Is this cheese?

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by TD351, Mar 4, 2010.

?

Does this sound like cheese

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. TD351

TD351 Walk On

Is this cheese?

I have an option play that I can regularly gain 1-4 yds with, ocasssionally busting for 10+yds, I like to run in a lot in order to get safe/small gains- most of the time I do not pitch and go inside with the QB. No opponent has called it cheese, but I have not used it much here at TF. I mostly use the play as a conservative run play to set up other runs or deep passes. I know that using a pass play over and over is cheese, but does that apply to a QB keeper option? It is stoppable for little or no gain, but only by opening up the passing lanes a bit, and one drawback is that the QB is more likely to fumble than other players, just wanted to get some opinions here.

2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I hate that play and should be used sparingly. Singleback Speed option.....terrible play and can gain positive yards probably 97% of the time.

3. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

it's the single back "speed" option... not to be confused with any other singeback option.

and with the crazy shit that is happening to me on the goaline this year, im just about to the point where it's going back in the playbook inside the 5 yard line.

4. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I was watching........redzone offense is dismal at LSU this year.

5. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

If you are referring to the ace big speed option play, I agree with jms that it is questionable to use that play excessively. You can easily gain 4-5 yards a pop with that play even with slow qb's. For some reason the LB AI just can't deal with that option play.

6. TD351

TD351 Walk On

It is speed option out of Shotgun Trips TE

7. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

I dont think it's cheese. Just like any play though. Dont abuse it.

8. TD351

TD351 Walk On

OK- I am just trying to find the line between "using it to set up other plays" and "using it too much"

9. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I hate that single back speed option. No matter what you call you can't stop it. Engage 8, lb's blitz, DE contain, LB contain, etc nothing works. Damn thing! That play and the QB keeper out of the fleXbox One where he follows the HB and FB through the hole is damn near impossible to stop too.

I think the way you described it could be on the edge of cheesy. If you're running it 10 times a game then I'd say that's too much.

10. LeGeNd RiPs

LeGeNd RiPs Is it football season yet?

And you shouldn't just run it on 3rd and long to get a first down because that's obviously not sim. If you're going for a more conservative approach then, sure, go for it, but otherwise, no.

11. TD351

TD351 Walk On

I dont use it on 3rd and long since it usually only gets me 5yds at the most- but it is a consistent 3 yard gainer- often even when the D knows it is coming.

12. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

IMO if your even asking/posting this question then in the back of your mind your probably thinking it is fishy. Look for other plays and put the show on the other foot...... ask yourself if this was getting done to me every offensive drive would I get annoyed? Respect playing the CPU just the same as you would a user.

13. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

says the man who cheesed the CPU for 300 plus yards with 1 WR when he wasn't "paying attention" ...lol

14. runthepound

runthepound Get on the Bus!

A play like this should not be run more than once or twice a game IMO

15. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

300 yards with one WR...damn!!

Anyways, back to the subject and just looking at the poll....maybe I am just missing something. I am not familiar with the singleback speed option or the glitches that might come with it....so umm whatever. I will leave it to all the other experts

16. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

agreed....and that game should have been thrown out. Do as I say not what I do!

I might have no problem raping Ryno next week with Ellis for 300+ yards:biggun:

17. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

JMS is coming to town, ill make sure to put out the good toilet paper...

[​IMG]

18. TD351

TD351 Walk On

I don't know if it is a "glitch" so much as it requires total commmitment to stop it from gaining anything less that 3-5 yards per play- so it can be used safely to grind out first downs, and then when the defense adjusts to this play you can go over the top. I guess it does have weaknesses, like I said: likely fumbles and it takes a lot of time so you can't use it for quick scores, but it is very rarley stopped for a loss. I think it may not be "sim" because in real life the entire defense would probably adjust in a way that the game AI is not capable of doing.

19. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Is everyone on the same page here? Everyone who's answered is talking about a singleback speed option which sounds like they're talking about the ACE Big Twins Speed Option, or at the very least, some form of "under center" speed option.

The OP is talking about a SG speed option.
    In spread playbooks, I think it's likely that every SG formation has a speed option play.

Are those of you who are saying that it's cheese saying that all speed options are cheese (like the one out of SG trips TE that the OP is talking about)?

20. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I don't think it's cheese...speed option from the shotgun that is.

The cheesy one that people are talking about is the speed option under center in singleback, that's a guaranteed 4-10 yards on just keepers.

21. Maximus21

Maximus21 BCS Chaos - Syracuse

I definitely agree with this point of view.

22. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

Any speed option play or option play from under center is good for positive yards if you just cut it up with the QB. I absolutely hate that play.

Is it cheese, no. But the way you are describing it would be pretty borderline imo since you run it a lot.

Cutting it up with the QB is so hard to stop, that's why you see people online who will literally run nothing but this play.

Don't try to run commit it (which is even worse anyway), all you can do is hope the QB fumbles or you will get lucky and stop them 4-and-out.

23. Jman

Jman It's a Flying Circus!

I put no, but only if you aren't using it all the fucking time. I call it now again and now I'm going QB the whole way, but, that's because I coach in an offense where we run the speed o out of two-tight and make a predetermined call that usually involves threatening the QB with taking his first born if he pitches.

If you are using it all the time though or just on 3rd and 1's...then its cheez-whiz IMHO. Get a real FB then 3rd and 1's are easy :p

24. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Since so many people have posted an issue with the ace big speed option, I'm curious if any have considered actually banning the play since it's seems that pretty much everyone agrees its overly effective due to shoddy AI. I'm thinking of this in the same vein as how the 1-5-5 is entirely banned due to OL AI not being able to deal with it.

25. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

It's not a cheesy play if ran in a sim fashion. If you're purposely calling the play with the full intention of the QB keeping it and hitting the C gap, it's full on cheese.

However, if you're calling the play in a sim fashion where your intent is to get to the edge quick with the QB and read the DE/OLB/CB who has edge responsibilities to make a pitch or keep it, the play works the same as all the other option plays. At TF, this really shouldn't be questioned. People realize completely that running it as QB off tackle is unstoppable and unsim. Nobody here should be running any play with a state of mind like that I wouldn't think.