/8 guys out of shotgun??? The option choice is already flawed and unrealistic lol. The logical thing is to find the holes in the D. Just my opinion. Thanks Run for your input.

4. jdrhammer

jdrhammer S E C Speed

Changing the play to the slant is just basic, fundamental football. If he wants to stack the box, that's his call and he has to deal with it.

I've never seen you do anything cheezy and I think you run out of the spread better than anyone I've ever played against. A good bit of the time, especially against 3 WR's and sometimes 4, I'll leave a 4-3 out there but I know it's a little risky.

We want fundamental football. As close to RL as we can make it so I don't see any problem at all.

5. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Outsider looking in. I use Iowa in a OD on TF. They traditionally do not sub away from their 4-3 base defense in real life. I have used 4-3/nickel/dime according to wr sets for many seasons with them. This season in the OD, my corners are garbage. Top 2 are ok, but everybody else after that leaves a lot to be desired. I have three incredible LB's, two that are sr's and a jr rated at a 91 preseason. They also have good speed on the outside (86 and 90). Both are also true OLB's originally. I have great safeties also. This season I have been running the 4-3 against the 3 and 4 wr sets because my LB's are better in coverage than my 3rd and 4th corners. Again, this is in line with what Norm Parker does with the Iowa D in real life. Those are my feelings.

Mike

6. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

See nothing wrong with the strategy...
    It's up to the player to adjust to the offense...